A couple of days a go I turned my laptop on and it stopped loading at
the blue windows xp screen. Can't load in safe mode or command prompt
or any of the other windows advanced options I get when pressing F8
when computer is starting -get same blue, windows screen.
Not sure if this is relavent but for a few weeks before it died i got a
message when trying to use windows media palyer (which doesn't work even
after uninstall and reinstall) asking me to insert SP2 CD. I tried
uninstalling and reinstalling SP2 but it made no difference. I even
dowloaded SP2 to a cd and treid it when it said it but it didn't work
either

I tried the Windows XP repair
(http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html) but it
doesn't go to the screen where it gives you the option to repair
selected XP instalation. It takes me to a screen and asks me to choose
a partition (has a big one and a little one). I choose the big one and
the I get a screen that says choose:
format the partition using ntfs file system -quick
format the partition using ntfs file system
leave the current file system intact -no changes

Not sure where to go from here.

Have also tried this with no apparent luck:

How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing
or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from
the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the
Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following
(where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite
the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and
press Enter. Then answer "Y"

I have another post in this forum with the other things i have tried
and failed...

--
saharanz

"saharanz" <saharanz.1va8dw@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> A couple of days a go I turned my laptop on and it stopped loading at
> the blue windows xp screen. Can't load in safe mode or command prompt
> or any of the other windows advanced options I get when pressing F8
> when computer is starting -get same blue, windows screen.
> Not sure if this is relavent but for a few weeks before it died i got a
> message when trying to use windows media palyer (which doesn't work even
> after uninstall and reinstall) asking me to insert SP2 CD. I tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling SP2 but it made no difference. I even
> dowloaded SP2 to a cd and treid it when it said it but it didn't work
> either
>
> I tried the Windows XP repair
> (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html) but it
> doesn't go to the screen where it gives you the option to repair
> selected XP instalation. It takes me to a screen and asks me to choose
> a partition (has a big one and a little one). I choose the big one and
> the I get a screen that says choose:
> format the partition using ntfs file system -quick
> format the partition using ntfs file system
> leave the current file system intact -no changes
>
> Not sure where to go from here.

Leave the current file system intact -no changes. And then follow the
instructions.