UK Dell False Advertising...

....or just a rubbish website.

Example (including their spelling mistake!):
"This week cool summer deal!
Dimension 5100 + Free Delivery £341 Price inc. VAT and Delivery (£70 savings
Included)
Offer ends 20/07/2005"

"Cool!" thought I!

So I go through the 'Customise and Buy' process, adding absolutely nothing
to the system (and unable to remove anything I don't need, like the monitor)
and it comes out at £482.

Shurley shome mishtake, Occifer...*hic*

And this isn't the first time, either...

JJ (UK)

Can you post a link to the offer?

"JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
> ...or just a rubbish website.
>
> Example (including their spelling mistake!):
> "This week cool summer deal!
> Dimension 5100 + Free Delivery £341 Price inc. VAT and Delivery (£70
> savings
> Included)
> Offer ends 20/07/2005"
>
> "Cool!" thought I!
>
> So I go through the 'Customise and Buy' process, adding absolutely nothing
> to the system (and unable to remove anything I don't need, like the
> monitor)
> and it comes out at £482.
>
> Shurley shome mishtake, Occifer...*hic*
>
> And this isn't the first time, either...
>
> JJ (UK)

Never mind. The problem is a minor bug in the HTML for the page. The default
for the warranty is 3 years, adding the additional cost.

If you change it to the least expensive warranty, as was intended, it
changes to£341.

I'd hardly call a typo false advertising.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> Never mind. The problem is a minor bug in the HTML for the page. The
> default for the warranty is 3 years, adding the additional cost.
>
> If you change it to the least expensive warranty, as was intended, it
> changes to£341.
>
> I'd hardly call a typo false advertising.
>
> Tom
> "JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
>> ...or just a rubbish website.
>>
>> Example (including their spelling mistake!):
>> "This week cool summer deal!
>> Dimension 5100 + Free Delivery £341 Price inc. VAT and Delivery (£70
>> savings
>> Included)
>> Offer ends 20/07/2005"
>>
>> "Cool!" thought I!
>>
>> So I go through the 'Customise and Buy' process, adding absolutely
>> nothing to the system (and unable to remove anything I don't need,
>> like the monitor)
>> and it comes out at £482.
>>
>> Shurley shome mishtake, Occifer...*hic*
>>
>> And this isn't the first time, either...
>>
>> JJ (UK)

This kind of poor web presentation is getting to be characteristic of
Dell and results in unnecessary confusion for the customer. It's
probably no more than trying to keep up with all of the special offers
and options Dell has, but it's caused me to call customer service for
clarification several times - often with even more confusion when the
sales people don't have clearly defined information either.

For months, the Axim pages have had the X50v with two different prices
in frames adjacent to each other, with special offers on the same unit
further conflicting the main presentation.

Obviously the customers are able to work things out, but the web could
be better organized.

Good spot...

JJ (UK)

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> Never mind. The problem is a minor bug in the HTML for the page. The
>> default for the warranty is 3 years, adding the additional cost.
>>
>> If you change it to the least expensive warranty, as was intended, it
>> changes to£341.
>>
>> I'd hardly call a typo false advertising.
>>
>> Tom
>> "JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
>>> ...or just a rubbish website.
>>>
>>> Example (including their spelling mistake!):
>>> "This week cool summer deal!
>>> Dimension 5100 + Free Delivery £341 Price inc. VAT and Delivery (£70
>>> savings
>>> Included)
>>> Offer ends 20/07/2005"
>>>
>>> "Cool!" thought I!
>>>
>>> So I go through the 'Customise and Buy' process, adding absolutely
>>> nothing to the system (and unable to remove anything I don't need,
>>> like the monitor)
>>> and it comes out at £482.
>>>
>>> Shurley shome mishtake, Occifer...*hic*
>>>
>>> And this isn't the first time, either...
>>>
>>> JJ (UK)
>
> This kind of poor web presentation is getting to be characteristic of Dell
> and results in unnecessary confusion for the customer. It's probably no
> more than trying to keep up with all of the special offers and options
> Dell has, but it's caused me to call customer service for clarification
> several times - often with even more confusion when the sales people don't
> have clearly defined information either.
>
> For months, the Axim pages have had the X50v with two different prices in
> frames adjacent to each other, with special offers on the same unit
> further conflicting the main presentation.
>
> Obviously the customers are able to work things out, but the web could be
> better organized.

It is a Dell weakness. The multiple channels competing, home, small
business, etc. is even more confusing.

The worst is their order tracking system. I keep getting the machines
elivered before the system says they're built!