ATI RADEON IMAGE QUALITY VS GEFORCE 4 IMAGE QUALIT

G

Hello I just have a question for you. I have a Radeon DDR 64 and I am going to upgrade it. The main reason is because I can't play 3d games on it I get these vertical lines that run across the entire screen and freezes the computer. I liked the Radeon because of the quality of images on my monitor. I am an occcasional gamer, I watch movies and tv on it. i have read articles that said that the picture and image quality of a Radeon is better then that of a GEFORCE 2 and GEFORCE 3. My question is if the GEFORCE 4 have improved on the quality of their graphics? If I get a G4 ti4200 would the quality of the images and details of games and pictures match or be better or worse then my Radeon? Do you think that I should go for the GEFORCE4 or should I take the chance and get the Radeon 8500 and hope that I don't get the same compatibility problems that I get with myRADEON Dr 64?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't answer your question about R8500 vs. GF4, but I can tell you that my new R8500 easily beats my old GF2MX400 in 2D, color quality, and DVD playback. The DVD playback especially is a BIG difference.

I'd like an answer to this too. I've heard that Nvidia made big strides in image quality and DVD playback with the GF4, but I haven't seen any confirmation of this.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I think 2D and 3D quality is as good as Radeons now with the GF4 but I don't think the DVD playback looks as good.

I have no first hand experience with both so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think the GF3 were alot worse than the 8500 but from what everyone says the GF4 gives you enough IQ to not worry about wanting a 8500..
I'd get a GF4 over a 8500.

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
R8500 is superior, feature-wise and is about the same performance as the Ti4200 in everything except in FSAA, but is significantly faster in Anisotropic filtering. I'd personally go with an R8500 over a Ti4200 but some people don't like ATI's history of bad drivers. As a long time ATI and nVidia and 3dfx (RIP) user, I can tell you the R8500's drivers are now top notch. Currently, for WinXP I personally find the 6043 rev. 2 drivers to be the most stable and the best performing. For WinMe, get the 9021 drivers (I haven't tried the 9023 drivers, so I can't comment on them). For Win2K, I recommend the 6043 drivers until better drivers are released/leaked (within a week or two at the most).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Well if I was to get the Radeon 8500 what are the chances of incompatibility which I got with the Radeon 64DDR? The motherboard I use is the Iwill KKR266? The only reason I am changing video cards is because I get the vertical liness when playing games and occasionally on the internet.
I liked my Radeon 64DDR and would not mind the 8500 but I don't want to run the risk of incompatibility.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
you may not have to upgrade if the only reason was those strange lines. have you tried to update the drivers for you card? i think that you motherboard is the via chipset, have you updated those drivers too? are you getting those lines while running opengl or direct 3d? which version of directx do you have, try updating that too.

one thing that i found was that trying to buy a whole new piece of hardware to fix a software problem just wastes money because you have the same, or worse, poblems with the new hardware.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!