WinXP, PS/2 (wired) compatible mouse/Dell. It is very, very touchy. In
email, if I hit the delete, it will grab and delete 2 messages. If I have
two windows open and I (very gently) hit close on one window, both windows
will close. When I click on messages in this forum, it acts like I double
clicked it and opens in a new window.

Folder Options-Double Click is selected.
Advanced Settings - Fast Initialization is not marked.
Driver - no updated driver can be found.
I cleaned the mouse itself.
I have used every setting on the scale for "fastness" of the mouse in the
control panel. From slow to fast setting. Nothing made a difference. But
that's the double clicking speed. I'm frustrated when I just click once
wanting to select something and it acts like I double clicked it.

I run every virus/spyware/adaware program known to man. McAfee is running
all the time. I also use Spyware Doctor, SpyBot, Lavasoft Adaware, Ccleaner,
Microsoft's Anti-virus, and I run these at least once a day.

I don't know what else to tell you about, I just learned all this stuff by
reading this group. My mouse is very touchy, double clicking when I single
click, and it's getting frustrating, now.

dl

buy a new mouse
or try removing the ball and cleaning the gunge out of it