Verizon Push To Talk

Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife says
here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.

"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife says
> here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
> did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
> not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
> want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.

Can't be done.

In <lpidnbJb1oQKqnbcRVn-rA@adelphia.com> "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> writes:
>"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife says
>> here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
>> did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
>> not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
>> want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.

>Can't be done.

Can't be done at this point, but the various cellular companies are
talking to each other about interconnection of this sort. Don't hold your
breath, though. PTT is one of those captive services they use to try to
hold onto their own customers, so they're of conflicting minds about
establishing easy cross-connect.

It's just barely possible the original poster's friend is part of a test
group where this has been enabled. Highly unlikely, though.

dannyb@panix.com

"danny burstein" <dannyb@panix.com> wrote in message
> In <lpidnbJb1oQKqnbcRVn-rA@adelphia.com> "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> writes:
> >"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >> Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife
says
> >> here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
> >> did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
> >> not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
> >> want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.
>
> >Can't be done.
>
> Can't be done at this point, but the various cellular companies are
> talking to each other about interconnection of this sort. Don't hold your
> breath, though. PTT is one of those captive services they use to try to
> hold onto their own customers, so they're of conflicting minds about
> establishing easy cross-connect.

I don't think there is any conflict of mind. Product differentiation
disappears if anybody can use PTT to talk to anybody else, regardless of
carrier. While the rest of the industry would love it, there is no benefit
to Nextel to develop this.

> It's just barely possible the original poster's friend is part of a test
> group where this has been enabled. Highly unlikely, though.

Very unlikely- if they were going to test intercarrier, they would have
chosen their new best friend- Sprint.