WRT54G Doesn't Send Correct IP Address

In trying to run down a friend's network problem between two XP Home
computers and a LinkSys WRT54G Router, I noticed that the router is
not sending the IP address expected on the wireless connection. The
problem has been that both computers can connect to the internet, but
can't see each other. Now I see why. The desktop, hardwired from a
NIC, gets a what you would expect 192.168.1.100 (may not be exact.)
It has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The laptop (wireless) gets a
completely unrelated IP address (beginning with 162 or 168, and a
subnet mask of 255,255,0.0. The connection to the modem through the
router works, but of course it can't find the desktop. What do I need
to do to get the WRT54G to sent the correct IP address to the laptop?
17 answers Last reply
More about wrt54g doesn send correct address

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > In trying to run down a friend's network problem between two XP Home
    > computers and a LinkSys WRT54G Router, I noticed that the router is
    > not sending the IP address expected on the wireless connection. The
    > problem has been that both computers can connect to the internet, but
    > can't see each other. Now I see why. The desktop, hardwired from a
    > NIC, gets a what you would expect 192.168.1.100 (may not be exact.)
    > It has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

    > The laptop (wireless) gets a
    > completely unrelated IP address (beginning with 162 or 168, and a
    > subnet mask of 255,255,0.0. The connection to the modem through the
    > router works, but of course it can't find the desktop. What do I need
    > to do to get the WRT54G to sent the correct IP address to the laptop?

    If the machine is not getting a DHCP IP from the DHCP server in the router,
    then it may be a sign that machine is having some kind of time out condition
    in getting an IP from the DHCP server in the router. The IP being assigned
    may allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN. However, the
    machine will not be able to access the Internet. This is usually due to a
    mis-configuration of the NIC.

    Did you connect the machine to the wire on the router and does the problem
    follow? If it does, then it may be a sign that the TCP/IP Stack may be
    locked and will need to be reset.

    Duane :)

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    > It has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The laptop (wireless) gets a
    > completely unrelated IP address (beginning with 162 or 168, and a
    > subnet mask of 255,255,0.0. The connection to the modem through the
    > router works, but of course it can't find the desktop. What do I need
    > to do to get the WRT54G to sent the correct IP address to the laptop?

    That looks like a Windows Auto-Configuration IP address, which happens if
    no DHCP is found.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q220874
    169.254.x.y - subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

    --
    ---

    That sure seems to nail the problem. I'm wondering now if there is a
    problem with the router itself. My own laptop, that works perfectly
    on my own wireless network, got the same auto-config IP address. The
    fact that a hard-wired computer gets the correct DHCP assigned IP
    address, and the wireless laptops do not should be a clue for me to
    work on.

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 05:05:19 +0000 (UTC), dold@WRT54GXDoe.usenet.us.com
    wrote:

    >Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >> It has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The laptop (wireless) gets a
    >> completely unrelated IP address (beginning with 162 or 168, and a
    >> subnet mask of 255,255,0.0. The connection to the modem through the
    >> router works, but of course it can't find the desktop. What do I need
    >> to do to get the WRT54G to sent the correct IP address to the laptop?
    >
    >That looks like a Windows Auto-Configuration IP address, which happens if
    >no DHCP is found.
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q220874
    >169.254.x.y - subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

    the 162.xxx address is assigned by Microsoft when
    - no static IP is pre-defined on the PC
    - no DHCP address was retrieved for the PC
    I would address that problem first -
    Not sure how they could be connecting to the Internet
    thru your router - with a local 162.xxx address ?
    Go to the start / run / cmd / and in the DOS window type - route print -
    that should show you how your network looks to the PC -

    Not seeing each other is a Netbios problem with the "MS sharing"
    and that comes after solving the IP problem -
    Can only see each other if they have something to share...
    and the firewall is allowing 135 -139 ports to be open
    and .....etc...

