NVidia Vs Ati Round 1! Fight!

G

About this conflict with Nvidia and Ati and who is better. Ok there are 2 thing Ati and a few other companys have done better than Nvidia.

1)They have made better Tv-out and S-video outputs,

2)I don't know to much about the Geforce 4 but nvidia has been cursed by cards that have a bottleneck effect.

3) well i know i said to but this is something i am bitching about but What i don't get is why Nvidia released the geforce 3 ti cards at lower clock speeds. It doesn't make much sense since faster Ram and Core Clock speeds make faster transfer,fill rates and what not, I do understand that it kept the price down. But I would rather pay for a card that has a longer shelf life. I just bought a geforce ti500 only to see a geforce 4 is coming out. ACK!

But I have noticed something about people and how they feel towards certian thing. ALOT OF YOU PEOPLE ARE VERY VERY BIAS! You defend Ati so bad lol. Its not a bad thing ati has done alot of successful things, Cheap price for a decent card, nice bundle packages with there cards and working TV-out lol. But the point being their cards have alot of Driver issues.

Now nvidia is not the be all end all of Video Card companys but they are on top. I see more people bidding on Geforce products then on ati cards. Here is a link for it but i can buy a Ati video card ending in 13hours for under 100 bucks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2013825095

Now i look for a geforce card yes the gts can be easly bought for under 70 bucks but a geforce 4 has 30 bids and is over $300.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2014235422

People have their money in on Nvidia. I don't know if it is just me but it is showing that the general people want a powerful card and Nvidia is doing it. If you look at time so far it has been this

Radeon 7200-> Geforce GTS/Pro-->Radeon 7500--->Geforce 2 Ultra--Geforce 3--->Radeon 8500---> Geforce ti200/500---->Geforce 4

Nvidia has been 1 step ahead of Ati the whole time. Anyone saying they seen the radeon 8500 outpreform a geforce 4 is full of poo, because right here at toms hardware it shows benchmarks of the Geforce 4 killing the Radeon 8500 and so what they release a new card by then the Geforce 4 will already have a bigger brother.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
[chorus]<font color=blue>to the tune "Proud Mary"</font color=blue>[/chorus]

Trollin'... Trollin' on a river ...
lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>

G

^_^ i would also like to add i like both cards i think they both are very powerful cards. Its just the ati cards seem to be rushed alot more then the geforce cards. Its like ati trys to counterattack with a card they think will be the better but in the end the whole time Nvidia is waiting for them to do this so they can drop the next better and faster card. I read someones post a few post backs and it said that "Ati keeps playing catch up" And i can only say they are true. But in the end this card is to do one thing. To Play video games and they both do them well. I haven't ran into one game i can't play. Besides aquanox man that game cranked on full detail takes a toll on the card but that game sucks anyways lol it is only pretty ^_^.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
both ati and nvidia have their strengths and weaknesses...sometimes one more than another...but its all depends on price and preference...ie...people buy AMD cuz they're cheap and fast (faster than P4's too)...people buy P4's cuz they like intel's commercials (ie...them stupid aliens and blueman group)...im not sure why people buy nvidia over ati and vice versa....but id suggest you not continuing/starting another thread like this...we dont wanna start a flame war w/ trolls and all...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

G

I just hate ATI cards. It's for people how like to do video stuff with their pc. i don't.

my money is on a GeForce 4. I still have my geforce256 DDR and i'm not scared to put money on their newest technology.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Radeon 7200-> Geforce GTS/Pro-->Radeon 7500--->Geforce 2 Ultra--Geforce 3--->Radeon 8500---> Geforce ti200/500---->Geforce 4
Actually, if that's in order of performance then that's incorrect.

Radeon 7200-> Geforce GTS/Pro-->Radeon 7500--->Geforce 2 Ultra--Geforce 3--->Geforce ti200/500---->Radeon 8500---> Geforce 4

That's more accurate.

I support ATI because I love their drivers, the new unified drivers are so flexible and so easy to program tweaks for.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, if that's in order of performance then that's incorrect.

Radeon 7200-> Geforce GTS/Pro-->Radeon 7500--->Geforce 2 Ultra--Geforce 3--->Geforce ti200/500---->Radeon 8500---> Geforce 4

That's more accurate.

I support ATI because I love their drivers, the new unified drivers are so flexible and so easy to program tweaks for.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
you double posted...lol...

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Okay i love Nvidia, i'm a nvidia fanboy but i try to be fair. I love Nvidia's constantly updated unified driver architecture thats never given me ANY problems, note thought that i only use the officially released versions. I'm on 28.32 now. So here's my Nvidia pitch:

1600x1200, 32bit color, anisotropic filtering, 4xS super AA @50+ fps in perfectly brilliant color in Renegade, Max Payne, Jedi Knight 2, and F1 2001. Oh, god, help us all only on the Geforce 4 TI 4600-)))))))))

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 04/03/02 11:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Hey! I'm the one who's suposed to be doing troll songs!!! :wink:

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Even with the inital drivers, the 8500 outperformed the TI200, and with current drivers, the 8500 outperforms the TI500. And, on slower computers, the 8500 beats out the GF4 in some cases (Search the boards for a post about it. It was a P4 1.5GHZ system, and the 8500 outperformed the GF4 4600 in Serious Sam with the 6043 drivers.)

