Should it be in Windows XP Home Edition because I can not find it . I'm
trying to update the firmware in an older 16X CDRom drive and I'm told the
file is missing when I try to install the firmware update file labelled
INSTALL in the download . There is another file which looks like the update
file . Should I make a boot disk perhaps and flash the update from a floppy
disk ?
--
signature

Yes, you should have a dos-boot diskette with the MSCDEX on it as well, and have it loaded at startup.
The firmware update should not be done from Windows.

The CD Rom extensions for XP is mscdexnt.exe and it is loaded by Autoexec.nt.

Back to your base problem, attempt the update after booting from a dos diskette.
See MS Article
Cannot Access CD-ROM Drive from MS-DOS Mode or Command Prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135174

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User