Bad sector repair

I have noticed a 4k bad sector on my 4GB hard drive which is almost full.
My disk also has a 4GB hard drive which is empty. I would like to remove
the partition to allow me access to some badly needed space. I cannot do
this via Partition Magic because of the bad sector. My question is: Is
there any software out there I can use to repair? Or can I use my operating
system WINXP PRO?
I cannot at present afford to buy a new drive let alone a computer.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about sector repair

    "nelly_knowall" <nelly_knowall@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I have noticed a 4k bad sector on my 4GB hard drive which is almost full.
    >My disk also has a 4GB hard drive which is empty. I would like to remove
    >the partition to allow me access to some badly needed space. I cannot do
    >this via Partition Magic because of the bad sector. My question is: Is
    >there any software out there I can use to repair? Or can I use my operating
    >system WINXP PRO?
    >I cannot at present afford to buy a new drive let alone a computer.
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    The only software that I would trust to fix a bad sector is SpinRite
    from Gibson Research (www.grc.com). However the price of SpinRite is
    going to be more than the price of a new hard drive.

    You could try opening a Command Prompt window (Start - Run - CMD) and
    entering the following command:

    CHKDSK C: /R

    Replace C: with the drive letter of the partition that you want to
    check. This will take some time to run, so you might want to do it
    overnight.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Run CHKDSK, which may or may not repair the bad sector, you have that
    option when running it. Go to: Start>Run>type CHKDSk>and click OK
    Run it for both of your partitions.
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "nelly_knowall" wrote:

    > I have noticed a 4k bad sector on my 4GB hard drive which is almost full.
    > My disk also has a 4GB hard drive which is empty. I would like to remove
    > the partition to allow me access to some badly needed space. I cannot do
    > this via Partition Magic because of the bad sector. My question is: Is
    > there any software out there I can use to repair? Or can I use my operating
    > system WINXP PRO?
    > I cannot at present afford to buy a new drive let alone a computer.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:48:10 +0100, "nelly_knowall"
    <nelly_knowall@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I have noticed a 4k bad sector on my 4GB hard drive which is almost full.
    >My disk also has a 4GB hard drive which is empty. I would like to remove
    >the partition to allow me access to some badly needed space. I cannot do
    >this via Partition Magic because of the bad sector. My question is: Is
    >there any software out there I can use to repair? Or can I use my operating
    >system WINXP PRO?
    >I cannot at present afford to buy a new drive let alone a computer.
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    You could always go out on trash day and search for old computers in
    peoples' garbage. I've thrown away computers with drives as large as
    10GB but I'm also a computer reseller, so my trash is always full of old
    parts. Why not try the local Goodwill or Salvation Army, or even try any
    small computer stores in your area. I've sold good used hard drives in
    the 10-30GB range for $10-$20.

    Good luck.

Hard Drives Windows XP Product