But, in general, the GF4 is a more powerfull card. However, I look for what I can get for my money, and I see the 8500 as a low priced, high performance videocard solution. I've had less problems with their drivers than I have with Nvidia drivers (I can't get them to work for my old TNT card, and had stability problems with them for my GF2 MX).

Image quality is something that I look at too, and I've found my 8500 to have a superior immage quality to some of the Nvidia products I've seen. However, this is a VERY subjective area.

You want the top performance? The GF4 is where to get it. However, I personaly don't feel it's worth the extra over an 8500 for the performance difference. (at the moment, it's about a $120 price difference between the retail 8500 64MB and the GF4 TI4400, and another $100 over the GF4 TI4600)

What THG should do, is a roundup of all the GF4 TI cards and compair them (4400 benchmarks would be nice as well as 4600), and throw in the retail 8500 with the 6043 or 6052 drivers.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep them doggies postin', my fingers are swollen, Rawhide!

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
Nvidia is faster but ATI's has allways had a better Picture quality and more Direct X 8.1 support etc... And U pay more for the name NVIDIA being on the box ...

Just like an intel - AMD thing -----Intel Is faster but amd has more perfomance and is cheaper... you don't pay 100+ for the name intel on the box

:p

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:

G

But see everyone is doing the fanboy thing here. Intel vs Amd well intel also has a nice way of keeping their cpu from frying if the fan falls of while the t-bird goes up in smoke along with the durons. And a PIII Just hangs,while the P4 clocks down to prevent cookage. Now on the Nvidia thing i play EQ alot and i hear alot of people complain that the 8500 cause flickering in menu screens. Also how can you really compare a MX to a Ati 8500 or even a 7500 because the MX cards are budget cards that can be bought for less then $150 bucks! and they give alot of bang for the buck i would have to say.

G

But really if you check out here at this site about card preformance in the new benchmarks for the Geforce 4 cards the ti200 beats the 7500 the radeon 8500 beats thes ti200 and the ti500 beats the radeon 8500 and the geforce 4 kill all else. If ya don't believe check em out. But anyways this is why i started the post i want to see everyones general opinion about this to video card titans

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
in reply to: "Nvidia is faster but ATI's has allways had a better Picture quality" -The_Neon_Cowboy

That just isnt true anymore dude, with the GF4 i get amazingly good quality in the picture and color. Better than any Radeon i've seen in my opinion. Was shocked when i switched from GF3 to GF4 4600 at the huge increase in picture quality i got.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Which reviews are you looking at? I've not seen one reciently where the 8500 was outperformed by a GF3 of any type.

Ultimately, as with every computer purchase, feeling good about what you bought is what is best. Some people feel better buying Intel or AMD, for whatever reason. Same thing with ATI or Nvidia. If you need to have a particular brand of product in your computer (Hey, I usually try to avoid non-western digital HDs) to feel comfortable about it, then go for it. Just make sure you do your research and know what you are getting.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Western Digital's same way for me-) tried one maxtor 60gig when i was building my new p4 rig while back, it just burned out literally in 6 months, motors wore out on it and it just....died.... Went back to western digital with a 100gig drive...works way better thant he Maxtor ever did...Been reading bout lots of problems with IBM drives burning out in 3 to 6 months too.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thing is R8500's Pixel shader is 1.4 and the GF4 Ti's Pixel shader is 1.3 . The GF4 isnt a DX 8.1 video if you think about it. DX 8.1 require's Pixel shaders 1.4. Nvidia says GF4 is DX 8.1 card but its not.

Thats just to prove your wrong....

---------------

Also dont start Troll Threads here like the CPU forum.

I invented ctrl-alt-del but Bill [Gates] made it famous - Dave Bradley IBM PC designer

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmmm, I can tell you haven't tried an R8500 with the latest drivers. :wink:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, I suggest you do the research. They were using outdated drivers.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I dont need research, proof is in the pudding baby.

I was about to order a 8500 for myself, I think its important everyone reads this as its the case 9/10times...

Got myself a shiny Geforce 3 (the original one)... plugged it in, ZERO problems since then.. NOTHING...I love it, its fast, a great upgrade from my GF2 GTS. I can even use the 4XS AA of the G4 with it!!!
I'm a happy gamer.

now lets go to a co worker of mines story, he bought a 8500. He was previously using a TI200. He pops in the 8500, BAM! Motherboard incompatibilitys, goes, checks into it, he was using a bios revision with a fix SPECIFICALY FOR radeon 8500s... he flashes BACK to one without the RADEON FIX, works better but still does not work correctly..
He is considering a motherboard upgrade (he has a KT266 chipset board now).. Thats ATI boys.

I told him if I could test the board on my PC I might trade him straight up for my visiontek GF3. He said he would do that in a minute.

So go ahead, enjoy your 3dmarks but I have great performance in both direct3d and opengl (I've seen the radeon doing poorly in opengl).
And I also have great AA.
This is JUST a GF3... I say, take your chances on ATI but I could tell they were trouble from all the fuss I put up with my ATI TV Wonder<-JUNK.
8500s are great for those willing to have to put up with some problems and have time to spend on messing with it.. I consider it experimental still, buggy and not evenspread on performance(much like the Kyro2 was).

Only one true big dog left in town IMO.

First round K.O.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
are you sure your coworker COMPLETELY removed all the old nvidia drivers from the Ti200 before installing the 8500? We all know how ati and nvidia drivers don't get along...

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

TRENDING THREADS