Windows 7 and Hardware conflict. Please help guys.

Hi guys, I need your help to figure out a problem which I think can be of a motherboard issue. From January 2010 I have been using Windows 7. From then I have experienced a copy paste problem, which is when I try to copy a large file (say over 500 Mb) the windows hangs. No programs respond and after sometimes it auto restarts and after the bios screen it gives message like boot manager cannot be load (not exactly this message but similar) and windows does not boot . I then power off the pc and after waiting for some moment again turn on the pc and this time it boots normally. The hang problem sometimes occurs without copy too and leads to the same boot problem after taking restart. But generally it occurs when I try to copy big files. I have tried small files like 5 mb-400 mb and it copied without any hang issue. At first I thought I have a problematic hard disk drive so to test I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and tried to copy files and it worked like a charm. To test I even copied 23 GBs of files at a time and it gave no problem. I installed windows XP and tried to copy and in XP too it did not hang but copy rate was sometimes very slow. So I ended up with the decision that my windows 7 version or disk might be a problem. In the middle Lan chip of my mother board was burnt and had to physically remove the lan chip and installed a external Lan card. Yesterday, I tried to install windows 7 again and it was not installing. First time it went to 26% of expanding files and was not responding after that for 30 mins. I then removed one of my RAM chip and tried again, and again it stuck at 19%. I therefore, went to my friend’s house with my hard disk and told him to install his version of windows 7 in my HDD to test. He installed it without any problem and we tried several test like copying big files and it worked well too. We copied a 1.5 gb file and some other 800 mb files and were successful with no hangs what so ever. I then came back home and installed the HDD in my pc and tried to copy a 800 mb file and damn it again hanged and gave the same old bios problem. I tried using one RAM chip switching both and problem still persists. What do you think the problem is? Please help. Thank You.

My PC Configuration
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
Biostar G31 Motherboard
Transcend 2 GB DDR 2 Ram (2*1 GB Sticks)
Samsung 1 TB Hard Disk Drive (SATA)
ATI Radeon HD 4670 PCI-E Card
TP Link LAN Card (Network Adapter)
BENQ 16x DVD RW (SATA)
Normal 350 Watt PSU
Samsung 933BW 19” LCD monitor (1440*900)

Note that I did some hardcore gaming and it never hanged while playing games.
14 answers Last reply
More about windows hardware conflict guys
  1. It sounds like you have a hardware issue. I think I would make sure the RAM passes memtest86+ at boot. Download the .iso file here (about 1/2 way down the page), and burn to a CD or USB stick, then boot to that device and let memtest check your RAM. Memtest may take 45 mins to complete one pass. If you get errors on both sticks, run it with one stick. Then run it on the other stick.

If the RAM passes try running prime95 for a while. If you get no hardware errors after 3 to 4 hours, you may want to re-install your OS.
  2. Oh thank you Treefrog, I have installed my OS several times and the same problem kept occurring. I'm quite sure its nothing with the OS now, it must be a hardware issue.

"If the RAM passes try running prime95 for a while. If you get no hardware errors after 3 to 4 hours, you may want to re-install your OS."

By that sentence did u mean if my hardware passes above two tests then I don't have any hardware issue?? Is there any program to check motherboard functionality?
  3. I re-read you description: Win7 was working satisfactorily for about 7 months. Then you had a problem copying large files in Win7 and with WinXP. Copying large files caused the system to "hang"in both Win7 and WinXP, but not in UBuntu. You had to install a NIC because your motherboard was burnt near the LAN chip, which you removed from the motherboard. Your HDD is probably ok because it copied the files with no errors using Ubuntu. Now, I'm wondering if the burnt spot or your removing the chip caused some damage to the board. When did you notice the burnt chip? Before or after you loaded UBuntu?

I don't know of any software that tests the motherboard, prime95 tests the CPU and RAM, and through that can help identify a motherboard problem if the RAM and CPU pass memtest and prime95. Motherboard testing usually involves physically testing the voltages/resistances at various points on the board with a meter.

Another thought: I would disconnect the power cord and ensure that all your hardware cables (data and power) are firmly and properly connected. Ensure that the 4/8-pin power lead is connected to the socket close to the CPU, the 20/24-pin power cable is firmly connnected to its socket. Are there any scorch marks or other signs of overheating on the power sockets or leads: 4/8 pin or the 20/24 pin? Does the PSU have a strange odor? Are any of the power cables/wires frayed or have melted insulation, especially near the connectors?

I'm thinking there may be more than one hardware issue. And that you may need a new motherboard. But I can't tell you if a new motherboard will solve the original large file transfer problem in Windows.
  4. Treefrog, I think you are having some misunderstanding.

1. Win 7 never was satisfactory. From the beginning I have experienced large file copy problem (That time my motherboard was fully okay).
    2. I was successful copying large files in Win XP too, but sometimes it was slow (not every time).
    3. After the LAN chip of motherboard burnt I can not install win 7 from my PC. So I went to my friend's house to install win 7 using his PC.
    4. We tried to copy some large files in Win 7 at my friend's house and were successful, however when I came back home and installed the HDD in my pc I experienced hang problem like before.