    > That sure seems to nail the problem. I'm wondering now if there is a
    > problem with the router itself. My own laptop, that works perfectly
    > on my own wireless network, got the same auto-config IP address. The
    > fact that a hard-wired computer gets the correct DHCP assigned IP
    > address, and the wireless laptops do not should be a clue for me to
    > work on.

    How do you know that you are even connected to the AP ?
    Can you see the MACs listed inside the router status ?
    of the hardwired PC ?
    Is there any WEP or WPA that is turned on ?

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:27:49 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

    >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >> That sure seems to nail the problem. I'm wondering now if there is a
    >> problem with the router itself. My own laptop, that works perfectly
    >> on my own wireless network, got the same auto-config IP address. The
    >> fact that a hard-wired computer gets the correct DHCP assigned IP
    >> address, and the wireless laptops do not should be a clue for me to
    >> work on.
    >>
    >How do you know that you are even connected to the AP ?
    >Can you see the MACs listed inside the router status ?
    > of the hardwired PC ?
    >Is there any WEP or WPA that is turned on ?

    The only computer appearing in the router status is the hard-wired
    desktop. All security is temporarily turned off. I am going to try
    using static IP's.

    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:27:49 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    > <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
    >

    > >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > >> That sure seems to nail the problem. I'm wondering now if there is a
    > >> problem with the router itself. My own laptop, that works perfectly
    > >> on my own wireless network, got the same auto-config IP address. The
    > >> fact that a hard-wired computer gets the correct DHCP assigned IP
    > >> address, and the wireless laptops do not should be a clue for me to
    > >> work on.
    > >>
    > >How do you know that you are even connected to the AP ?
    > >Can you see the MACs listed inside the router status ?
    > > of the hardwired PC ?
    > >Is there any WEP or WPA that is turned on ?
    > >

    > The only computer appearing in the router status is the hard-wired
    > desktop. All security is temporarily turned off. I am going to try
    > using static IP's.

    I don't know if the first post ever made it.

    It sounds to me like you have a mis-configuration of the NIC that is
    preventing the machine from getting a IP from the DHCP server on the
    router. That's usually what it means if you get an IP that has not been
    issued from the DHCP server.

    Have you tried a wired connection with the machine to the router? A wired
    connection may not work either now, because the TCP/IP stack on the machine
    may be locked.

    Did you try a IPCONFIG /release and /renew to see if the machine will get an
    IP from the DHCP Server?

    You may not be able to use a static IP either, if the TCP/IP Stack is
    locked.

    Duane :)

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    > The only computer appearing in the router status is the hard-wired
    > desktop. All security is temporarily turned off. I am going to try
    > using static IP's.

    Which machine are you using to access the router status? If it is the
    hardwired machine, how are you sure that the laptops are connecting to
    _this_ AP, and not some other one? Try turning the AP off, and see if the
    laptop connection goes away.

    Can you share between these two laptops if you connect them to the wired
    router? Sharing is not on by default in Windows XP. There is a firewall
    that is turned on by default.

    --
    ---

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:48:24 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@WRT54GXDoe.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >> The only computer appearing in the router status is the hard-wired
    >> desktop. All security is temporarily turned off. I am going to try
    >> using static IP's.
    >
    >Which machine are you using to access the router status? If it is the
    >hardwired machine, how are you sure that the laptops are connecting to
    >_this_ AP, and not some other one? Try turning the AP off, and see if the
    >laptop connection goes away.
    >
    >Can you share between these two laptops if you connect them to the wired
    >router? Sharing is not on by default in Windows XP. There is a firewall
    >that is turned on by default.

    I will try turning the router off, but I seriously doubt that the
    connection is coming from somewhere else. The available connection
    description is correct, and we can access our e-mail accounts without
    a problem. This would not be possible if we were not connected to our
    own provider. Also, there is no house within at least 200 feet that
    would even have internet access. I will also try sharing using a hard
    wired connection at the router. I feel certain that it will work.

