Serious Problems

G

Im wondering if anyone can help me with a serious problem im having.
here goes:
Everytime i try playing 3d games that are memory/processor/graphics intensive my computer crashes with
differing messages of VxD,Kernel and VMM errors.
When i reboot my pc i get the blue screen of death with errors like:
VMM (01) +000082ED Error: OD : 0028: C00092ED
and Error :06:0028:C0027E5F
and VXD Errors with similar numbers.
Ive tried formatting my PC several times and im at the end of my teather and ive no clue on what it might be that is the problem.
I think it may be something to do with the memory/memory bank, but ive no other sticks to put in my pc to test it and im not sure if i can swap a stick of memory into a different bank without formatting?
MY Specs are:
Athlon 1.4 [200FSB]
ECS K7S5A DDR Mainboard
256MB DDR RAM
64MB Gefotrce 3 Ti/450
Liteon Writer 24x10x40
40 GB Hard Drive
Windows ME
Ive tried all the latest Detonator drivers, Ive updated my AGP bios for my mobo etc.
Im asking if anyone has any help or suggestions as to what the problem is? or an i going to have to take it to a comp shop [wich costs alot] to be sorted?
Thx in Advance.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Yes, you can swap the RAM modules between banks without reformating - actually it is probably the most painless operation you can do on a hardware. But I also doubt that that will solve your problems - only if you have a bad bank, something that isn't all that common.

The problem may lie in the power supply or maybe in a IRQ conflict - remove everything you don't need and start from the ground up. But the error you are getting also looks like a memory problem - deactivate the "fast boot" (or similar) option in BIOS to have the computer to make a simple, but more complete, memory test and use memory testing software.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

G

here's a quote from an article at: http://www.aselabs.com/articles.php?articleid=16&page=8

"History
ECS has a bad history. Their boards are not stable, and often have many problems with compatibility. The worst part about the boards, and still continues to be a problem is just low quality. Boards arrive DOA often, and more often just die after being used for a bit. The price might make up for it, but to me, its not worth the hassle.
Rating: 1/10 "
- AND -
"Products Worth Mentioning:
The ECS K7S5A is one of the cheapest boards I've seen anywhere, and while there were a lot of RMAs, and a lot of issues with it, its a nice attempt to open up the market.
Rating: 2/10 "
that would probably explain your problems. my rule #1 in system building is don't skimp on the motherboard.
but yes, you can try to swap out some RAM and see if it does better, or possibly even swap the video card? good luck.

EDIT - i just noticed that you are also running winME. if you do end up trying to re-format again, dont use winME. that+your motherboard could also be the source of your troubles.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jose_pointero on 04/05/02 02:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>