Programs won't work, and neither will System Restore!

Hey everyone, I have some problems that started last night.

Okay, first problem is that NO programs open anymore. All the icons on
the Desktop fade when I doubleclick them. I can't select the program
from the Start menu, and the "Run" option won't open them either. When
ever I use "Run" to try opening something, I get this message:

"The file does not have a program associated with it for performing
this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control
panel."

Also, I should note that on the desktop, none of the icons show up and
all the shortcuts have a ".lnk" after them. My Computer and Control
Panel won't even open.

Second problem: I figured I could just do a System Restore to a day
earlier, but System Restore won't open! If I click it, it never comes
up. I tried it in Safe Mode, and still nothing. So, does anyone have an
idea what my problem is? Thanks in advance!

--
Sgt Keroro
2 answers Last reply

    OK, here's something that perhaps you can try if you can get yourself
    to a DOS prompt while booting:

    (from C:\ Prompt) %systemroot%/system32/restore/­rstui.exe

    This is a way of invoking System Restore from the DOS prompt, and you
    should be able to restore from an appropriate Restore point.

    ---
    There's no such frigging thing as "off of"

    Hi,

    If System Restore doesn't work from the command prompt I would suggest you start scanning
    for virus/malware infection.
    Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

    Here are some Windows XP File Association Fixes you may find helpful.

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org

    Sgt Keroro wrote:
    > Hey everyone, I have some problems that started last
    > night.
    >
    > Okay, first problem is that NO programs open anymore. All
    > the icons on the Desktop fade when I doubleclick them. I
    > can't select the program from the Start menu, and the
    > "Run" option won't open them either. When ever I use
    > "Run" to try opening something, I get this message:
    >
    > "The file does not have a program associated with it for
    > performing this action. Create an association in the
    > Folder Options control panel."
    >
    > Also, I should note that on the desktop, none of the
    > icons show up and all the shortcuts have a ".lnk" after
    > them. My Computer and Control Panel won't even open.
    >
    > Second problem: I figured I could just do a System
    > Restore to a day earlier, but System Restore won't open!
    > If I click it, it never comes up. I tried it in Safe
    > Mode, and still nothing. So, does anyone have an idea
    > what my problem is? Thanks in advance!

System Restore Windows XP