apparent DNS resolution issie with Dell 8200 -I'm stuck

My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a problem
connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.

I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
(Office, Roxio etc).

Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.

To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router (there is
another computer connected to the router that does not have this problem).

Things that did not work:
Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt

ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew

replacing networek card

reinstalling windows XP SP2

netsh winsock reset catalog

winsockXPfix

I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?
12 answers Last reply
More about apparent resolution issie dell 8200 stuck

    "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a problem
    > connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >
    > I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    > reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    > (Office, Roxio etc).
    >
    > Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >
    > To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    > entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    > computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router (there
    > is another computer connected to the router that does not have this
    > problem).
    >
    > Things that did not work:
    > Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >
    > ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >
    > replacing networek card
    >
    > reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >
    > netsh winsock reset catalog
    >
    > winsockXPfix
    >

    > I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?

    Keith -

    When did the networking puke out on you? A week ago, a month... ? I assume
    that you already performed a (windows) system restore back to a prior
    working date.

    Also, are you sure that the OS is clean of virus/adware/spyware nasties by
    updating scanning with your AV and adaware/spybot/ms anti-spyware. ?

    Additionally, look at any known software changes on or prior to the
    malfunction....

    Stew

    Check the following items if you have them:

    Firewall
    Antivirus
    Anti-Adware
    Anti-Spyware

    On another forum a while back there was a posting about this where the
    host file was corrupted with similar sounding problems.

    KC

    Keith S. wrote:
    > My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a
    > problem connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >
    > I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    > reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    > (Office, Roxio etc).
    >
    > Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >
    > To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    > entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    > computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router
    > (there is another computer connected to the router that does not have
    > this problem).
    > Things that did not work:
    > Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >
    > ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >
    > replacing networek card
    >
    > reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >
    > netsh winsock reset catalog
    >
    > winsockXPfix
    >

    > I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?

    Check your router, make certain it's dns server is enabled. The router
    web management is 192.168.0.1, .1.1 or the like, depending on the
    vendor. Reboot the computer following this, then again check the
    router's dhcp client table to make sure your computer is listed.

    I tried a system restore, no benefit, so I performed an entire clean system
    re-install also without benefit -to Win XP sp2 all patches current

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a
    >> problem connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >>
    >> I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    >> reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    >> (Office, Roxio etc).
    >>
    >> Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >>
    >> To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    >> entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    >> computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router (there
    >> is another computer connected to the router that does not have this
    >> problem).
    >>
    >> Things that did not work:
    >> Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >>
    >> ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >>
    >> replacing networek card
    >>
    >> reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> netsh winsock reset catalog
    >>
    >> winsockXPfix
    >>

    >> I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?
    >>

    > Keith -
    >
    > When did the networking puke out on you? A week ago, a month... ? I
    > assume that you already performed a (windows) system restore back to a
    > prior working date.
    >
    > Also, are you sure that the OS is clean of virus/adware/spyware nasties by
    > updating scanning with your AV and adaware/spybot/ms anti-spyware. ?
    >
    > Additionally, look at any known software changes on or prior to the
    > malfunction....
    >

    > Stew

    Firewall -windows
    Antivirus -norton 2002 with current updates
    Anti-Adware -none
    Anti-Spyware - none (had Microsoft anti-spyware, AdAware 1.06 & Spybot
    1.4 -not replaced after clean reinstall of windows)

    "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Check the following items if you have them:
    >
    > Firewall
    > Antivirus
    > Anti-Adware
    > Anti-Spyware
    >
    > On another forum a while back there was a posting about this where the
    > host file was corrupted with similar sounding problems.
    >
    > KC
    >
    > "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a
    >> problem
    >> connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >>
    >> I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    >> reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    >> (Office, Roxio etc).
    >>
    >> Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >>
    >> To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    >> entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    >> computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router (there
    > is
    >> another computer connected to the router that does not have this
    >> problem).
    >>
    >> Things that did not work:
    >> Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >>
    >> ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >>
    >> replacing networek card
    >>
    >> reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> netsh winsock reset catalog
    >>
    >> winsockXPfix
    >>

    >> I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?

    done -my computer is listed

    > Keith S. wrote:
    >> My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a
    >> problem connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >>
    >> I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    >> reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    >> (Office, Roxio etc).
    >>
    >> Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >>
    >> To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    >> entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    >> computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router
    >> (there is another computer connected to the router that does not have
    >> this problem).
    >> Things that did not work:
    >> Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >>
    >> ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >>
    >> replacing networek card
    >>
    >> reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> netsh winsock reset catalog
    >>
    >> winsockXPfix
    >>

    >> I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?
    >
    > Check your router, make certain it's dns server is enabled. The router
    > web management is 192.168.0.1, .1.1 or the like, depending on the vendor.
    > Reboot the computer following this, then again check the router's dhcp
    > client table to make sure your computer is listed.

