After several windows updates the dvdrom beguins erratic (not always working)
readings of audio and cdrom cd until the last update that only reads
COMMERCIAL dvd's and NOT recorded by myself.
I believe a firmware update should fix the problem.
As I have have a compaq presario notebook that supports only a dvd or
diskette drive at one time. How can I update the dvd rom firmware as I can't
use the diskette drive at the same time as the dvd rome drive? The firmware I
have can't be executed from windows. It should be using a bootable diskette.
Besides the pc bios doesn't support booting from external USB drive which
could be an option.
I have a Question: Can I use a FAT partion on my HD that contains the
firmware
upgrade and boot it using PQBOOTX.EXE included in Partition Magic?
Please help.
Thank you
I'm using Windows XP SP2, DVD-rom: LG DRN8080B (reader only)

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004

Hi .... Can't you not downloaded from the internet ?

"atgarlin" <atgarlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After several windows updates the dvdrom beguins erratic (not always
> working)
> readings of audio and cdrom cd until the last update that only reads
> COMMERCIAL dvd's and NOT recorded by myself.
> I believe a firmware update should fix the problem.
> As I have have a compaq presario notebook that supports only a dvd or
> diskette drive at one time. How can I update the dvd rom firmware as I
> can't
> use the diskette drive at the same time as the dvd rome drive? The
> firmware I
> have can't be executed from windows. It should be using a bootable
> diskette.
> Besides the pc bios doesn't support booting from external USB drive which
> could be an option.
> I have a Question: Can I use a FAT partion on my HD that contains the
> firmware
> upgrade and boot it using PQBOOTX.EXE included in Partition Magic?
> Please help.
> Thank you
> I'm using Windows XP SP2, DVD-rom: LG DRN8080B (reader only)

Hi RoadRunner!
I had downloaded the firmware upgrade from the internet and made a bootable
diskette following the corresponding instructions and afterwords moved it to
fat partition on my hd for further processing if it is possible to do it.
That is why I'm asking if I can boot using Partitions Magic booting software
PQBootx.exe in order to upgrade the firmware when my DVDrom drive is
inserted in my laptop.

"RoadRunner" wrote:

> Hi .... Can't you not downloaded from the internet ?
>

> "atgarlin" <atgarlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After several windows updates the dvdrom beguins erratic (not always
> > working)
> > readings of audio and cdrom cd until the last update that only reads
> > COMMERCIAL dvd's and NOT recorded by myself.
> > I believe a firmware update should fix the problem.
> > As I have have a compaq presario notebook that supports only a dvd or
> > diskette drive at one time. How can I update the dvd rom firmware as I
> > can't
> > use the diskette drive at the same time as the dvd rome drive? The
> > firmware I
> > have can't be executed from windows. It should be using a bootable
> > diskette.
> > Besides the pc bios doesn't support booting from external USB drive which
> > could be an option.
> > I have a Question: Can I use a FAT partion on my HD that contains the
> > firmware
> > upgrade and boot it using PQBOOTX.EXE included in Partition Magic?
> > Please help.
> > Thank you
> > I'm using Windows XP SP2, DVD-rom: LG DRN8080B (reader only)

1. It is possible to make a bootable CD that contains the firmware, but
I can't tell you whether or not the relevant software needs to know
where to find the firmware to be loaded.

2. If I remember correctly, once you boot your machine, the boot disk
is no longer required. Hence it should be possible to make a bootable
CD, boot from it, and then swap the disk with the one containing the
firmware.

---
There's no such frigging thing as "off of"

map

atgarlin wrote:
> After several windows updates the dvdrom beguins erratic (not always
> working) readings of audio and cdrom cd until the last update that
> only reads COMMERCIAL dvd's and NOT recorded by myself.
> I believe a firmware update should fix the problem.
> As I have have a compaq presario notebook that supports only a dvd or
> diskette drive at one time. How can I update the dvd rom firmware as
> I can't use the diskette drive at the same time as the dvd rome
> drive? The firmware I have can't be executed from windows. It should
> be using a bootable diskette. Besides the pc bios doesn't support
> booting from external USB drive which could be an option.
> I have a Question: Can I use a FAT partion on my HD that contains the
> firmware
> upgrade and boot it using PQBOOTX.EXE included in Partition Magic?
> Please help.
> Thank you
> I'm using Windows XP SP2, DVD-rom: LG DRN8080B (reader only)

Put the make and model # of your drive in the searchfield at the link below
if this site has a firmware update for your drive you can .exe the update
from windows,no need to use a floppy to boot from anymore that is old
school.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces=SONY+DVD+RW+DRU-800A

--
Mike Pawlak

Hi Mike
I just did it but they only have exe file for floppy update as per
instructions included.