filesystems

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well last night I had finished installing my gentoo stage 1 system (8 hours of compiling), and had just compiled xfree. I went to test it and the pc locked. HARD. Everything was completely unresponsive. I hit the reset switch and got a grub error 16 (no /boot found AFAIK). I checked what my root partition looked like and it was all messed up. ReiserFS was the filesystem and it was pooched.

Today I reinstalled on XFS and have yet to install xfree.

I've heard horror stories about reiserFS, but lately I've heard only good. I don't know if it was the filesystem's fault or something else, but I figured I might as well try XFS this time.

What filesystem does everyone else use?

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Ext3 in data mode on the server, and XFS on the workstation.

I had previously been using ReiserFS on the workstation, but decided to change when reinstalling with Mandrake 9.2 after I'd had enough of RedHat's RPM database failing, and their new corporate direction. /end rant ;-)

One thing that doesn't get a mention often is the tools that go with the filesystem. XFS has good support for resizing, checking, repair, quotas, acls, etc. I'm not too familiar with the realtime subvolume feature though, so if anyone knows lots, please post.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
The realtime subvolume is a separate area of disk space where <b>only</b> file data is stored. The realtime subvolume is designed to provide very deterministic data rates suitable for media streaming applications.

The partition can only be logical. The real-time subvolume can span multiple disk partitions, and can be striped. Something called Real-Time Files can be stored in real-time subvolumes. When accessing these files, you can demand a guaranteed rate of data transfer called a "real-time guarantee." This makes data integrity and guarantee of on time delivery of data a no brainer.

If you need to know more, try the <A HREF="http://www.cepba.upc.es/docs/sgi_doc/SGI_Admin/books/IA_DiskFiles/sgi_html/" target="_new">IRIX Admin:Disks and Filesystems</A> and the grio(5) reference page.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Oh yeah...i use ext3 here....I've messed with XFS but never really implemented. I hate reiser and have stayed away from it as much as possible. Too many horror stories have swayed me from it.

----------
<b>It is always brave to say what everyone thinks. </b> <i>Georges Duhamel</i>

TKS

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Eh, I'm happy with XFS for now myself. It works well and I don't notice any speed difference from reiserFS.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.