    Let me thank all of you for taking the time to assist.

    > Keith S. wrote:
    >> My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a
    >> problem connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >>
    >> I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    >> reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    >> (Office, Roxio etc).
    >>
    >> Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >>
    >> To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    >> entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    >> computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router
    >> (there is another computer connected to the router that does not have
    >> this problem).
    >> Things that did not work:
    >> Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >>
    >> ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >>
    >> replacing networek card
    >>
    >> reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> netsh winsock reset catalog
    >>
    >> winsockXPfix
    >>

    >> I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?
    >
    > Check your router, make certain it's dns server is enabled. The router
    > web management is 192.168.0.1, .1.1 or the like, depending on the vendor.
    > Reboot the computer following this, then again check the router's dhcp
    > client table to make sure your computer is listed.

    If you can ping an address, but not a URL, it probably is a DNS problem.
    Use the ipconfig /all command to see if you are showing DNS address obtained
    from DHCP. For that matter, what addresses are you showing for everything,
    gateway, DNS, etc.

    Other things to do, beside the spyware stuff, would be to delete your
    temporary internet files, or cache, or whatever.

    Clark

    "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dimension 8200 with a Linksys network card recently developed a problem
    > connecting to web sites: I can ping address but not web sites.
    >
    > I tried winsock repairs, changed the network card, reformated and
    > reinstalled windows, kept anything but vanila software off my system
    > (Office, Roxio etc).
    >
    > Swirched with different cable modems, but the problem comes back.
    >
    > To resolve it (temporarily) -I openen local area connections, alll the
    > entries, close the window, then resched all the entries, reboot the
    > computer, also I reboot the cable modem and Linksys gateway router (there
    > is another computer connected to the router that does not have this
    > problem).
    >
    > Things that did not work:
    > Netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt
    >
    > ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    >
    > replacing networek card
    >
    > reinstalling windows XP SP2
    >
    > netsh winsock reset catalog
    >
    > winsockXPfix
    >

    > I am stuck on this on- can anyone offer guidance?

    Thats what I am experiencing - I frequently delete temp files and internet
    cache without benefit

    > no -its still a problem -it is intermittant
    >
    > -I just am thankful for everyones attempts to help - this is a very good
    > newsgroup and I appreciate everyones response -

    Funny. If it were an intermittent problem with the router, then I'd think
    your other machine would display the same problems.

    I'm sure you've tried your PCI network card in a different slot......(that
    it might be that specific slot itself.....)

    Stew

    Actually - i haven't tried changing the network card slot - I will try that.

    (I'm low on slots since my video card received a 2 slot Arctic cooler)

    > "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> no -its still a problem -it is intermittant
    >>
    >> -I just am thankful for everyones attempts to help - this is a very good
    >> newsgroup and I appreciate everyones response -
    >>

    > Funny. If it were an intermittent problem with the router, then I'd think
    > your other machine would display the same problems.
    >
    > I'm sure you've tried your PCI network card in a different slot......(that
    > it might be that specific slot itself.....)
    >

    > Stew

    It appears the cause of the problme is Microsoft Active synch version 3.8.
    Using msconfig to prevent it from loading on startup seems to have resolved
    this issue

    I had recently upgraded from version 3.7 when my PDA needed from placement.

    > Actually - i haven't tried changing the network card slot - I will try
    > that.
    >
    > (I'm low on slots since my video card received a 2 slot Arctic cooler)
    >

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> no -its still a problem -it is intermittant
    >>>
    >>> -I just am thankful for everyones attempts to help - this is a very good
    >>> newsgroup and I appreciate everyones response -
    >>>

    >> Funny. If it were an intermittent problem with the router, then I'd
    >> think your other machine would display the same problems.
    >>
    >> I'm sure you've tried your PCI network card in a different
    >> slot......(that it might be that specific slot itself.....)
    >>

    >> Stew

Dell Network Card Computers