Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal Am I screwed?

Have a client's pc in the shop. They complained that they couldnt get into
windows except for safe mode. When you try and start the pc in normal mode,
it goes to the windows logo screen and reboots. I turned off "reboot on
error" (in safe mode) and here's what I get when I try in normal mode:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x000000D1 (0x0000303) 0x00000FF 0x0000000 0x0000303

I have tried EVERYTHING- ghosted to a new hard drive, did in-place upgrade,
did chkdsk /r in recovery console, did fixboot and fixmbr in recovery
console. Took all devices out of the PC, then did another in-place upgrade.
Tested memory. If I stick another drive in the PC and do a fresh install,
the pc works fine. I've poked through all of the other KB articles, ALL of
them, and nothing works. I did see the one KB article that had the same hex
code as what I've got, but all I get is "this is a known problem with
windows" and NO solution. This is a real-estate agent's PC here in town and
they really need this thing to work.

Any ideas?

TIA

Brendan

It's usually a faulty driver that's associated with x0D1 errors.
start in safe mode, and check two things, event viewer and device manager.
Hopefully one of those things will point to the device that has the faulty
driver, if in fact that's what it is.

"lord_verminaard" <lord_verminaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E45093A0-E3E3-4098-AD0F-D5534C2839A2@microsoft.com...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316208
"lord_verminaard" <lord_verminaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E45093A0-E3E3-4098-AD0F-D5534C2839A2@microsoft.com...
> Have a client's pc in the shop. They complained that they couldnt get
> into
> windows except for safe mode. When you try and start the pc in normal
> mode,
> it goes to the windows logo screen and reboots. I turned off "reboot on
> error" (in safe mode) and here's what I get when I try in normal mode:
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> 0x000000D1 (0x0000303) 0x00000FF 0x0000000 0x0000303
>
> I have tried EVERYTHING- ghosted to a new hard drive, did in-place
> upgrade,
> did chkdsk /r in recovery console, did fixboot and fixmbr in recovery
> console. Took all devices out of the PC, then did another in-place
> upgrade.
> Tested memory. If I stick another drive in the PC and do a fresh install,
> the pc works fine. I've poked through all of the other KB articles, ALL
> of
> them, and nothing works. I did see the one KB article that had the same
> hex
> code as what I've got, but all I get is "this is a known problem with
> windows" and NO solution. This is a real-estate agent's PC here in town
> and
> they really need this thing to work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Brendan

Jim

"lord_verminaard" <lord_verminaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E45093A0-E3E3-4098-AD0F-D5534C2839A2@microsoft.com...
> Have a client's pc in the shop. They complained that they couldnt get
> into
> windows except for safe mode. When you try and start the pc in normal
> mode,
> it goes to the windows logo screen and reboots. I turned off "reboot on
> error" (in safe mode) and here's what I get when I try in normal mode:
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> 0x000000D1 (0x0000303) 0x00000FF 0x0000000 0x0000303
>
> I have tried EVERYTHING- ghosted to a new hard drive, did in-place
> upgrade,
> did chkdsk /r in recovery console, did fixboot and fixmbr in recovery
> console. Took all devices out of the PC, then did another in-place
> upgrade.
> Tested memory. If I stick another drive in the PC and do a fresh install,
> the pc works fine. I've poked through all of the other KB articles, ALL
> of
> them, and nothing works. I did see the one KB article that had the same
> hex
> code as what I've got, but all I get is "this is a known problem with
> windows" and NO solution. This is a real-estate agent's PC here in town
> and
> they really need this thing to work.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Brendan

Since a fresh install fixed the problem........
There is a bad (corrupted) driver somewhere.
This sounds like lots of work to me...
Jim

Thanks for the replies, but there is NO mylex raid controller in the system.
in fact, I took EVERY device out of the system, using onboard video, no
sound, no modem, no network, even took out one of the CD drives. Doing an
in-place upgrade with all devices out should reset all of the drivers,
correct? Event viewer shows some strange things, but nothing to do with
drivers.

Anything else?

Brendan

Take your memory if you can and stick another in and see if it helps. Or run
Memtest86 on your current memory and see if you get any errors. You should
complete all seven tests with no errors.

"lord_verminaard" <lordverminaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:AA8A1A0B-2783-4BDB-83CF-8C538FB2B628@microsoft.com...

"Ed." wrote:

> Take your memory if you can and stick another in and see if it helps. Or run
> Memtest86 on your current memory and see if you get any errors. You should
> complete all seven tests with no errors.

Ya, memory was tested too. Oh well, the client agreed to pay us 4 hours
labor and bring us the book of software to be re-installed. Works ok now.
Thanks much M$. :p

Brendan