Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Repeaters/Range Extenders?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 9, 2004 10:23:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Can any Wireless Access Point be used to extend the range of a Wireless
Network?

I've got a Motorola SBG900 and I need some sort of repeater/range-extender.

Will a simple Access Point (like this:
http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wa840g...) work?

Thanks,

--
#include <disclaimer.h>
Christopher Miller
cm007i@hotmail.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2004 12:32:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"<<>>" <cm007i@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:SAIxc.171619$WA4.108039@twister.nyc.rr.com:

> Can any Wireless Access Point be used to extend the range of a
> Wireless Network?

Yes, but they are usually proprietary.



--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2004 7:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have a similar need. I want a 5 mile link that is not quite line of sight
but I can put up a mid-point to give me two LOS links in series. What's the
simplest hardware for the midpoint? I was thinking of just antennas & amps.
Is this realistic?
TIA, Peter.

"<<>>" <cm007i@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:SAIxc.171619$WA4.108039@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Can any Wireless Access Point be used to extend the range of a Wireless
> Network?
>
> I've got a Motorola SBG900 and I need some sort of
repeater/range-extender.
>
> Will a simple Access Point (like this:
> http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wa840g...) work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> #include <disclaimer.h>
> Christopher Miller
> cm007i@hotmail.com
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2004 7:27:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I would use two access points, back to back for the center node.

Mike Schumann

"Peter Mounsey" <peter.mounseynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:k7%xc.149$js4.11@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> I have a similar need. I want a 5 mile link that is not quite line of
sight
> but I can put up a mid-point to give me two LOS links in series. What's
the
> simplest hardware for the midpoint? I was thinking of just antennas &
amps.
> Is this realistic?
> TIA, Peter.
>
> "<<>>" <cm007i@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:SAIxc.171619$WA4.108039@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> > Can any Wireless Access Point be used to extend the range of a Wireless
> > Network?
> >
> > I've got a Motorola SBG900 and I need some sort of
> repeater/range-extender.
> >
> > Will a simple Access Point (like this:
> > http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wa840g...) work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > #include <disclaimer.h>
> > Christopher Miller
> > cm007i@hotmail.com
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2004 7:27:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Peter Mounsey" <peter.mounseynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<k7%xc.149$js4.11@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> I have a similar need. I want a 5 mile link that is not quite line of sight
> but I can put up a mid-point to give me two LOS links in series. What's the
> simplest hardware for the midpoint? I was thinking of just antennas & amps.
> Is this realistic?
> TIA, Peter.
>
> "<<>>" <cm007i@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:SAIxc.171619$WA4.108039@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> > Can any Wireless Access Point be used to extend the range of a Wireless
> > Network?
> >
> > I've got a Motorola SBG900 and I need some sort of
> repeater/range-extender.
> >
> > Will a simple Access Point (like this:
> > http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wa840g...) work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > #include <disclaimer.h>
> > Christopher Miller
> > cm007i@hotmail.com

If you are looking to keep the cost down, you could use Linksys
WAP11's. I have used them in both home and commercial environments and
they work quite well as long as you have clear LOS. Any interference
creates a lot of lost packets which can make the connection very poor.
You would need to use 4 AP's to create the link. 1 at your starting
point, 2 at midpoint and 1 at the final destination. Bridge 1 and 2
together, use a crossover cable to connect 2 to 3, and bridge 3 and 4
together. With some nice amps and antennas you should have no problem
creating the connection. I would really recommend you use YDI's AP
Plus or AP ANT-LR. You also need to make sure you have the proper loss
over the cables to the amps or you will defeat the purpose of using
them. If you want to see some software that will help you determine
exactly how much cable you need to create the right amount of loss, I
would recommend you visit http://www.ydi.com/calculation/index.php.
You can also call YDI and ask for Greg. Tell him Vinny from WiFidirect
said to call him for some help. He will give you some great
information and offer suggestions to help you create your project.
Their access points are a little more expensive, but are exceptionally
stable and high quality.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 14, 2004 9:32:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Vinny Gullotta" <vin@vjg.cc> wrote in message
news:159ce3c0.0406101334.5e83e302@posting.google.com...
..com
>
> If you are looking to keep the cost down, you could use Linksys
> WAP11's. I have used them in both home and commercial environments and
> they work quite well as long as you have clear LOS. Any interference
> creates a lot of lost packets which can make the connection very poor.
> You would need to use 4 AP's to create the link. 1 at your starting
> point, 2 at midpoint and 1 at the final destination. Bridge 1 and 2
> together, use a crossover cable to connect 2 to 3, and bridge 3 and 4
> together. With some nice amps and antennas you should have no problem
> creating the connection. I would really recommend you use YDI's AP
> Plus or AP ANT-LR. You also need to make sure you have the proper loss
> over the cables to the amps or you will defeat the purpose of using
> them. If you want to see some software that will help you determine
> exactly how much cable you need to create the right amount of loss, I
> would recommend you visit http://www.ydi.com/calculation/index.php.
> You can also call YDI and ask for Greg. Tell him Vinny from WiFidirect
> said to call him for some help. He will give you some great
> information and offer suggestions to help you create your project.
> Their access points are a little more expensive, but are exceptionally
> stable and high quality.


Do I understand correctly that none of the 4 WAP11s is providing an Access
Point, as they are all in bridge mode..

So you have effectively bridged a wired network at point 1 to that at point
4?

I have seen some devices described as mulitpoint bridges, which implied that
they could be used to communicate with 2 remote bridges ...

ie you would perhaps only need 1 of these multipoint bridges in the centre ?


Is it not possible to use 2 repeaters rather tahn a bridge ?

If you have one in the middle (point 2) associated with the WAP11 acting as
an access point (at point 1), and another at point 4 associated with the one
at point 2, and if this is also acting as an access point do you not have a
spread wireless network?

John



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.705 / Virus Database: 461 - Release Date: 12/06/2004
!