Very newbie - wireless and PDAs

Can anyone direct me to a good website explaining the absolute basics of
using the wireless connectivity of a PDA (in my case an Ipaq 4150) to
receive EMail and Internet ? I'm not even clear whether I need to have a
mobile phone to achieve this, (the PDA has bluetooth as well), or whether
there is some simple way I can connect to my ISP directly just using the
wireless connection - perhaps in a 'hot spot'. All non-techy guidance
welcome..
2 answers Last reply
More about very newbie wireless pdas

    If you get a little something called a 'Bluetooth Dongle' you can plug it
    into your USB port, install the software and then if you connect your
    laptop/PC to the internet via your ISP you can just create a network on the
    PDA to allow it to communicate with your PC wirelessly. You can then browse
    the internet wirelessly on your PDA up to 100 metres away (Depending what
    range dongle you buy) It's that simple.

    Check out www.ebuyer.com for some good deals on Bluetooth Dongles.

    Hope this helps,

    Cass

    "ROBERT ROBERTS" <r.j.roberts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone direct me to a good website explaining the absolute basics of
    > using the wireless connectivity of a PDA (in my case an Ipaq 4150) to
    > receive EMail and Internet ? I'm not even clear whether I need to have a
    > mobile phone to achieve this, (the PDA has bluetooth as well), or whether
    > there is some simple way I can connect to my ISP directly just using the
    > wireless connection - perhaps in a 'hot spot'. All non-techy guidance
    > welcome..

    I think your PDA is like my 4350, in that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
    capabilities are built in. If so, it will connect to most WI-Fi networks
    pretty much automatically assuming that 1)You have Wi-Fi turned out (one
    menu click) 2) That the network is running DHCP (most are; otherwise you
    have to assign an IP address, which is beyond a "simple answer") and 3) You
    have whatever key is needed to access the network if it is secured (WEP, for
    example; if a key is needed, the device will prompt you for it). Beyond
    this, I don't know of a way of explaining the operation without using
    "technical terms". I would suggest that you read the manual.

    HTH.
    --
    Bob Horton

    "Cassandra Flowers" <ebay.esales@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > If you get a little something called a 'Bluetooth Dongle' you can plug it
    > into your USB port, install the software and then if you connect your
    > laptop/PC to the internet via your ISP you can just create a network on
    the
    > PDA to allow it to communicate with your PC wirelessly. You can then
    browse
    > the internet wirelessly on your PDA up to 100 metres away (Depending what
    > range dongle you buy) It's that simple.
    >
    > Check out www.ebuyer.com for some good deals on Bluetooth Dongles.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Cass
    >
    > "ROBERT ROBERTS" <r.j.roberts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone direct me to a good website explaining the absolute basics of
    > > using the wireless connectivity of a PDA (in my case an Ipaq 4150) to
    > > receive EMail and Internet ? I'm not even clear whether I need to have
    > > mobile phone to achieve this, (the PDA has bluetooth as well), or
    whether
    > > there is some simple way I can connect to my ISP directly just using the
    > > wireless connection - perhaps in a 'hot spot'. All non-techy guidance
    > > welcome..

Wireless Internet Service Providers Internet Wireless Networking