Mac

PC apparently crashed while I was gone. Black screen, says need to reload
missing or corrupt hal.dll

Cannot reboot into safe mode, no last known good point to return to. This
is the only screen I can get, other than setup for bios - which can still see
the hard drive and installed peripherals. Don't have a floppy drive,
although I'll be getting one soon, in order to try a boot to that.

Any other ideas?

In BIOS,install xp cd,set to boot to xp cd,at boot info screen,press r for
recovery,press enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R After it runs,
either type:EXIT And let xp start,or read kb 307654 For repair options in
recovery

"Mac" wrote:

> PC apparently crashed while I was gone. Black screen, says need to reload
> missing or corrupt hal.dll
>
> Cannot reboot into safe mode, no last known good point to return to. This
> is the only screen I can get, other than setup for bios - which can still see
> the hard drive and installed peripherals. Don't have a floppy drive,
> although I'll be getting one soon, in order to try a boot to that.
>
> Any other ideas?

Mac

Thanks, will walk my way thru it.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> In BIOS,install xp cd,set to boot to xp cd,at boot info screen,press r for
> recovery,press enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R After it runs,
> either type:EXIT And let xp start,or read kb 307654 For repair options in
> recovery
>
> "Mac" wrote:
>
> > PC apparently crashed while I was gone. Black screen, says need to reload
> > missing or corrupt hal.dll
> >
> > Cannot reboot into safe mode, no last known good point to return to. This
> > is the only screen I can get, other than setup for bios - which can still see
> > the hard drive and installed peripherals. Don't have a floppy drive,
> > although I'll be getting one soon, in order to try a boot to that.
> >
> > Any other ideas?

..If the black screen says need to reload
missing or corrupt hal.dll,
You may try to use the xp CD reboot to the Recovery Console ,and try to use
the "expend" command
"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:5B91C747-1CB8-41BF-BEF4-A29F0E8A707E@microsoft.com...
> In BIOS,install xp cd,set to boot to xp cd,at boot info screen,press r for
> recovery,press enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R After it runs,
> either type:EXIT And let xp start,or read kb 307654 For repair options
> in
> recovery
>
> "Mac" wrote:
>
>> PC apparently crashed while I was gone. Black screen, says need to
>> reload
>> missing or corrupt hal.dll
>>
>> Cannot reboot into safe mode, no last known good point to return to.
>> This
>> is the only screen I can get, other than setup for bios - which can still
>> see
>> the hard drive and installed peripherals. Don't have a floppy drive,
>> although I'll be getting one soon, in order to try a boot to that.
>>
>> Any other ideas?

Mac

Thanks - don't have the CD, son's wife did major cleanup and apparently
tossed it. It was an OEM purchase on a custom build. Along with the CD went
the key.

I love a puzzle but this is too much.

"hot" wrote:

> ..If the black screen says need to reload
> missing or corrupt hal.dll,
> You may try to use the xp CD reboot to the Recovery Console ,and try to use
> the "expend" command
> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:5B91C747-1CB8-41BF-BEF4-A29F0E8A707E@microsoft.com...
> > In BIOS,install xp cd,set to boot to xp cd,at boot info screen,press r for
> > recovery,press enter for password,then type:CHKDSK C: /R After it runs,
> > either type:EXIT And let xp start,or read kb 307654 For repair options
> > in
> > recovery
> >
> > "Mac" wrote:
> >
> >> PC apparently crashed while I was gone. Black screen, says need to
> >> reload
> >> missing or corrupt hal.dll
> >>
> >> Cannot reboot into safe mode, no last known good point to return to.
> >> This
> >> is the only screen I can get, other than setup for bios - which can still
> >> see
> >> the hard drive and installed peripherals. Don't have a floppy drive,
> >> although I'll be getting one soon, in order to try a boot to that.
> >>
> >> Any other ideas?

A common cause for the message regarding "missing or corrupt Hal.dll" is the
systems confusion as to location from which to load XP due to two XP
installations or remnants of an instillation remaining after a
re-instillation.

Mac

Can't explain that. Don't know what happened to the PC while we were gone.
Surge protector wasn't tripped, but clearly something caused it to reboot.
When the system was built got a clean XP Home load on the first try. Only
problem after was wrong video drivers. Install went very smoothly. Is there
possibility this is simply bad RAM? Have 512mb and have wanted to go to 1gb.
Perhaps this is the time?