Need help with changing Win XP serial.

Hi all,
I'm working on a machine that I'm trying to change the Win XP Pro serial
number on. When I go throught the process outlined at microsoft which is the
same as this one:
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/printarticle.php?id=3
I get the screen that says "windows is already activated".

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Gary

algae wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm working on a machine that I'm trying to change the Win XP Pro
> serial number on. When I go throught the process outlined at
> microsoft which is the same as this one:
> http://www.flexbeta.net/main/printarticle.php?id=3
> I get the screen that says "windows is already activated".

Change from what type of key TO what type of key?

Volume license to Full Retail?
Volume license to OEM?
Full Retail license to OEM license?
Upgrade license to Full Retail?
Retail to Retail?
OEM to OEM?
etc...?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Sorry...Volume licence (I think) to full retail.
Gary

algae wrote:
> Sorry...Volume licence (I think) to full retail.

Ah - well, Microsoft's instructions are to change from volume license to
new volume license.

If going from one "type" of key to a different type of key - you will likely
have to perform a Reapir Installation on the system.

Perform a Repair installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

If you do not have a SP2 CD but have a SP2 level system, you may need to
create a new CD with SP2 integrated into it first.

You can TRY the Magic Jellybean Keyfinder change function - but situation as
it is - doubtful it will work.

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41

Magical JellyBean Keyfinder v1.5B3
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/kfbeta.shtml