Problems copying to CD and DVD

Hi there : Anyhelp is appreciated.

I am using a Gateway computer with XP software and am trying to copy files
from my c drive to the DVD and/or CD drives.

In both cases I have problems.

When I copy to DVD drive , it states windows encountered a problem and wont
let me copy. I can read DVDs and have checked my r/w disc in my other
computer

When I copy to the CD drive it states It says plese insert disc. I can read
CD's and have checkde in my other computer.

Any help is appeciated

First of all XP does not include DVD burning software so what are you
using??
2nd.......is it a CD burner?? does the CD disc match the burning
capabilities of the CD burner...+r/-r/+rw/-rw ????????
peterk

"Jacks lake" <Jacks lake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there : Anyhelp is appreciated.
>
> I am using a Gateway computer with XP software and am trying to copy files
> from my c drive to the DVD and/or CD drives.
>
> In both cases I have problems.
>
> When I copy to DVD drive , it states windows encountered a problem and
> wont
> let me copy. I can read DVDs and have checked my r/w disc in my other
> computer
>

> When I copy to the CD drive it states It says plese insert disc. I can
> read
> CD's and have checkde in my other computer.
>
> Any help is appeciated

Thanks for the comments

Yes the system does have dvd burning s/w Nero express

I have two drives one is a double layer DVD drive the other a CD drive both
according to the store capable of burning . I am afraid I dont now how to
tell on the system specifics.

"peterk" wrote:

> First of all XP does not include DVD burning software so what are you
> using??
> 2nd.......is it a CD burner?? does the CD disc match the burning
> capabilities of the CD burner...+r/-r/+rw/-rw ????????
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "Jacks lake" <Jacks lake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there : Anyhelp is appreciated.
> >
> > I am using a Gateway computer with XP software and am trying to copy files
> > from my c drive to the DVD and/or CD drives.
> >
> > In both cases I have problems.
> >
> > When I copy to DVD drive , it states windows encountered a problem and
> > wont
> > let me copy. I can read DVDs and have checked my r/w disc in my other
> > computer
> >

> > When I copy to the CD drive it states It says plese insert disc. I can
> > read
> > CD's and have checkde in my other computer.
> >
> > Any help is appeciated

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"Jacks lake" <Jacks lake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there : Anyhelp is appreciated.
>
> I am using a Gateway computer with XP software and am trying to copy files
> from my c drive to the DVD and/or CD drives.
>
> In both cases I have problems.
>
> When I copy to DVD drive , it states windows encountered a problem and
> wont
> let me copy. I can read DVDs and have checked my r/w disc in my other
> computer
>

> When I copy to the CD drive it states It says plese insert disc. I can
> read
> CD's and have checkde in my other computer.
>
> Any help is appeciated

I am sorry that I can not help but being a avid reader of this site I will
be interested in replies to you.
I have had similar problems and read many many posts on it. Seems that XP is
great at changing modes of drives based on last usage. IE; If I get my
DVD/cd player/burner to work burning with Nero it will not read cds.