GeForce4Go review - comments?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Time for the Airing of Grievances. Next up, the Feats of Strength!

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Huh? What? Games on a laptop? Sounds kinky... I'm gonna go laugh till i cry now... Any self respectable gamer (the only people interested in this) would simply haul their pc around with them and set it up at night in their hotel. :)

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

FatBurger

Illustrious
There's potential, but with the cost of a laptop (along with the cost of your desktop) it's simply not worth it.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i still like mobility radeon 7500 better than the gf4go...that is all..

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
What about people that need the ability to work anywhere. I'm thinking about getting a laptop for work (and maybe getting one that can handle some gaming/DVD/music on the side :smile: ).

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
the 7500 and the GF4MX cards are about the same on the desktop end, and they appear to be about the same on the laptop end.

Looks like the 7500 has better power usage though.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Laptops are also good for those with limited deskspace. Great for College kids too, as they can take them to class and take notes on them (Some colleges are giving out laptops at the school for school use)

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
For some reason I highly doubt any university is just going to give out Dell Latitude 840's.....but hey, for college kids yea...it is a good idea, you got me there. A nice Geforce 4 Go machine would cost more than a nice Geforce 4 or Radeon 8500 desktop though, so for the average gamer, the space savings and even the weight savings just isnt worth the condenced experience....sides...try putting an audigy in a laptop and overclocking it...laptops are for work and study. Desktops are for gaming and serious power users.

Edit: i know, i'm biased, and i'm completely in love with my new case i built-)

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 04/09/02 12:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
try putting an audigy in a laptop and overclocking it
Check <A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/video/02q2/020405/index.html" target="_new">this</A> out. As for overclocking an audigy, why? :wink:

Not everyone, or even a large minority, overclocks their systems. It is a different user for a laptop, but having owned one and having one from work as well as seeing my father use one, I know they have many uses. They'll do just fine in any but the highest end games (Aquanox, Comanche 4, MOH, ect), but they'll hit most of the mainstreme games and do them justice (Q3, Diablo II, EA Sports games, ect). So, it depends on what games you play.

Personaly, I'm not a big 3D shooter/perspective gamer. I enjoy sports and RPG games, and some of the space combat games (Mostly Wing Commander, hope a new one comes out soon). Any laptop with the 7500M or the GF4GO would work for my gaming needs.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Okay, i wote a bad sentence. The "it" in the line where i was talking about Audigy referred to the processor.

You gotta realize, i'm looking at this from two completely opposing viewpoints and i'm just not seeing a very big middle ground, takes all kinds of people though. My first viewpoint is that of a rather hardcore gamer, i do consider myself to be one and I can tell you I would NEVER play a game on a laptop unless i had aboslutely no other choice. The first problem you run into is lack of resolution scaling on my laptop displays and the fact that very few laptops are made with high visibility screens yet. The second problem is its going to be extremely difficult in most situations to hook up a nice sound system. There is the Extigy but then your already getting so much stuff you're losing the benefits of a laptop. The 3rd problem is lack of expansion slots. You can only put so much equipment into a laptop. No multiple hard disks unless you give up a battery or a media drive and there's no having two built digital media drives either, say one for burning and the other for reading. The fourth problem is you cannot mod it like a desktop which most hardcore gamers, in my experience, love to do. So, in conclusion of that viewpoint, i dont think any laptop is yet made that can fill the computer slot for a hardcore gamer.

My other viewpoint is the corperate one. I work in a lare IT department for a medium sized company..sorry i'd rather no go into details here. Three of the biggest problems we have arise from these "uber laptops". The first one is the greener grass problem. If one person gets one everyone wants one and they gripe and complain in their own stuck up ways until they get it too. Trust me, you cannot stop this in a corperate environment, office politics are everywhere. Second is the cost, its much more cost effective to equip average non-power users with inexpensive Latitude C610's which do everything 90% of the users need with no problem at all. Third is the renegade user problem, when you give someone a laptop with 512 megs of ram a 40 gig HD. A 15" xTFTlcd and a Geforce 4go...they are gonna play games on it when they're not supposed to. You can't go around installing games and fun software on corporate computers.

This leaves a very very small market base for the Latitude C840's with the Geforce 4 Go cards. The people who are going to buy it are end user comsumers with lots of spare cash who need an all purpose compact traveling PC. And believe me, a C840 isnt all that compact, and its heavy too. The other people who buy it are going to be large corperations but only for special power users like engineers who run power hungry engineering and graphics applications.

End of my rant on power laptops. Bottom line, They'll probably sell just enough to not lose money on the C840 assembly lines, the fact that your Dell PC's are now assembled in Taiwan helps keep the cost down. Who'da known? A little Texas company named Dell now assembles their PC's in Taiwan and doesnt bother telling anyone they're no longer an all American company.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
You're mostly right about the hard core gamer angle. Not much you can do about the sound, but the desktop replacement laptops that I've been looking at are all UXGA 1600x1200. Dell even has an enhanced UXGA with improved contrast. You can have a DVD/CD drive and a CDR/RW drive using a laptop, if you want to lug around a 10+lb machine. I'd stick with 1 combo drive and be happy.

As far as the corporate laptops are concerned, I never ran into the "I want one too" problem but I worked in a small company. As far as controlling the software installed, don't give them admin privileges (works on at least on Win2000) on the laptop. Users can run apps, save files, etc., they just can't install anything without a sys admin. No games, IM, photos, MP3s. :frown:

G

I actually own one of these. It runs Comanche 4 and
Max Payne with almost all of the settings on max and
looks great. Get your facts straight before talking
as if this were written in stone!
The Enhanced UXGA (or whatever Dell calls it this week)
is much closer to a desktop LCD than to any laptop
screen I've ever seen.
As for sound, it plugs into your stereo. I don't know
if it does digital surround for games (it does for DVDs),
but I haven't seen a compelling reason to bother.
I can play the same games as everyone else except I can do
it where I want like sitting on the couch or stuck in
an airport for 12 hours.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
"To a Desktop LCD"

Ok, you wanna kill me twice laughing? hehe i think i know what your trying to say but i oh so seriously disagree, the ONLY screen i've seen from Dell that comes anywhere near CRT quality is the one they put on their L400's and C400's. And those buggers only have 4 meg ATI cards cause the laptop is an itty bitty thing (executive model). The L400 is the one i actually use at work. The C600,610,800,810,840 and M40 dont come anywhere near desktop quality and thats why the guys that get them for high powered applications still get Two 18" Flat Panel Displays. They're good enough to play on, yes, but not good enough in my opinion to enjoy gaming on all the time. I'm gonna have a flame out if this comes up again, i handle high end laptops all day everyday and they just dont compare to the crt i'm looking at now for games(or movies) and the engineers still prefer precision workstations with Dual Xeons and Quadro cards so i still dont see more than little tiny niche market for Go Cards unless you feel like you just HAVE to mount a laptop lcd on the side of your Desktop with a seperate graphics display to make your pc more portable. Wait a damn minute, that might work... I think i'm gonna try this.

Later, and sto dredging up 10 day old articles, yer supposed to spend 5 hours a day on the boards so you dont get behind-P

edit: Commanche 4 is not a game, its a graphics demo, and a poor one at that, bad bad bad graphics programming. ripping tearing huge seams etc etc...and who knew water was solid.