Questions re my new used xps-r 800

I recently acquired a dell xps T800r loaded with win98SE.

No docs (got this almost free).

Can anyone help with a few questions:

a) no label on power supply that is visible except the ink
Foxconn QC 08-b. Anyone know the wattage of this so I don't have
to remove it to see if the remaining side has a label?

b) any place I can get manual for this machine. Dell uses
javascript, which I don't, so if I do use it can I d/l this from
dell?

c) which bios upgrade is best for this machine? from my reading
drives over 127GB are not supported by any bios upgrade.

machine has one open pci slot. rest are taken by network card,
video, modem & sound.

for maximum data portability and transferability as well as easy
backups would it be better to:

a) add a usb 2.0 port-will the card, generally speaking,require
install win98 disks, which I presently do not have.

b) after researching the dell site it appears the upper limit on
hds is 127GB. Instead of a, would it be better to ad a controller
card to extend that limit and install hard drive caddys for easy
swapping of hard drives?

a seems to offer alot for newer machines, but will mean I can only
use with usb machines.

b would seem to offer more interchange possiblities but means that
any new computer the case would have to come off first. I'm going
to be doing some travelling so may be using internet cafes; that's
one consideration. Actually, not sure I'd want to hook up any
drive to a net cafe machine, so maybe I should consider dvd-rw for
data transferability, except that the cd-rw I use are so flaky, I
can't imagine the dvds would be any better.

also a, I have read, is problematical with many data backup
programs that have not fully developed their usb capabilities.
which option is cheaper/easier a or b?

Sorry if this post is somewhat disorganized, I pooped right now.
thanks for any helpful ideas.
5 answers Last reply
More about questions

    "Ed Norton" <Ed.Norton.fictitious@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I recently acquired a dell xps T800r loaded with win98SE.
    >
    > No docs (got this almost free).
    >
    > Can anyone help with a few questions:
    >
    > a) no label on power supply that is visible except the ink
    > Foxconn QC 08-b. Anyone know the wattage of this so I don't
    > have
    > to remove it to see if the remaining side has a label?
    >
    > b) any place I can get manual for this machine. Dell uses
    > javascript, which I don't, so if I do use it can I d/l this
    > from
    > dell?
    >
    > c) which bios upgrade is best for this machine? from my reading
    > drives over 127GB are not supported by any bios upgrade.
    >
    > machine has one open pci slot. rest are taken by network card,
    > video, modem & sound.
    >
    > for maximum data portability and transferability as well as
    > easy
    > backups would it be better to:
    >
    > a) add a usb 2.0 port-will the card, generally speaking,require
    > install win98 disks, which I presently do not have.
    >
    > b) after researching the dell site it appears the upper limit
    > on
    > hds is 127GB. Instead of a, would it be better to ad a
    > controller
    > card to extend that limit and install hard drive caddys for
    > easy
    > swapping of hard drives?
    >
    > a seems to offer alot for newer machines, but will mean I can
    > only
    > use with usb machines.
    >
    > b would seem to offer more interchange possiblities but means
    > that
    > any new computer the case would have to come off first. I'm
    > going
    > to be doing some travelling so may be using internet cafes;
    > that's
    > one consideration. Actually, not sure I'd want to hook up any
    > drive to a net cafe machine, so maybe I should consider dvd-rw
    > for
    > data transferability, except that the cd-rw I use are so flaky,
    > can't imagine the dvds would be any better.
    >
    > also a, I have read, is problematical with many data backup
    > programs that have not fully developed their usb capabilities.
    > which option is cheaper/easier a or b?
    >
    > Sorry if this post is somewhat disorganized, I pooped right
    > now.
    > thanks for any helpful ideas.

    Dell docs available here;
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/
    Downloads are here; Get A13 BIOS if you have earlier.
    http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_PII_XPS_R___&os=W98&osl=EN

    USB cards come with drivers usually for older systems. I'm unable
    to decipher the rest of your post. But I doubt a BIOS update will
    allow
    127 GB drives. This is a very old machine, get card for the
    drive.

    a) The power supply in a Dimension XPS800R is rated at 200w. Although the power
    connector LOOKS like a standard ATX connector, it is NOT. I would not consider
    changing out the power supply for one of higher wattage.

    b) Dell has very respectable documentation for the computer on its web site. It
    might be a good idea to add Sun's Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to your system,
    to access the Dell web site and thousands of other web sites now built around
    Java.

