Wireless dies... comes alive again but internet doesnt wor..

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm running XP Pro with a small wireless dongle connecting to a wireless
router. Everything works fine but sometimes if the aerials are pointing in
the wrong direction or something then the wireless connection drops.

If a program such as internet explorer attempts to access the internet too
many times while the wireless connection isnt there then it will stop trying
after a while. (which makes sense i guess)

But when the connection comes back the internet still doesnt work until i'm
forced to do a system restore operation.

Is there an easier way of telling XP that the internet is there?

Many regards

Dan Bowles

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:38:23 +0100, "Dan" <dan23@happyREMOVElobster.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm running XP Pro with a small wireless dongle connecting to a wireless
>router. Everything works fine but sometimes if the aerials are pointing in
>the wrong direction or something then the wireless connection drops.
>
>If a program such as internet explorer attempts to access the internet too
>many times while the wireless connection isnt there then it will stop trying
>after a while. (which makes sense i guess)
>
>But when the connection comes back the internet still doesnt work until i'm
>forced to do a system restore operation.
>
>Is there an easier way of telling XP that the internet is there?
>
>Many regards
>
>Dan Bowles

Dan,

Are you running DHCP on the problem computer? Try "ipconfig /release" then
"ipconfig /renew".

Cheers,
Chuck

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Are you running DHCP on the problem computer? Try "ipconfig /release"
then
> "ipconfig /renew".
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Thats perfect Chuck! Works like a dream! Many thanks for sharing your
knowledge...this one had been stumping me for a while now.

Thanks again mister!

Regards,

Dan

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:10:47 +0100, "Dan" <dan23@happyREMOVElobster.co.uk> wrote:

>> Are you running DHCP on the problem computer? Try "ipconfig /release"
>then
>> "ipconfig /renew".
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck
>> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.
>
>Thats perfect Chuck! Works like a dream! Many thanks for sharing your
>knowledge...this one had been stumping me for a while now.
>
>Thanks again mister!
>
>Regards,
>
>Dan

Welcome, Dan. Glad it helped.