Sign in with
Your question

No Direct3D Acceleration on Radeon

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2002 6:04:11 AM

After moving to DirectX 8.1, I am no longer able to have Direct3d acceleration on my Radeon 32 DDR. I moved a while ago, but I first noticed this problem while trying to run 3d Mark 2001 SE. Since then I've noticed it in every D3D application I have. I have tried 6014's, 6025's, Omega 1118's, and Omega 1132's (which I am currently using). I also checked in dxdiag under the video tab to see if I could test the Direct3d acceleration, but low and behold it reports it as Not Available. None of these fix the problem but my setup is otherwise perfect. I have a feeling that someone has found a fix but I could find it already on the boards for the life of me. Thanks to anyone who can help.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.
April 7, 2002 4:58:48 PM

have you reinstalled directx ?? I assume you did but if I don't ask someone else will :smile: perhaps you could uninstall dx and reinstall there are free utilities that allow this without having to reformat the drive

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
April 8, 2002 3:52:23 AM

doing that tonight, havent had the time up until now. the 3 things I am thining that could be causing it are (in order of suspicion) DX 8.1, Radeon drivers, Via 4in1s. gonna try a fix in that order.

The holder of <i>this</i> pass is <b>exempt</b> from all forms of <font color=red>flaming</font color=red>.
Related resources
April 8, 2002 3:52:25 AM

doing that tonight, havent had the time up until now. the 3 things I am thining that could be causing it are (in order of suspicion) DX 8.1, Radeon drivers, Via 4in1s. gonna try a fix in that order.

April 8, 2002 3:52:47 AM

oops, double post

April 8, 2002 5:46:44 AM

Ok, now there is some <i>good</i> news and some <i>bad</i> news. The good news is I fixed my problem. The bad news is, it was becasue my display drivers were not digitally signed by Microsoft. This begs the question of whether Microcrap will begin witholding DX support for drivers they dont specifically approve of? Is this the end of beta, and 3rd party optimized drivers? Anyone know of a workaround?

April 8, 2002 10:08:48 AM

glad you got it fixed. I never heard of unsigned drivers being a problem it only means M$ hasn't tested and approved them with a WHQL label .. I am using a radeon 8500 with the 9023 drivers for win 98 se and have no issues with them at all .. you may just have had a corrupt installation

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
April 8, 2002 12:33:47 PM

Good news and bad news :wink: :
-The good news is don't worry too much about the drivers not being digitaly signed - they work despite the warning;

-The bad news is that the not being digitally signed isn't the root of the problem.

The issue is not so much of DX not supporting drivers, but the other way around...But if it is solved, all the better.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise
April 8, 2002 8:33:20 PM

For the record, how did you fix the problem?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
April 9, 2002 5:43:49 AM

I uninstalled my Omega optimized drivers and installed the ATi 6037's off their website.

!