Verizon Push To Talk

Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife says
here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.
3 answers Last reply
More about verizon push talk
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife says
    > here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
    > did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
    > not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
    > want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.

    Can't be done.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    In <lpidnbJb1oQKqnbcRVn-rA@adelphia.com> "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> writes:
    >"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife says
    >> here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
    >> did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
    >> not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
    >> want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.

    >Can't be done.

    Can't be done at this point, but the various cellular companies are
    talking to each other about interconnection of this sort. Don't hold your
    breath, though. PTT is one of those captive services they use to try to
    hold onto their own customers, so they're of conflicting minds about
    establishing easy cross-connect.

    It's just barely possible the original poster's friend is part of a test
    group where this has been enabled. Highly unlikely, though.

    dannyb@panix.com
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    "danny burstein" <dannyb@panix.com> wrote in message
    > In <lpidnbJb1oQKqnbcRVn-rA@adelphia.com> "Scott Stephenson"
    <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> writes:
    > >"Michael Greene" <wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >> Any way someone with Verizon can 2-Way someone with Nextel? My wife
    says
    > >> here friend, who has Nextel, can 2-Way her husband, who has Verizon. I
    > >> did not know that was possible. Checked Verizon's web site and it did
    > >> not mention anything about being able to 2-Way Nextel phones. Didn't
    > >> want to just tell my wife that she was wrong, wanted to ask first.
    >
    > >Can't be done.
    >
    > Can't be done at this point, but the various cellular companies are
    > talking to each other about interconnection of this sort. Don't hold your
    > breath, though. PTT is one of those captive services they use to try to
    > hold onto their own customers, so they're of conflicting minds about
    > establishing easy cross-connect.

    I don't think there is any conflict of mind. Product differentiation
    disappears if anybody can use PTT to talk to anybody else, regardless of
    carrier. While the rest of the industry would love it, there is no benefit
    to Nextel to develop this.

    > It's just barely possible the original poster's friend is part of a test
    > group where this has been enabled. Highly unlikely, though.

    Very unlikely- if they were going to test intercarrier, they would have
    chosen their new best friend- Sprint.

Nextel Verizon Internet Service Providers