Using WRT54G as Wireless Acess Point Only?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 9, 2004 6:54:34 PM

Hey Everyone,

A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no longer
needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that I
could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If anyone
has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul
--------------
Paul Becker
paul@pbecker.com
847-800-8082 (cell)

"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]
June 9, 2004 6:54:35 PM

Go here and search on the WRT54G. Then look for FAQ No. 358.
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/end...

Dick

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:54:34 -0500, "Paul B." <paul@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hey Everyone,
>
>A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no longer
>needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
>However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
>happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
>possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that I
>could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If anyone
>has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>Paul
>--------------
>Paul Becker
>paul@pbecker.com
>847-800-8082 (cell)
>
>"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 9, 2004 8:05:49 PM

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:54:34 -0500, Paul B. spoketh

>Hey Everyone,
>
>A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no longer
>needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
>However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
>happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
>possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that I
>could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If anyone
>has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>Paul
>--------------
>Paul Becker
>paul@pbecker.com
>847-800-8082 (cell)
>
>"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

Not a problem at all.

You may want to hook one (wired) computer up to it first, just so you
can change the LAN IP address on the WRT and disable the DHCP server.
After than, just connect it to your network, and configure the wireless
part of it using the best practices (has been described here a million
times).

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b F Wireless
June 10, 2004 3:50:52 AM

Thanks! It's working great
"Paul B." <paul@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hey Everyone,
>
> A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no
longer
> needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
> However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
> happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
> possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that
> could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If
anyone
> has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate
it.

> Thanks,
> Paul
> Paul Becker
> paul@pbecker.com
> 847-800-8082 (cell)
>
> "If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

June 10, 2004 10:28:15 AM

I would also like to use my WRT54G as an access point.

Can you tell me how you did this?

!