    c) Upgrade the BIOS to the latest one available from Dell, but the BIOS is
    limited to a 127GB max, like most computers of its time. An add-in hard drive
    controller will raise this limit, should you decide to get a very large hard
    drive.

    d) USB 2.0 support for Windows 98 comes along with most of the decent USB cards.
    Don't buy one unless it does have USB 2.0 drivers for Windows 98.

    e) CD-RW technology has stabilized a great deal in the last couple of years. If
    you use a modern CD-RW drive (Sony, Liteon, Hitachi/Goldstar, Plextor are
    reliable brands) and decent CD burning software (CDBurnerXPPro is a fine FREE
    CD-burning package), most any generic CD-R write-once media will work just fine.
    I do not have great faith in CD-RW write-many media. DVD-RW technology is just
    about where CD-RW was two or three years ago. To label DVD-RW as flaky is not
    unreasonable.

    f) Your XPS800R has a free drive bay that could handle hard drive caddies, but
    that would limit you to using the hard drives on only your own computer. USB
    hard drives are now much more common and easy to use, so if data interchange
    with other computers is a major consideration, USB is the way to go. Or, just
    burn CDs... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:20:36 +0000 (UTC), Ed Norton
    <Ed.Norton.fictitious@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I recently acquired a dell xps T800r loaded with win98SE.
    >
    >No docs (got this almost free).
    >
    >Can anyone help with a few questions:
    >
    >a) no label on power supply that is visible except the ink
    >Foxconn QC 08-b. Anyone know the wattage of this so I don't have
    >to remove it to see if the remaining side has a label?
    >
    >b) any place I can get manual for this machine. Dell uses
    >javascript, which I don't, so if I do use it can I d/l this from
    >dell?
    >
    >c) which bios upgrade is best for this machine? from my reading
    >drives over 127GB are not supported by any bios upgrade.
    >
    >machine has one open pci slot. rest are taken by network card,
    >video, modem & sound.
    >
    >for maximum data portability and transferability as well as easy
    >backups would it be better to:
    >
    >a) add a usb 2.0 port-will the card, generally speaking,require
    >install win98 disks, which I presently do not have.
    >
    >b) after researching the dell site it appears the upper limit on
    >hds is 127GB. Instead of a, would it be better to ad a controller
    >card to extend that limit and install hard drive caddys for easy
    >swapping of hard drives?
    >
    >a seems to offer alot for newer machines, but will mean I can only
    >use with usb machines.
    >
    >b would seem to offer more interchange possiblities but means that
    >any new computer the case would have to come off first. I'm going
    >to be doing some travelling so may be using internet cafes; that's
    >one consideration. Actually, not sure I'd want to hook up any
    >drive to a net cafe machine, so maybe I should consider dvd-rw for
    >data transferability, except that the cd-rw I use are so flaky, I
    >can't imagine the dvds would be any better.
    >
    >also a, I have read, is problematical with many data backup
    >programs that have not fully developed their usb capabilities.
    >which option is cheaper/easier a or b?
    >
    >Sorry if this post is somewhat disorganized, I pooped right now.
    >thanks for any helpful ideas.

    Thanks very much for your good reply and to Pen as well.
    see below...

    on 15 Jul 2005, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)
    wrote in news:42d7bfab.4144481@nntp.charter.net:

    > a) The power supply in a Dimension XPS800R is rated at 200w.
    > Although the power connector LOOKS like a standard ATX
    > connector, it is NOT. I would not consider changing out the
    > power supply for one of higher wattage.
    >
    > b) Dell has very respectable documentation for the computer on
    > its web site. It might be a good idea to add Sun's Java Runtime
    > Environment (JRE) to your system, to access the Dell web site
    > and thousands of other web sites now built around Java.

    Temporarily stuck with weak laptop now-cannot use javascript; I
    have privacy concerns with javascript (or is it java,always mix
    those up).

    > c) Upgrade the BIOS to the latest one available from Dell, but
    > the BIOS is limited to a 127GB max, like most computers of its
    > time. An add-in hard drive controller will raise this limit,
    > should you decide to get a very large hard drive.
    >
    > d) USB 2.0 support for Windows 98 comes along with most of the
    > decent USB cards. Don't buy one unless it does have USB 2.0
    > drivers for Windows 98.

    So, if I have the drivers, I won't need the win98 install disks to
    install it right?

