missing dll file

When I start up my computer I receive the following message:
C:\program1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll
Is this an important file? Any suggestions or solutions?
Tried reinstalling windows xp but the system says I am running a newer
version and won't let me install.--
SM
4 answers Last reply
More about missing file

    NewDotnet is malware. Download, install, update and run all of the
    following.

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

    Spybot search and destroy
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

    Ewido Security Suite Trial version

    WinsockFix
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
    I can analyze it. Ignore anyone especially the troll Leythos, who will tag
    along a nonsense post to this message, who tells you to post it elsewhere. I
    need to see it not them.

    HijackThis

    The authors of the above programs, with the exception of Microsoft has given
    the owner of pcbutts1.com express written permission to redistribute their
    software.

    "Syl M" <SylM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start up my computer I receive the following message:
    > C:\program1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll
    > Is this an important file? Any suggestions or solutions?
    > Tried reinstalling windows xp but the system says I am running a newer
    > version and won't let me install.--
    > SM

    ***
    NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the
    developer, manufacturer or some entity that you trust. They ALWAYS will
    have the most up to date files. You also KNOW they haven't been tampered
    with by some third party who is "hosting" those files without permission.
    ***

    "Syl M" <SylM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start up my computer I receive the following message:
    > C:\program1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll
    > Is this an important file? Any suggestions or solutions?
    > Tried reinstalling windows xp but the system says I am running a newer
    > version and won't let me install.--
    > SM

    Make up your own mind. It in not a system file and allows access to web addresses that are not official ones.

    http://www.newdotnet.com/

    "Syl M" <SylM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEA78409-0692-4D0D-9A75-5E9536F7403F@microsoft.com...
    > When I start up my computer I receive the following message:
    > C:\program1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll
    > Is this an important file? Any suggestions or solutions?
    > Tried reinstalling windows xp but the system says I am running a newer
    > version and won't let me install.--
    > SM

    Hi

    The program that is looking for this file isn ot a default Windows file,
    if you have installed this program yourself, try reinstalling it, if you
    have not installed this program look under add remove program in controll
    panell if you are able to remove it there.

    Do you have any anti virus program that may of removed this file, if so
    check you quarintine folder, maybe youcan try to restore the file and clean
    the virus.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Make up your own mind. It in not a system file and allows access to web addresses that are not official ones.
    >
    > http://www.newdotnet.com/

    > "Syl M" <SylM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AEA78409-0692-4D0D-9A75-5E9536F7403F@microsoft.com...
    > > When I start up my computer I receive the following message:
    > > C:\program1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll
    > > Is this an important file? Any suggestions or solutions?
    > > Tried reinstalling windows xp but the system says I am running a newer
    > > version and won't let me install.--
    > > SM

Windows XP