How big is the diff. between R8500 and 8500LE?

G

Well, I thought I had avoided buying a Radeon LE 64mb DDR from a website which had it for about the $140 price. Nowhere did it say it was an LE. However, now that it has shipped and I go back to their website, its listed as an LE. They probably didn't know what they were selling.

So, since there hasn't been a feature article here yet, how does it stack up to the regular retail 8500? Is it as drastic as the difference between a Geforce 2 and Geforce 2MX, or Radeon 7000 and Radeon 7000 VE? What's missing on the LE chip? Is it worth returning the shipped order and buying the newegg.com retail version for 20 bucks more?

Also, does hydravision support alternate resolutions and refresh rates between two monitors (one from regular CRT, one from DVI with CRT converter) ?

jam_mango

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2002
The performance difference is purly the same a the gf3ti 200 and 500. exept this time the le perfomes about the same as a standard gf3. Inbetween the 2 and 5 100's. No features are missing just slower. I found this info on anadtech (cant remember spelling) when looking for the same answer.
Unfortunately i dont know the first thing about the capabiliaties of hydravision.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
so how does the AIW radeon DV compare to the radeon and the radeon LE? also, how can you tell how fast the board is clocked at? and one last thing, is there a tempurature reader and fan speed reader on the radeon cards that i can access through some sort of a program or do i have to use a tempurature monitor from the motherboard?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
the 8500 DV 64 is slower than the LE. The 8500 DV 128 is suposedly clocked faster, but I don't know if it was at LE speeds, or at regular speeds.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
In addition to being clocked slower, some of the LEs have slower memory, so they can't be clocked back up to the retail speeds. Some are able to reach the retail speeds though.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

G

So, it appears to be a marginal difference, especially if it performs between the 8500DV and the retail 8500.

So, would people recommend I return the LE for a retail 8500? Or is it really not noticeable in games, which was my only concern. If its not really noticeable, then I don't care.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Probably not very noticable in games, however, it depends on which one you got. If you don't want to bother, then enjoy your card. I like my LE, and am working to figure out how to get it to run at retail speeds (It has 3.6ns Mem, but I get an artifact in a few tests if I run it at retail speeds)