specifications for a new Dell

I've just been told I can get a new Dell.

As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
writing, programming and cost effective performance.

What video card should I get?

Anything I should stay away from?

"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've just been told I can get a new Dell.
>
> As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
> writing, programming and cost effective performance.
>
> What video card should I get?
>
> Anything I should stay away from?

Really, just about any of them are OK, as long as they support dual
monitors. Dual DVI is a little more rare (and considerably more expensive).

If I was personally configuring it, I would go with a Dimension 9100 with
the X300 graphics card. Then I would go outside Dell and order a pair of
Samsung 213T 21.3" LCD flat panels.

I run my machine with one Dell 19" and one Samsung 21". Love it. In some
ways, the 19/21 combination is nice, because the 19 is 1280x1024 and the
characeters are larger.

Tom

Tom, do you have a digital camera and a website where you could post a
picture of your dual setup. I don't think I understand the benefit of dual
monitors. Does a single picture expand the whole area of both monitors?
Thanks,
Monica

In article <m0TAe.75416$Fv.4122@lakeread01>,
Monica <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote:
>Tom, do you have a digital camera and a website where you could post a
>picture of your dual setup. I don't think I understand the benefit of dual
>monitors. Does a single picture expand the whole area of both monitors?

The desktop spans both monitors. Individual windows can be on one monitor,
the other, or both at the same time. For me, the primary benefit is that a
web browser can be open on one monitor with a text editor or mail client
on the other. It saves a lot of hassle toggling back and forth between
multiple windows.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com

Not likely that they will buy anything but pure Dell

Tom Scales wrote:
> "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>I've just been told I can get a new Dell.
>>
>>As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
>>writing, programming and cost effective performance.
>>
>>What video card should I get?
>>
>>Anything I should stay away from?
>

> Really, just about any of them are OK, as long as they support dual
> monitors. Dual DVI is a little more rare (and considerably more expensive).
>
> If I was personally configuring it, I would go with a Dimension 9100 with
> the X300 graphics card. Then I would go outside Dell and order a pair of
> Samsung 213T 21.3" LCD flat panels.
>
> I run my machine with one Dell 19" and one Samsung 21". Love it. In some
> ways, the 19/21 combination is nice, because the 19 is 1280x1024 and the
> characeters are larger.
>
> Tom

Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near it. I've spent all my free time in the
last three weeks at the hospital as my wife is ill.

Tom
"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
> Tom, do you have a digital camera and a website where you could post a
> picture of your dual setup. I don't think I understand the benefit of
> dual monitors. Does a single picture expand the whole area of both
> monitors?
> Thanks,
> Monica
>
>> If I was personally configuring it, I would go with a Dimension 9100 with
>> the X300 graphics card. Then I would go outside Dell and order a pair of
>> Samsung 213T 21.3" LCD flat panels.
>>
>> I run my machine with one Dell 19" and one Samsung 21". Love it. In
>> some ways, the 19/21 combination is nice, because the 19 is 1280x1024 and
>> the characeters are larger.
>>
>> Tom

Then go with Dell's LCD. The 2005FP is, I understand, excellent.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near it. I've spent all my free time in the
> last three weeks at the hospital as my wife is ill.

Sorry to hear that, Tom, here's wishing for s speedy recovery.

ahall

Tom> Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near it. I've spent all my free time in the
Tom> last three weeks at the hospital as my wife is ill.

I hope she gets better soon.

ah

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> Tom> Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near it. I've spent all my free
> time in the
> Tom> last three weeks at the hospital as my wife is ill.
>
> I hope she gets better soon.
>
> ah

Second that, Tom.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.......

Stew

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread...

Best wishes for your wife's good health.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Tom> Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near it. I've spent all my free
>> time in the
>> Tom> last three weeks at the hospital as my wife is ill.
>>
>> I hope she gets better soon.
>>
>> ah
>>

> Second that, Tom.
>
> Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.......
>

> Stew

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. She has many health challenges and
this latest one is her kidneys failing, so we're starting the 3 day a week
dialysis process.

