Very newbie - wireless and PDAs

Can anyone direct me to a good website explaining the absolute basics of
using the wireless connectivity of a PDA (in my case an Ipaq 4150) to
receive EMail and Internet ? I'm not even clear whether I need to have a
mobile phone to achieve this, (the PDA has bluetooth as well), or whether
there is some simple way I can connect to my ISP directly just using the
wireless connection - perhaps in a 'hot spot'. All non-techy guidance
welcome..

If you get a little something called a 'Bluetooth Dongle' you can plug it
into your USB port, install the software and then if you connect your
laptop/PC to the internet via your ISP you can just create a network on the
PDA to allow it to communicate with your PC wirelessly. You can then browse
the internet wirelessly on your PDA up to 100 metres away (Depending what
range dongle you buy) It's that simple.

Check out www.ebuyer.com for some good deals on Bluetooth Dongles.

Hope this helps,

Cass

"ROBERT ROBERTS" <r.j.roberts@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone direct me to a good website explaining the absolute basics of
> using the wireless connectivity of a PDA (in my case an Ipaq 4150) to
> receive EMail and Internet ? I'm not even clear whether I need to have a
> mobile phone to achieve this, (the PDA has bluetooth as well), or whether
> there is some simple way I can connect to my ISP directly just using the
> wireless connection - perhaps in a 'hot spot'. All non-techy guidance
> welcome..

I think your PDA is like my 4350, in that the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
capabilities are built in. If so, it will connect to most WI-Fi networks
pretty much automatically assuming that 1)You have Wi-Fi turned out (one
menu click) 2) That the network is running DHCP (most are; otherwise you
have to assign an IP address, which is beyond a "simple answer") and 3) You
have whatever key is needed to access the network if it is secured (WEP, for
example; if a key is needed, the device will prompt you for it). Beyond
this, I don't know of a way of explaining the operation without using
"technical terms". I would suggest that you read the manual.

HTH.
--
Bob Horton