Can't lock folders on XP home

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

The checkbox for "encrypt contents to secure data" is grayed out on one of
the new computers we just bought (not a Dell, damnit anyhow).
Anyways, anyone know what the problem might be?

Like to password protect a couple of folders to keep a certain Mr. Nosey
from reading them.

Windows XP home running on a Compaq. (I know, I know, but it sells for under
$500, came with a 3000 AMD processor, 17" flat screen monitor, 1/2 GB
memory, 120 GB hard drive, speakers and a DVD burner).

Dennis wrote:

> The checkbox for "encrypt contents to secure data" is grayed out on one of
> the new computers we just bought (not a Dell, damnit anyhow).
> Anyways, anyone know what the problem might be?
>
> Like to password protect a couple of folders to keep a certain Mr. Nosey
> from reading them.
>
> Windows XP home running on a Compaq. (I know, I know, but it sells for under
> $500, came with a 3000 AMD processor, 17" flat screen monitor, 1/2 GB
> memory, 120 GB hard drive, speakers and a DVD burner).

Sorry, Dennis. XP Home won't do it...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Notan

Notan wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
>
>>The checkbox for "encrypt contents to secure data" is grayed out on one of
>>the new computers we just bought (not a Dell, damnit anyhow).
>>Anyways, anyone know what the problem might be?
>>
>>Like to password protect a couple of folders to keep a certain Mr. Nosey
>>from reading them.
>>
>>Windows XP home running on a Compaq. (I know, I know, but it sells for under
>>$500, came with a 3000 AMD processor, 17" flat screen monitor, 1/2 GB
>>memory, 120 GB hard drive, speakers and a DVD burner).
>

> Sorry, Dennis. XP Home won't do it...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
>
> Notan

Pretty Good Privacy is a good alternative for this purpose; PGP offers a
free version of 8.01 (a little old, but I don't beleive the algorthm is
crackable by brute force). The open source variant, gpg works as well
(and all versions are totally free).