    > e) CD-RW technology has stabilized a great deal in the last
    > couple of years. If you use a modern CD-RW drive (Sony, Liteon,
    > Hitachi/Goldstar, Plextor are reliable brands) and decent CD
    > burning software (CDBurnerXPPro is a fine FREE CD-burning
    > package), most any generic CD-R write-once media will work just
    > fine. I do not have great faith in CD-RW write-many media.
    > DVD-RW technology is just about where CD-RW was two or three
    > years ago. To label DVD-RW as flaky is not unreasonable.

    Well, it's not only the media, it's the lousy backup software,
    alot of it. Went to Ghost, but have not had chance to test it yet.
    Thanks for the suggestions on the software.

    > f) Your XPS800R has a free drive bay that could handle hard
    > drive caddies, but that would limit you to using the hard drives
    > on only your own computer. USB hard drives are now much more
    > common and easy to use, so if data interchange with other
    > computers is a major consideration, USB is the way to go. Or,
    > just burn CDs... Ben Myers

    I think also the 5 inch drive bays on dell are non-standard in
    some way-read a report about problems with one brand of caddy.

    One thing I guess I should ask is that since I have only one pci
    slot open that makes it a situation where I have to choose between
    either another IDE controller card (160GB drives are selling
    cheaper than smaller drivers where I'm at) or a USB 2.0 upgrade
    card, correct? There is nothing that will allow me to do both-use
    a usb 2.0 external drive AND the larger drives? Nothing short of
    replacing the MB that is?

    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:20:36 +0000 (UTC), Ed Norton
    > <Ed.Norton.fictitious@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I recently acquired a dell xps T800r loaded with win98SE.
    >>
    >>No docs (got this almost free).
    >>
    >>Can anyone help with a few questions:
    >>
    >>a) no label on power supply that is visible except the ink
    >>Foxconn QC 08-b. Anyone know the wattage of this so I don't have
    >>to remove it to see if the remaining side has a label?
    >>
    >>b) any place I can get manual for this machine. Dell uses
    >>javascript, which I don't, so if I do use it can I d/l this from
    >>dell?
    >>
    >>c) which bios upgrade is best for this machine? from my reading
    >>drives over 127GB are not supported by any bios upgrade.
    >>
    >>machine has one open pci slot. rest are taken by network card,
    >>video, modem & sound.
    >>
    >>for maximum data portability and transferability as well as easy
    >>backups would it be better to:
    >>
    >>a) add a usb 2.0 port-will the card, generally speaking,require
    >>install win98 disks, which I presently do not have.
    >>
    >>b) after researching the dell site it appears the upper limit on
    >>hds is 127GB. Instead of a, would it be better to ad a
    >>controller card to extend that limit and install hard drive
    >>caddys for easy swapping of hard drives?
    >>
    >>a seems to offer alot for newer machines, but will mean I can
    >>only use with usb machines.
    >>
    >>b would seem to offer more interchange possiblities but means
    >>that any new computer the case would have to come off first. I'm
    >>going to be doing some travelling so may be using internet
    >>cafes; that's one consideration. Actually, not sure I'd want to
    >>hook up any drive to a net cafe machine, so maybe I should
    >>consider dvd-rw for data transferability, except that the cd-rw
    >>I use are so flaky, I can't imagine the dvds would be any
    >>better.
    >>
    >>also a, I have read, is problematical with many data backup
    >>programs that have not fully developed their usb capabilities.
    >>which option is cheaper/easier a or b?
    >>
    >>Sorry if this post is somewhat disorganized, I pooped right now.
    >>thanks for any helpful ideas.

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:41:02 +0000 (UTC), Ed Norton
    <Ed.Norton.fictitious@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thanks very much for your good reply and to Pen as well.
    >see below...
    >
    >Temporarily stuck with weak laptop now-cannot use javascript; I
    >have privacy concerns with javascript (or is it java,always mix
    >those up).

    Java and Javascript are surely more secure than Microsoft ActiveX controls and
    Microsoft's .NET. If you want to be more secure with a browser, do not use
    Internet Explorer. Use Firefox instead.

    >> d) USB 2.0 support for Windows 98 comes along with most of the
    >> decent USB cards. Don't buy one unless it does have USB 2.0
    >> drivers for Windows 98.
    >
    >So, if I have the drivers, I won't need the win98 install disks to
    >install it right?

    Win 98 is a little bit hokey still. Not as bad as Win 95, but there's no
    telling when it will ask you for a Windows 98 CD.

    >Well, it's not only the media, it's the lousy backup software,
    >alot of it. Went to Ghost, but have not had chance to test it yet.
    >Thanks for the suggestions on the software.

    Ghost may not be the software of choice for backing up onto CDs.

