Reinstalling an oem machine

My brother perchased a HP machine a couple of years ago but didn't get an xp
cd or a recovery disk and as such after 2 yrs it is begging for a reinstall.
He has the COA sticker on the side of the machine and I was wondering if it
was possible to use my OEM XP CD to reinstall his machine but use his product
key would product activation be allowed he has only made one hardware change
and that is adding a graphics card? Any help would be great.
2 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling machine

    Desratuk,

    Have your brother press HP to get a CD replacement. Be firm when making the request.

    Your suggested solution is not advised.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Desratuk wrote:
    > My brother perchased a HP machine a couple of years ago but didn't
    > get an xp cd or a recovery disk and as such after 2 yrs it is begging
    > for a reinstall. He has the COA sticker on the side of the machine
    > and I was wondering if it was possible to use my OEM XP CD to
    > reinstall his machine but use his product key would product
    > activation be allowed he has only made one hardware change and that
    > is adding a graphics card? Any help would be great.

    The Product Key (license) affixed to your brother's HP computer will
    only work with the computer manufacturer's recovery CD.

    HP Pavilions that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do
    not come with Recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden
    space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery
    information.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Desratuk" wrote:

    | My brother perchased a HP machine a couple of years ago but didn't get an xp
    | cd or a recovery disk and as such after 2 yrs it is begging for a reinstall.
    | He has the COA sticker on the side of the machine and I was wondering if it
    | was possible to use my OEM XP CD to reinstall his machine but use his product
    | key would product activation be allowed he has only made one hardware change
    | and that is adding a graphics card? Any help would be great.

Windows XP