No wireless light on SpeedStream SS2624

My husband purchased a used Siemens wireless DSL/Cable router model
SS2624. I currently have it hooked up to my main PC via cables and
can connect without issue to the Internet.

My second PC is upstairs and tonight I installed a D-Link 802.11b PCI
wireless adapter. Windows XP says the card is installed correctly,
yet it is not connecting to the wireless router.

The wireless light on the router hasn't come on once since I hooked it
up & plugged it in. Could it be a bad router? From what I
understand, both the router & the card should be able to communicate
with one another.

Both PC are running Windows XP. The PC upstairs is set to allow
Windows to configure my wireless network settings. The router setting
are the default settings--I have not changed them.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks.
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wifi is not yet plug-and-play. Especially not when you mix hardware from two
different vendors.

We need more information to help. Start with the D-Link.

Does its site survey list show the router's SSID in the active network list?
If not, be sure the router is configured to broadcast the SSID.

If you see the SSID in the active network list, is there an indication that
it is secured (using WEP or WPA encryption)? If so, reconfigure the router
to disable encrytpion until you get things going. While you're at it, be
sure all encryption is disabled on the D-Link adapter as well.

It sounds like you have a used router. Are you sure it's using configuration
defaults, or the previous owner's settings? You might want to do a firmware
reset to force it back to default settings, just so that you start from a
known configuration.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 03:14:20 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Wifi is not yet plug-and-play. Especially not when you mix hardware from two
>different vendors.
>
>We need more information to help. Start with the D-Link.
>
>Does its site survey list show the router's SSID in the active network list?
>If not, be sure the router is configured to broadcast the SSID.

No, there is no wireless network coming up.

>If you see the SSID in the active network list, is there an indication that
>it is secured (using WEP or WPA encryption)? If so, reconfigure the router
>to disable encrytpion until you get things going. While you're at it, be
>sure all encryption is disabled on the D-Link adapter as well.

Encryption is disabled on both the router & the D-link card.

>It sounds like you have a used router. Are you sure it's using configuration
>defaults, or the previous owner's settings? You might want to do a firmware
>reset to force it back to default settings, just so that you start from a
>known configuration.

It is a used router. I ran the set up program and programmed it to
use the defaults presented to me. There is a firmware available but I
have not yet installed it.
-----

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 03:14:20 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Wifi is not yet plug-and-play. Especially not when you mix hardware from
two
> >different vendors.
> >
> >We need more information to help. Start with the D-Link.
> >
> >Does its site survey list show the router's SSID in the active network
list?
> >If not, be sure the router is configured to broadcast the SSID.
>
> No, there is no wireless network coming up.
> >
> >If you see the SSID in the active network list, is there an indication
that
> >it is secured (using WEP or WPA encryption)? If so, reconfigure the
router
> >to disable encrytpion until you get things going. While you're at it, be
> >sure all encryption is disabled on the D-Link adapter as well.
>
> Encryption is disabled on both the router & the D-link card.
> >
> >It sounds like you have a used router. Are you sure it's using
configuration
> >defaults, or the previous owner's settings? You might want to do a
firmware
> >reset to force it back to default settings, just so that you start from a
> >known configuration.
> >
> It is a used router. I ran the set up program and programmed it to
> use the defaults presented to me. There is a firmware available but I
> have not yet installed it.

I meant a reset, not an upgrade. The fact that the router's wireless port
light does not come on probably indicates that the access point in the
router is not coming up (or else the light is burned out). The light should
be on, whether the D-Link client is there or not. If you could reset, you
would be absolutely sure you are starting from factory defaults.

I found a full set of docs at

http://kb.efficient.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45966&r=0.6760675

I can't find any instructions for resetting although there must be a way.

It's possible you bought a lemon - the original owner had some reason to
sell. There doesn't seem to be any screen that shows wireless status. There
is a very elementrary wireless config screen. I assume that on this screen
you have enabled "allow LAN access by ALL Wireless stations". You said WEP
is disabled, and there don't appear to be many other wireless controls. So,
if the light isn't on, and you don't see the SSID at the D-Link, it doesn't
sound good for the router.

Here's a long shot - is this a European device being operated in the U.S.?
That is, on the wireless config screen, does "regulatory domain" say
something other than USA? If so, check to see if the channel is set above
11. That won't work in the U.S., and strictly speaking, it's not legal. Even
if this is the case, your wireless port light should be on.

> -----
> Kim/Dreamspinner3
> Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/

Adam

Most people at Amazon rate this router as very bad product. With today's
prices wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a 802.11b D-Link router for few dollars
to match the card, rather then trying to diagnose this peace of junk.

I agree but my husband insists I must have done something wrong. His
friends tell him it must be a software problem but none of them have
looked at the hardware itself yet.

"Adam" <replyto@newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Most people at Amazon rate this router as very bad product. With today's
> prices wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a 802.11b D-Link router for few
dollars
> to match the card, rather then trying to diagnose this peace of junk.

At this point, I agree.