Using WRT54G as Wireless Acess Point Only?

Hey Everyone,

A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no longer
needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that I
could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If anyone
has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul
--------------
Paul Becker
paul@pbecker.com
847-800-8082 (cell)

"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]
4 answers Last reply
More about using wrt54g wireless acess point only

    Go here and search on the WRT54G. Then look for FAQ No. 358.
    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/entry.php

    Dick

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:54:34 -0500, "Paul B." <paul@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Hey Everyone,
    >
    >A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no longer
    >needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
    >However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
    >happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
    >possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that I
    >could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If anyone
    >has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Paul
    >--------------
    >Paul Becker
    >paul@pbecker.com
    >847-800-8082 (cell)
    >
    >"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:54:34 -0500, Paul B. spoketh

    >Hey Everyone,
    >
    >A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no longer
    >needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
    >However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
    >happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
    >possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that I
    >could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If anyone
    >has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Paul
    >--------------
    >Paul Becker
    >paul@pbecker.com
    >847-800-8082 (cell)
    >
    >"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

    Not a problem at all.

    You may want to hook one (wired) computer up to it first, just so you
    can change the LAN IP address on the WRT and disable the DHCP server.
    After than, just connect it to your network, and configure the wireless
    part of it using the best practices (has been described here a million
    times).

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    Thanks! It's working great
    "Paul B." <paul@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hey Everyone,
    >
    > A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no
    longer
    > needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as home.
    > However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
    > happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
    > possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so that
    > could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If
    anyone
    > has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate
    it.

    > Thanks,
    > Paul
    > --------------
    > Paul Becker
    > paul@pbecker.com
    > 847-800-8082 (cell)
    >
    > "If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

    I would also like to use my WRT54G as an access point.

    Can you tell me how you did this?

    > Thanks! It's working great
    > "Paul B." <paul@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey Everyone,
    > >
    > > A friend of mine gave me a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that he no
    > longer
    > > needs. I would like to add it to my network so I can go wireless as
    home.
    > > However, I already have a sonicwall firewall/router that I am using quit
    > > happily as my DHCP server for my cable modem. I was wondering if it was
    > > possible to add this unit into the network as an access point only so
    that
    > > could go wireless while still using the sonicwall for DHCP ect... If
    > anyone
    > > has any insight into how I can configure the Linksys I would appreciate
    > it.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul
    > > Paul Becker
    > > paul@pbecker.com
    > > 847-800-8082 (cell)
    > >
    > > "If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven I shall not go." [Mark Twain]

Wireless Wireless Router Linksys Wireless Networking