HELP - very slow computer cause by one particular file

I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
goes...

It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within 'My
Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened folder
A to view its contents.

This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a message -
"Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This message
comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
other users.

I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created a
duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it from
either the folder or the Desktop.

Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about help slow computer file

    Try and disable it in Start\Run\type; msconfig and hit enter\startup
    tab\uncheck unknown programs (other than antivirus, office shortcut bar,
    messenger) and next go to Start\Run\type
    regedit\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in each
    of the run keys there should be one default alphanumeric value and in the
    Local Machine\run key also the antivirus process, also the messenger and
    office shortcut bar... delete any unknown process you may find in any or
    both the Run keys and check if the file has been deleted. Next go to
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html and download the next antispyware
    programs:
    Adaware SE Personal, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, CWShredder.
    Update them after you intall them and scan your computer to get rid of
    hidden spyware programs that may still be in the system.

    ----------------------------------
    "Bennos" <bswong19@yahoo.com.au> escribió en el mensaje
    > I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
    > goes...
    >
    > It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within
    'My
    > Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened
    folder
    > A to view its contents.
    >
    > This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a
    message -
    > "Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This
    message
    > comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
    > other users.
    >
    > I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
    > computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
    > opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created
    > duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it
    from
    > either the folder or the Desktop.
    >
    > Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Remove the .avi file from the playlist of any program you used to view the
    file. Then try to delete the file again.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Bennos" <bswong19@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
    > goes...
    >
    > It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within
    > 'My
    > Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened
    > folder
    > A to view its contents.
    >
    > This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a
    > message -
    > "Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This
    > message
    > comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
    > other users.
    >
    > I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
    > computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
    > opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created
    > duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it
    > from
    > either the folder or the Desktop.
    >
    > Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Bennos,

    See: http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bennos" <bswong19@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
    > goes...
    >
    > It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within
    > 'My
    > Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened
    > folder
    > A to view its contents.
    >
    > This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a
    > message -
    > "Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This
    > message
    > comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
    > other users.
    >
    > I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
    > computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
    > opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created
    > duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it
    > from
    > either the folder or the Desktop.
    >
    > Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.
    >
    > Thanks!

    "Bennos" <bswong19@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have a problem with an .avi file, I think it may have a virus. Here
    > goes...
    >
    > It was downloaded from an unknow site. While kept in a folder (A) within
    > 'My
    > Documents' folder it greatly slowed any operations whenever I opened
    > folder
    > A to view its contents.
    >
    > This .avi file will not delete and can't be moved, comes up with a
    > message -
    > "Cannot delete '.avi file': It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." This
    > message
    > comes up even when no programs are opened, its a stand alone home pc so no
    > other users.
    >
    > I stupidly copied (it copies OK) it onto my Desktop. Now it slows the
    > computer down all the time where it used to only slow the computer when I
    > opened the folder that contained the .avi file. What I've done is created
    > duplicate of a problem. Its now in two locations and I can't delete it
    > from
    > either the folder or the Desktop.
    >
    > Please help/advice to permanently delete this .avi file.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Explorer is normally configured to show a preview of an image file. If the
    ..avi file is huge or corrupted it take a long time, or forever, to show the
    preview and Explorer hangs in the meantime.

    See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1206400,00.asp.

    You can also try the following:
    - Load Task Manager.
    - Under the Processes tab, delete all instances of "explorer.exe".
    - The desktop GUI disappears (because explorer.exe is used for it).
    - Use Task Manager's File -> New Task menu to run "cmd.exe".
    - A DOS shell appears in console mode.
    - Navigate to the path with the problematic file and delete it.
    - Close the DOS shell by running the "exit" command.
    - In Task Manager's File -> New Task menu, run "explorer.exe".
    - The desktop GUI reappears (some tray icons may not be displayed until
    after a reboot).
    - Exit Task Manager.

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

Computers AVI Windows XP