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    > description is correct, and we can access our e-mail accounts without
    > a problem. This would not be possible if we were not connected to our
    > own provider. Also, there is no house within at least 200 feet that

    That is not true for most cases.
    I connect via cable modem, and my email account is not with them.

    --
    ---

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:45:45 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@WRT54GXDoe.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >> description is correct, and we can access our e-mail accounts without
    >> a problem. This would not be possible if we were not connected to our
    >> own provider. Also, there is no house within at least 200 feet that
    >
    >That is not true for most cases.
    >I connect via cable modem, and my email account is not with them.

    With this ISP, (CableOne in Arizona) the ONLY way you can access your
    e-mail when not actually on their server, is to use web e-mail through
    your browser. There is no other way to get your e-mail when on the
    road.

    > I will try turning the router off, but I seriously doubt that the
    > connection is coming from somewhere else. The available connection
    > description is correct, and we can access our e-mail accounts without
    > a problem. This would not be possible if we were not connected to our
    > own provider.

    I'm confused - you say you can connect to your email accounts,
    and yet - you don't have a valid address behind the router ???
    Those 2 statements are mutually exclusive -
    right - you are getting the 162.xxx address
    and I'm guessing that the router is not setup for a segment of 162.xxx ?
    what address does the hardwired PC show ?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:13:22 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

    >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >> I will try turning the router off, but I seriously doubt that the
    >> connection is coming from somewhere else. The available connection
    >> description is correct, and we can access our e-mail accounts without
    >> a problem. This would not be possible if we were not connected to our
    >> own provider.
    >
    >I'm confused - you say you can connect to your email accounts,
    >and yet - you don't have a valid address behind the router ???
    >Those 2 statements are mutually exclusive -
    > right - you are getting the 162.xxx address
    > and I'm guessing that the router is not setup for a segment of 162.xxx ?
    > what address does the hardwired PC show ?

    The hardwired PC get a DHCP assigned IP address of 192.168.1.100,
    which is the starting (default) address for the WRT54g to start
    issuing. The laptops (both of them) operating wireless, can only get
    a Windows assigned IP address of 162.XXX. The laptops can see the
    Internet through the router using these IP's, but cannot see each
    other. The WRT54g does not seem to recognize these Windows assigned
    IP's as part of the network, and won't let them join the network.

    That's the problem. How do I get the WRT54g to issue a DHCP assigned
    address to the laptops, or how can I get the WRT54g to recognize the
    Windows assigned IP's as part of the network?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:39:03 -0700, Dick spoketh

    >On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:13:22 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    ><pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >>> I will try turning the router off, but I seriously doubt that the
    >>> connection is coming from somewhere else. The available connection
    >>> description is correct, and we can access our e-mail accounts without
    >>> a problem. This would not be possible if we were not connected to our
    >>> own provider.
    >>
    >>I'm confused - you say you can connect to your email accounts,
    >>and yet - you don't have a valid address behind the router ???
    >>Those 2 statements are mutually exclusive -
    >> right - you are getting the 162.xxx address
    >> and I'm guessing that the router is not setup for a segment of 162.xxx ?
    >> what address does the hardwired PC show ?
    >>

    >The hardwired PC get a DHCP assigned IP address of 192.168.1.100,
    >which is the starting (default) address for the WRT54g to start
    >issuing. The laptops (both of them) operating wireless, can only get
    >a Windows assigned IP address of 162.XXX. The laptops can see the
    >Internet through the router using these IP's, but cannot see each
    >other. The WRT54g does not seem to recognize these Windows assigned
    >IP's as part of the network, and won't let them join the network.
    >
    >That's the problem. How do I get the WRT54g to issue a DHCP assigned
    >address to the laptops, or how can I get the WRT54g to recognize the
    >Windows assigned IP's as part of the network?

    162.x.x.x doesn't make much sense as an address. It's not a private IP
    address as defined in the RFC, nor is it what Windows uses for automatic
    assignments w/o a DHCP server.