Now answering to your questions,

1. When my motherboard's LAN chip burnt both Win 7 and Ubuntu were installed in my HDD. After physically removing the chip and installing NIC both worked like before.

2. While removing the chip it might caused some damage that is why I can not install win 7 using my PC now. But that has no relationship with the copy problem because it occurred before the LAN chip burn problem.

3. What do u thing about this message

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected "

This exact message gives when Win 7 hangs and takes auto restart. Then I had to power off my PC and after waiting some moment when I power on the PC, Windows boots with no problem. I have never experienced any boot problem like above when I normally shut the PC down. When it hangs and takes auto restart only then this message occurs. I think there is a big clue to find out the problem.
  5. Oh one thing I forgot to mention, that is, when Win 7 hangs and takes auto restart Bios does not find my HDD. That is why "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected" message occurs. After switching PC off and switching ON again Bios finds the HDD and it boots normally.
  6. althuogh your CPU is within the recomended , I think it is the problem since I had a similar problem but when I installed a new strong (core to duo) I had no more problem ,even better when i installed the quad on my other PC .
  7. Eqbal would you please explain what was the similar problem? As far as I know copying files is not a very CPU oriented task. I do regular gaming with this PC and never had a problem with gaming. But I'm considering your advice. My friend's processor is also Core 2 Duo and it worked well in his PC.
  8. i think that your ram have issues with windows 7 and i dont think that your hardware is the problem your pc may get infected by virus
  9. Which model of the Biostar G31 go you have? I think there are 8 G31 models listed on the Biostar website. I'd like to goggle it to see if your model has similar problems reported by other users. And to look at the board's details at the Biostar site.

Ok, you said the system "hangs"
    Does that mean: it stops responding? or
    there is no activity, the system froze?
    Have you left it in the "hang" position for several minutes without restarting? Did it automatically restart in Win7 with no BSOD?

Did windows explorer begin to copy the large files? - it usually displays a progress bar showing how minutes remain in the transfer.

On the re-boot message: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected " Whatever is happening is confusing the BIOS up on restart; it cannot find you HDD. It is strange that your restarting the system will then allow the BIOS to find and boot from the HDD.

I'm also wondering:
    -- If 2 GB of RAM is enough for Win7.
    -- If your 350W PSU is providing sufficient continuous power, they lose continuous power output as they age, but the HD 4670 only draws about 60W according to Guru3D.
    -- If you might be better off replacing the motherboard with a new G31 or a P45 board.
  10. 1. By system hangs I meant, the system freezes, no softwares respond. And yes I kept it like this for some minutes (2-3) and It automatically takes restart and gives the boot failure message.

2. Did windows explorer begin to copy the large files? - it usually displays a progress bar showing how minutes remain in the transfer.

Yes it begins to copy the large files. Say I gave a 700 MB xvid avi file to copy. After completing 50-70% the system freezes (Copy and every running software freezes).
    And after 2-3 minutes staying frozen it takes auto restart. Note that first 50% copy is very fast, suddenly it stops and freezes.

3. On the re-boot message: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected " Whatever is happening is confusing the BIOS up on restart; it cannot find you HDD. It is strange that your restarting the system will then allow the BIOS to find and boot from the HDD.

I wish to beg ur pardon dude. I unintentionally gave u a wrong information. Actually after taking auto restart the bios finds the HDD. By a closer look yesterday I saw the bios recognizes the HDD but gives boot error message. And after powering the PC off and then again powering it on the boot happens normally.

4. If 2 GB of RAM is enough for Win7.

I'm sure it is more than enough. Without gaming Windows 7 uses only 600-700 MB of ram. I played recent titles like COD MW 2, Assassin's Creed 2 with full performance using this pc.

5. If your 350W PSU is providing sufficient continuous power, they lose continuous power output as they age, but the HD 4670 only draws about 60W according to Guru3D.

Well it can happen. But look when I don't play games, the graphics card remains idle and uses less power. Then if I give to copy it hangs. Previously I told u it never hanged when I play games when the graphics card uses full power. So considering this I thing we can eliminate the PSU issue.

6. If you might be better off replacing the motherboard with a new G31 or a P45 board.

haha yes I can do that. But I wished to find where the problem is. What if the problem is in somewhere else.

And oh yes my motherboard's model is Biostar 31 M7 TE
  11. Thank you Treefrog for giving so much effort to solve my problem. I think I'm seeing a light. I checked the event viewer and got a similar error message

1. The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort3. (before switching the port)
    2. The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2. (After switching the port)

So u see in both the ports the error is occurring. Any idea what is the problem for?
  12. I don't know, it could be the controller doesn't like your HDD hardware interface, or even that you have a bad ribbon cable or connector (that would be a cheap test - replace the ribbon cable with another that you already have.

This may be a good time to install Intel's latest chipset drivers. Visit this page and choose the box labeled "Automatically identify and find drivers." Install it and let it guide you to your ICHR7 chipset drivers - these should also include any updated PATA/IDE drivers.
  13. I have previously checked with 3 different cables. Nothing worked. Currently installing the drivers as u said. I will give u update soon.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7