Damn.. taking me years to buy a video card. plz

G

I dont know what to do.
or what to get.

IM not sure whats the best Video Card for my COMPUTER, cause maybe i need more RAM im not sure about that.

i Have HEWLETT PACKARD-pavilion..
-450mhz - 96MB ram - 19GB HD -

-video card: ATI Rage pro turbo 8mb agp 2x .
I cant tell but i think is ONBOARD Video Card ?

- i buye dthe other day a new SOUND CARD SB LIVE 5.1.. work great i like it.

im not sure what more to say. all i want any of u people that have experience with all this REcomend me the best Video Card for my COMP plz.

and also if i can Get more RAM ? what kind of ram i sould buy?! damn i just wish i can buy a new mother board or is that posible?

maybe i cant use the same CASE i have?

what else i need to make a good COMPUTER for all but specialy FOR GAMES ?! of course i cant spend $150 on a video card maybe less than $150 yeah but no more
i will pay like $99 or $120 for a card if is good if not i get a GF2 MX400 or how about GF4 mx440 for $99 ?

PLEASE.... i really need help on this im dying to have my computer working great and play games. THANKS

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Save your pennies and start from scratch. Repost when you have the dough. Any card you buy now would be a waste with that processor and running the AGP @ 2X.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

prfstrkr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
try getting a PCI graphic card although there are few out there. I know Gainward(?) has released the ONLY GF4MX440 PCI, but I haven't seen it in US market yet. Generally speaking, a Voodoo 3/TNT/MX200 PCI will be the best choice so that ur CPU won't become the bottleneck of the whole system

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17357" target="_new">My Computer</A>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Really, you don't have much to work with, save your money for a better system. Any vid card you could get for your PC probably won't make much of a difference anyway.

If you get another retail PC, make sure it doesn't have onboard video or at least has an AGP slot so you can upgrade from the onboard video. That's how they keep the cost down, onboard video and no AGP slot.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Don't bother with a PCI card. The cost isn't worth it.

I'd recomend saving your money and upgrading your computer. You can get an Nforce board with an integraded GF2MX that will still outperform your current system, and let you upgrade later.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You can easly build a new system for cheap.... your running a 450mhz, Any Amd XP setup would be nice, 1700+ and a good mobo from Asus, Abit, or the Dragon +, 512 PC2100, you would really benefit alot more buy making a newer PC first, then buy a GF3 ti500 or better....to actually see the real power of that hardware..

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!

Save the money and buy yourself a dell computer for 700. Then worry about a video card.

If you know how to build a computer then you can simply upgrade that whole mess for about 400 with out video card.
Come back for recommended hardware.

i don't think it would be wise to build yourself a computer if you don't know what your doing. basicily if you don't know what RAM to buy then just go buy a dell. It will save you lots of frustration and time. Not to mention money.

Any Dell computer will be fine for you. It is 1000 times better then what you have now so it doesn't matter what dell computer you get.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
But if you do get a Dell, make sure it has an AGP slot or you'll be stuck in the same situation!

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

The company i work for buys nothing but dell computers. And every dell computer i looked in has an agp slot. Besides the pentium PRO's and under of course.

It would be safe however to not get integrated video! You have a point though.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

G

Save your money and buy a system that can power a good video card. Trust me. Sticking the latest video card in a 450mhz computer is only going to give you slight increases in performance.

Likely, the cheapest way to go would be to buy a Slot 1 motherboard such as the Abit BX-6-2 so you can still use most of your current components, but then you can upgrade to a faster Pentium 3 chip around 800-1000mhz. The only thing is that when you buy this motherboard, you lose your integrated graphics card, so you also have to buy a new video card along with the motherboard. I'm not sure how much money you've got saved up, but regardless, buying a BX-6 Rev 2 will undoubtedly be the cheapest way to upgrade your system to meet the needs of modern graphics.

Or you can follow the other advice in this thread and build a completely new computer, which would probably be the best way to go, in order to support the constant advances in processor speed. I don't recommend that you buy another proprietary system like Dell or HP, however, as many times they are much more expensive than building your own system of the same specifications.

<A HREF="http://www.xibase.com/" target="_new">XiBase</A>: It's <i>almost</i> as good as sex!

TRENDING THREADS