    Are you sure you are connecting to the correct Access Point, and that
    you're not connecting to someone elses? If you are connecting to someone
    else Access Point, and they have used "whacky" IP addresses on their
    LAN, then that could explain why you can get to the internet without
    having an IP address which isn't valid for your LAN.

    Troubleshooting tips:
    * Verify that the SSIDs match on the AP and on the computer(s)
    * Verify that authentication type is set to "open" or "Auto"
    * If you're using WEP or WPA-PSK, make sure that the keys match.
    * Try static IP address on the wireless computers. For some reason,
    some DHCP servers just doesn't work well with wireless clients... Make
    sure the DNS and Gateway IP addresses are correct when doing this.
    * If you've disabled SSID broadcast, consider enabling it for a while
    during troubleshooting...

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net
  15. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:54:16 GMT, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >162.x.x.x doesn't make much sense as an address. It's not a private IP
    >address as defined in the RFC, nor is it what Windows uses for automatic
    >assignments w/o a DHCP server.
    >
    >Are you sure you are connecting to the correct Access Point, and that
    >you're not connecting to someone elses? If you are connecting to someone
    >else Access Point, and they have used "whacky" IP addresses on their
    >LAN, then that could explain why you can get to the internet without
    >having an IP address which isn't valid for your LAN.
    >
    >Troubleshooting tips:
    > * Verify that the SSIDs match on the AP and on the computer(s)
    > * Verify that authentication type is set to "open" or "Auto"
    > * If you're using WEP or WPA-PSK, make sure that the keys match.
    > * Try static IP address on the wireless computers. For some reason,
    >some DHCP servers just doesn't work well with wireless clients... Make
    >sure the DNS and Gateway IP addresses are correct when doing this.
    > * If you've disabled SSID broadcast, consider enabling it for a while
    >during troubleshooting...
    >

    >Lars M. Hansen
    >www.hansenonline.net
    >Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
    >"If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

    It was probably 169.XXX I was going by memory, which isn't always
    reliable. When I go back today, I will recheck the numbers.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q220874

    Dick
  16. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > issuing. The laptops (both of them) operating wireless, can only get
    > a Windows assigned IP address of 16x.XXX. The laptops can see the
    > Internet through the router using these IP's, but cannot see each
    > other.

    ok - humor us - I'd like to see HOW the wireless laptops
    with the MS 16x addresses are getting thru the router ???

    on the wireless laptop do the -
    start / run / command
    then, in the DOS box -
    type --> route print
    and paste the reply -
    should look like this - the key being Gwateway & Interface

    Network Address Netmask Gateway Address Interface
    Metric
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2
    192.168.1.140 1
    127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1
    127.0.0.1 1
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.140 192.168.1.140
    1

    now try a Ping or a Tracert
    ping www.yahoo.com
    tracert www.yahoo.com
  17. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:28:51 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

    >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >> issuing. The laptops (both of them) operating wireless, can only get
    >> a Windows assigned IP address of 16x.XXX. The laptops can see the
    >> Internet through the router using these IP's, but cannot see each
    >> other.
    >
    >ok - humor us - I'd like to see HOW the wireless laptops
    >with the MS 16x addresses are getting thru the router ???

    I am past that problem. The first thing I did today was to reset the
    router to factory defaults. That took care of the DHCP IP
    assignments. Both computers are getting the correct 192.XXX address.
    Both computers can access the Internet. Both computers now show up in
    the router setup. That part's fine.

    Computers still can't see each other. The folks I am helping had to
    leave, so I didn't have time to get into security, etc. I did notice
    that the WRT54g went back to WEP security after reset, and I didn't
    check the computers. Could that be the problem? I thought that if
    WEP security wasn't set correctly on both the router and the
    computers, that they couldn't access the Internet either. Yes, they
    both have the same group name, mshome.

    The error I am getting when trying to access the network is, "mshome
    is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this

Wireless IP Address Connection Wireless Networking