Tom

ahall

Tom> Thank you all for your kind thoughts. She has many health challenges and
Tom> this latest one is her kidneys failing, so we're starting the 3 day a week
Tom> dialysis process.

No fun. Diabetes?

Here's hoping a transplant is in her future!

Good luck,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:05:38 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tom Scales"
<tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near it. I've spent all my free time in the
>last three weeks at the hospital as my wife is ill.

Tom, I'll add my best wishes for your wife's health.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

yea but they'll not likely get met one of those

I'm thinking of the 1905fp dual but what video card should I pick to
support dual video?

Tom Scales wrote:

>Then go with Dell's LCD. The 2005FP is, I understand, excellent.
>
>Tom
>"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>Not likely that they will buy anything but pure Dell
>>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>

>>>"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>Really, just about any of them are OK, as long as they support dual
>>>monitors. Dual DVI is a little more rare (and considerably more
>>>expensive).
>>>
>>>If I was personally configuring it, I would go with a Dimension 9100 with
>>>the X300 graphics card. Then I would go outside Dell and order a pair of
>>>Samsung 213T 21.3" LCD flat panels.
>>>
>>>I run my machine with one Dell 19" and one Samsung 21". Love it. In
>>>some ways, the 19/21 combination is nice, because the 19 is 1280x1024 and
>>>the characeters are larger.
>>>
>>>Tom

Well, I saw in the other thread you're considering the GX620. I just
configured the minitower version. According to the site, if you choose the
DVI adapter, it supports dual monitors.

Personally, though, I would consider a GX280 or a Dimension 9100 with the
X300 card. A much better video card and it supports dual video. My choice
would be the 9100.

Tom
"William Kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
> yea but they'll not likely get met one of those
>
> I'm thinking of the 1905fp dual but what video card should I pick to
> support dual video?
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>>Then go with Dell's LCD. The 2005FP is, I understand, excellent.
>>
>>Tom
>>"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Not likely that they will buy anything but pure Dell

a similarly configured gx280 (same video, processor, ram etc) is about
$200 more.

how much different is the dvi card for the 620 vs the better one on the 280?

Tom Scales wrote:

>Well, I saw in the other thread you're considering the GX620. I just
>configured the minitower version. According to the site, if you choose the
>DVI adapter, it supports dual monitors.
>
>Personally, though, I would consider a GX280 or a Dimension 9100 with the
>X300 card. A much better video card and it supports dual video. My choice
>would be the 9100.
>
>Tom
>"William Kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>

>>yea but they'll not likely get met one of those
>>
>>I'm thinking of the 1905fp dual but what video card should I pick to
>>support dual video?
>>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>

>>>Then go with Dell's LCD. The 2005FP is, I understand, excellent.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message

I don't know. The DVI card is very lacking in descriptions. Doesn't even
say the manufacturer.

What about a Dimension 9100 or 5100?

>a similarly configured gx280 (same video, processor, ram etc) is about $200
>more.
>
> how much different is the dvi card for the 620 vs the better one on the
> 280?
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>>Well, I saw in the other thread you're considering the GX620. I just
>>configured the minitower version. According to the site, if you choose the
>>DVI adapter, it supports dual monitors.
>>
>>Personally, though, I would consider a GX280 or a Dimension 9100 with the
>>X300 card. A much better video card and it supports dual video. My
>>choice would be the 9100.
>>
>>Tom
>>"William Kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>yea but they'll not likely get met one of those
>>>
>>>I'm thinking of the 1905fp dual but what video card should I pick to
>>>support dual video?

well the new computer arrived

but they gave me 17 inch flat panel monitors instead of 19 because I'm
not faculty

one curious behavior is the control of where windows pop up.
sometimes a child window comes up in the same screen but sometimes the
child window comes up a different one

anyone have a clue as to what controls where a window opens on xp on a
dual monitor system?

william kossack wrote:
> I've just been told I can get a new Dell.
>
> As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
> writing, programming and cost effective performance.
>
> What video card should I get?
>
> Anything I should stay away from?

The application.