    >I think also the 5 inch drive bays on dell are non-standard in
    >some way-read a report about problems with one brand of caddy.

    Nope. They are fairly standard, but I forget whether or not you need special
    mounting brackets. A lot of Dells require them.

    >One thing I guess I should ask is that since I have only one pci
    >slot open that makes it a situation where I have to choose between
    >either another IDE controller card (160GB drives are selling
    >cheaper than smaller drivers where I'm at) or a USB 2.0 upgrade
    >card, correct? There is nothing that will allow me to do both-use
    >a usb 2.0 external drive AND the larger drives? Nothing short of
    >replacing the MB that is?

    Right. And replacing the motherboard (probably with one that has more built-ins
    such as audio, network) becomes problematic if the replacement is not a Dell.
    Or even if it is a newer Dell board. Both the power supply and the wire leads
    to the front panel connectors need to be taken into account and possibly changed
    or modified... Ben Myers

    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:41:02 +0000 (UTC), Ed Norton
    > <Ed.Norton.fictitious@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks very much for your good reply and to Pen as well.
    >>see below...
    >>
    >>Temporarily stuck with weak laptop now-cannot use javascript; I
    >>have privacy concerns with javascript (or is it java,always mix
    >>those up).
    >
    > Java and Javascript are surely more secure than Microsoft ActiveX
    > controls and Microsoft's .NET. If you want to be more secure with a
    > browser, do not use Internet Explorer. Use Firefox instead.

    I never use IE unless I'm at someone public machine, haha. I wish I
    could find a browser that did javascript and could be run easily on
    older machines and did not crash on lousy web pages.

    >>> d) USB 2.0 support for Windows 98 comes along with most of the
    >>> decent USB cards. Don't buy one unless it does have USB 2.0
    >>> drivers for Windows 98.
    >>
    >>So, if I have the drivers, I won't need the win98 install disks to
    >>install it right?
    >
    > Win 98 is a little bit hokey still. Not as bad as Win 95, but there's
    > no telling when it will ask you for a Windows 98 CD.

    Yeah, better find a win98 cd rom.

    >>Well, it's not only the media, it's the lousy backup software,
    >>alot of it. Went to Ghost, but have not had chance to test it yet.
    >>Thanks for the suggestions on the software.
    >
    > Ghost may not be the software of choice for backing up onto CDs.

    I looked at all of them and finally settled on Ghost. It gave me the
    fewest problems, once I learned how to use it. Symantec's disinformation
    is not helpful. Seems to work ok as far as imaging goes and I can access
    and restore individual files with their Ghost Explorer.

    >>I think also the 5 inch drive bays on dell are non-standard in
    >>some way-read a report about problems with one brand of caddy.
    >
    > Nope. They are fairly standard, but I forget whether or not you need
    > special mounting brackets. A lot of Dells require them.

    Yeah, that is one reason I hate to deal with mail order. At least if I
    buy at a store, I can return it easily.

    >>One thing I guess I should ask is that since I have only one pci
    >>slot open that makes it a situation where I have to choose between
    >>either another IDE controller card (160GB drives are selling
    >>cheaper than smaller drivers where I'm at) or a USB 2.0 upgrade
    >>card, correct? There is nothing that will allow me to do both-use
    >>a usb 2.0 external drive AND the larger drives? Nothing short of
    >>replacing the MB that is?
    >
    > Right. And replacing the motherboard (probably with one that has more
    > built-ins such as audio, network) becomes problematic if the
    > replacement is not a Dell. Or even if it is a newer Dell board. Both
    > the power supply and the wire leads to the front panel connectors need
    > to be taken into account and possibly changed or modified... Ben Myers

    If I remember correctly the video card is takig up a pci slot (could be
    wrong) and there is an open AGP slot and an open ISA slot. I thought
    maybe there was some kind of PCI card that gave you two for one, haha.
    They seem to make everything else. The problem with the USB external
    drives is that you cannot, I think, hook them up like a regular drive to
    the IDE socket, so cannot be used on any machine that does not have a
    USB functional port and the 1.0 standard is too slow. Maybe they make a
    USB to IDE adapter. I did see something about a USB to serial port
    adapter.

    I have an AMD Duron Clone that has a much better case, alot more open
    PCI slots, much easier to work on. Maybe I upgrade that instead. Seems
    slower than the Dell though, at least as far a boot up goes and I don't
    even have an os on it yet. Paid next to nothing for these machines, so
    not gonna buy very much for them. Who knows with a used machine also if
    something else will break soon.

Dell Computers