Mac

Is there a safeguard built in to keep someone from installing any of the XP
versions and then changing the product key prior to activating it? Or can
you only change a previously activated key? And why would you want to change
the key to begin with? I'm totally baffled by that.

Mac

If you go into the system BIOS, change the boot order such that the primary
drive (C) is first in the boot order followed by the CD-ROM, then floppy,
and you password protect your system BIOS, that will stop the casual passer
by from booting from an XP CD..

One proviso.. do NOT forget your password.. it is possible to bypass some,
but in the case of a laptop, it may not be.. print the password onto a
letter/A4 size sheet of paper and use Scotchtape/Sellotape/Duct tape to fix
it to the inside back wall of your bedroom closet..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a safeguard built in to keep someone from installing any of the
> XP
> versions and then changing the product key prior to activating it? Or can
> you only change a previously activated key? And why would you want to
> change
> the key to begin with? I'm totally baffled by that.

Mac

So somebody could do that. What a shame. Okay, everything's under lock and
key from now on. I've never password protected my bios before. I will from
now on.

Thanks

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Mac
>
> If you go into the system BIOS, change the boot order such that the primary
> drive (C) is first in the boot order followed by the CD-ROM, then floppy,
> and you password protect your system BIOS, that will stop the casual passer
> by from booting from an XP CD..
>
> One proviso.. do NOT forget your password.. it is possible to bypass some,
> but in the case of a laptop, it may not be.. print the password onto a
> letter/A4 size sheet of paper and use Scotchtape/Sellotape/Duct tape to fix
> it to the inside back wall of your bedroom closet..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a safeguard built in to keep someone from installing any of the
> > XP
> > versions and then changing the product key prior to activating it? Or can
> > you only change a previously activated key? And why would you want to
> > change
> > the key to begin with? I'm totally baffled by that.

If you want the kind of security you seem to suggest you want, "lock and
key" is the way.
Physically secure the computer.
Law 3:
If a bad guy has unrestricted physical access to your computer, it's not
your computer anymore
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> So somebody could do that. What a shame. Okay, everything's under lock
> and
> key from now on. I've never password protected my bios before. I will
> from
> now on.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Mac
>>
>> If you go into the system BIOS, change the boot order such that the
>> primary
>> drive (C) is first in the boot order followed by the CD-ROM, then floppy,
>> and you password protect your system BIOS, that will stop the casual
>> passer
>> by from booting from an XP CD..
>>
>> One proviso.. do NOT forget your password.. it is possible to bypass
>> some,
>> but in the case of a laptop, it may not be.. print the password onto a
>> letter/A4 size sheet of paper and use Scotchtape/Sellotape/Duct tape to
>> fix
>> it to the inside back wall of your bedroom closet..
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a safeguard built in to keep someone from installing any of
>> > the
>> > XP
>> > versions and then changing the product key prior to activating it? Or
>> > can
>> > you only change a previously activated key? And why would you want to
>> > change
>> > the key to begin with? I'm totally baffled by that.

Mac

One last comment - if you can do this, and actually get a "free" install of
an XP version simply by changing the key prior to activating, why are the
instructions for how to do the change floating around?

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> If you want the kind of security you seem to suggest you want, "lock and
> key" is the way.
> Physically secure the computer.
> Law 3:
> If a bad guy has unrestricted physical access to your computer, it's not
> your computer anymore
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.mspx
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So somebody could do that. What a shame. Okay, everything's under lock
> > and
> > key from now on. I've never password protected my bios before. I will
> > from
> > now on.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Mac
> >>
> >> If you go into the system BIOS, change the boot order such that the
> >> primary
> >> drive (C) is first in the boot order followed by the CD-ROM, then floppy,
> >> and you password protect your system BIOS, that will stop the casual
> >> passer
> >> by from booting from an XP CD..
> >>
> >> One proviso.. do NOT forget your password.. it is possible to bypass
> >> some,
> >> but in the case of a laptop, it may not be.. print the password onto a
> >> letter/A4 size sheet of paper and use Scotchtape/Sellotape/Duct tape to
> >> fix
> >> it to the inside back wall of your bedroom closet..
> >>

> >> --
> >> Mike Hall
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >>

> >> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You don't get a free install.
The instructions are not really "floating around", Microsoft has posted the
information for all to easily find:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874
Many, especially businesses have many computers and occasionally need to
change the key without performing a Clean or Repair Installation
If you are changing from one key to another (both must be the same type),
Microsoft assumes you own both.

--

> One last comment - if you can do this, and actually get a "free" install
> of
> an XP version simply by changing the key prior to activating, why are the
> instructions for how to do the change floating around?
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you want the kind of security you seem to suggest you want, "lock and
>> key" is the way.
>> Physically secure the computer.
>> Law 3:
>> If a bad guy has unrestricted physical access to your computer, it's not
>> your computer anymore
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > So somebody could do that. What a shame. Okay, everything's under
>> > lock
>> > and
>> > key from now on. I've never password protected my bios before. I will
>> > from
>> > now on.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Mac

I see - they give you the key for both, or it's in a group of keys. Thanks.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> You don't get a free install.
> The instructions are not really "floating around", Microsoft has posted the
> information for all to easily find:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328874
> Many, especially businesses have many computers and occasionally need to
> change the key without performing a Clean or Repair Installation
> If you are changing from one key to another (both must be the same type),
> Microsoft assumes you own both.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One last comment - if you can do this, and actually get a "free" install
> > of
> > an XP version simply by changing the key prior to activating, why are the
> > instructions for how to do the change floating around?
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If you want the kind of security you seem to suggest you want, "lock and
> >> key" is the way.
> >> Physically secure the computer.
> >> Law 3:
> >> If a bad guy has unrestricted physical access to your computer, it's not
> >> your computer anymore
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.mspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> >> http://www.dts-l.org
> >>

> >> "Mac" <Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bios passwords can be bypassed too, it's easier than a windows password.