The only realy way to control it is with a utility like UltraMon.

> well the new computer arrived
>
> but they gave me 17 inch flat panel monitors instead of 19 because I'm not
> faculty
>
> one curious behavior is the control of where windows pop up.
> sometimes a child window comes up in the same screen but sometimes the
> child window comes up a different one
>
> anyone have a clue as to what controls where a window opens on xp on a
> dual monitor system?
>

> william kossack wrote:
>> I've just been told I can get a new Dell.
>>
>> As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
>> writing, programming and cost effective performance.
>>
>> What video card should I get?
>>
>> Anything I should stay away from?

what can be done about the color difference in the monitors?

I've tried as best as I can to adjust them manually but there is still a
noticable difference

Tom Scales wrote:
> The application.
>
> The only realy way to control it is with a utility like UltraMon.
>
> Tom
> "william kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>
>>well the new computer arrived
>>
>>but they gave me 17 inch flat panel monitors instead of 19 because I'm not
>>faculty
>>
>>one curious behavior is the control of where windows pop up.
>>sometimes a child window comes up in the same screen but sometimes the
>>child window comes up a different one
>>
>>anyone have a clue as to what controls where a window opens on xp on a
>>dual monitor system?
>>

>>william kossack wrote:
>>
>>>I've just been told I can get a new Dell.
>>>
>>>As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
>>>writing, programming and cost effective performance.
>>>
>>>What video card should I get?
>>>
>>>Anything I should stay away from?

here is a better question...

should I select a color managment profile for the monitors? which one?

Tom Scales wrote:

> The application.
>
> The only realy way to control it is with a utility like UltraMon.
>
> Tom
> "william kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>
>>well the new computer arrived
>>
>>but they gave me 17 inch flat panel monitors instead of 19 because I'm not
>>faculty
>>
>>one curious behavior is the control of where windows pop up.
>>sometimes a child window comes up in the same screen but sometimes the
>>child window comes up a different one
>>
>>anyone have a clue as to what controls where a window opens on xp on a
>>dual monitor system?
>>

>>william kossack wrote:
>>
>>>I've just been told I can get a new Dell.
>>>
>>>As a statistician I'm interested in dual flat panel monitors to help in
>>>writing, programming and cost effective performance.
>>>
>>>What video card should I get?
>>>
>>>Anything I should stay away from?

You have two identical monitors with a significant color variation? That's
probably worth calling Dell about. Even sample variation shouldn't be that
dramatic.

> what can be done about the color difference in the monitors?
>
> I've tried as best as I can to adjust them manually but there is still a
> noticable difference
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> The application.
>>
>> The only realy way to control it is with a utility like UltraMon.
>>
>> Tom
>> "william kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>well the new computer arrived
>>>
>>>but they gave me 17 inch flat panel monitors instead of 19 because I'm
>>>not faculty
>>>
>>>one curious behavior is the control of where windows pop up.
>>>sometimes a child window comes up in the same screen but sometimes the
>>>child window comes up a different one
>>>
>>>anyone have a clue as to what controls where a window opens on xp on a
>>>dual monitor system?

Unless you're doing sophisticated color matching for photography, I
wouldn't.

> here is a better question...
>
> should I select a color managment profile for the monitors? which one?
>
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> The application.
>>
>> The only realy way to control it is with a utility like UltraMon.
>>
>> Tom
>> "william kossack" <kossackw@njc.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>well the new computer arrived
>>>
>>>but they gave me 17 inch flat panel monitors instead of 19 because I'm
>>>not faculty
>>>
>>>one curious behavior is the control of where windows pop up.
>>>sometimes a child window comes up in the same screen but sometimes the
>>>child window comes up a different one
>>>
>>>anyone have a clue as to what controls where a window opens on xp on a
>>>dual monitor system?

Called Dull about the two monitors being off in color

Their only answer was that maybe the monitors which are the same model
were made at two different places etc, that they were tested met the
specs when manufactured and they would not do anything about it for me.

File that for future reference.

I've tweaked the colors so they are close by hand.