system32config files missing or corrupt

September 12, 2005 6:57:04 PM

My system came up with this message so I reviewed the board on what to do:
went to microsofts webpages that everone had already posted, on how to fix
corrupted files and followed all of the directions for copying the files and
deleting the files but when I got to the second part of the copying files and
I get a message that says the system cannot find the specified file.

Can anyone tell me if there is any other way of saving my files before I
have to reformat my harddrive?
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:37:56 PM

Is this what you did???

Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
Console. Type:

cd system32\config [enter]
ren system system.old [enter]
ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
exit

peterk

"bratty70" <bratty70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system came up with this message so I reviewed the board on what to do:
> went to microsofts webpages that everone had already posted, on how to fix
> corrupted files and followed all of the directions for copying the files
> and
> deleting the files but when I got to the second part of the copying files
> and
> I get a message that says the system cannot find the specified file.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is any other way of saving my files before I
> have to reformat my harddrive?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:19:01 AM

I did try this too. I would just get a message "file not found" BUT when I
did that using software it copied a file. I need system and not software.

"peterk" wrote:

> Is this what you did???
>

> Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
> error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
> Console. Type:
>
> cd system32\config [enter]
> ren system system.old [enter]
> ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
> copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
> copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
> exit
>
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "bratty70" <bratty70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My system came up with this message so I reviewed the board on what to do:
> > went to microsofts webpages that everone had already posted, on how to fix
> > corrupted files and followed all of the directions for copying the files
> > and
> > deleting the files but when I got to the second part of the copying files
> > and
> > I get a message that says the system cannot find the specified file.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is any other way of saving my files before I
> > have to reformat my harddrive?

November 27, 2012 2:46:57 PM

Quote:

My system came up with this message so I reviewed the board on what to do:
went to microsofts webpages that everone had already posted, on how to fix
corrupted files and followed all of the directions for copying the files and
deleting the files but when I got to the second part of the copying files and
I get a message that says the system cannot find the specified file.

Can anyone tell me if there is any other way of saving my files before I
have to reformat my harddrive?

Anonymous
November 27, 2012 2:48:49 PM

send to onother computer has problems any
!