Never Winter Nights

Liranan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Ladies and gentlemen I have an announcement to make.
NWN recommends the use of a GF2. Yet I can easily tell you that I run the game with a Leadtek GF3 Ti200 running at 250/550 and the game still runs slow. So before you buy the game make sure you will be running the game on a Ti 4600 or even a 9700 Pro, for NWN is one of those typical games for which you are going to need a PC ten times better than is recommended.

And don't make the stupid mistake of telling me that recommended only means average performance and looks... because with my late (rip my CPU) XP1900, 512 PC2100 and Ti200 I believe I had a PC way beyond the recommended specs.

From the Seas we come to the Seas we return.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's playable with a GF2, but I definitely agree that a better videocard is a must.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Wow, that's a good system. I'm surprised NW Nights runs slowly on it.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Define slowly though. Like I said, I can play it with a GeForce2.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
If you don't have the newest video cards, you will load slower then other people going from one area to another. But its still playable with a GF2.

<font color=blue>I want to save the world for my children, but not my children's children, because children shouldn't be having sex. - Deep Thought</font color=blue>

G

I have the EXACT same system as you Liranan, except I have a GF3Ti500, instead of a Ti200. The game runs mostly fine at 1024x1768, 32bit color. Maybe you have 4X Anti Aliasing enabled, that can slow things down.

Most people live at the speed of life, I drink Mountain Dew!

Liranan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I do noet have 4x FSAA enabled and I achieve nearly 9400 points in 3DMarks. What I mean with slow is that the game doesn't always run smoothly, it shocks from time to time. I run all games at 800x600 and am pleased with that resolution (after all I am after frame rates) but I have found that the best way to speed up the game is by turning off shiny water but that is not what I have a GF3 for. I have a Gf3 for the shiny water, the full grass and the beautiful effects but can't run the game with those demands. Don't mistake me, the game is brilliant and the makers get my compliment. I thought Baldurs's gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal were extremely good but NWN beats every single RPG I have ever come across. I just wished that they would not add in as last notes in the readme files: for shiny water a GF3 or beter is required. I am not quoting that but if you all look in your readme files you will find a line similar to that. It could also be that the Ti200 simply won't be able to match the Ti500 no matter how fast the card is overclocked and thus will not be able to achieve the frame rates.
My visual quality is on full but my character bump mapping (or is that enviroment bump mapping?) is on medium and the wind in grass is on medium and the game sometimes still shocks. Maybe I am just one of those moaning people who just want but can't have... a spoilt little brat.
I hope one day to get on the net and test my skills agianst my fellow NWN followers...
May the Force be with you, as it is not with Star Wars anymore, since the release of LOTR!!! SAURON RULES!

From the Seas we come to the Seas we return.

G

LOL, yeah LOTR kicks ass.

If you're getting 9000+ marks, then I dunno what to say. A stupid/obvious question: Do you have the latest patch? The NWN patches fix a lot.

Have you tried the Penultima Modules? I heard they're great but after beating the original I was sick of NWN, so I never tried it, moved to Dungeon Siege. There's an expansion from the same Black Isle team for NWN on it's way, the fun never ends!!!

Most people live at the speed of life, I drink Mountain Dew!