VBDOS program doesn't print from DOS window in XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
just hangs the DOS window.

The internal code is like
OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
PRINT #1, etc.

It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
related?

It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
well in XP otherwise.)

What could be the problem?

Help will be appreciated.
12 answers Last reply
More about vbdos program doesn print window
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Stan Hilliard" <usenetreplyMS@samplingplansNOTSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
    > One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
    > just hangs the DOS window.
    >
    > The internal code is like
    > OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
    > PRINT #1, etc.
    >
    > It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
    > related?
    >
    > It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
    > well in XP otherwise.)
    >
    > What could be the problem?
    >
    > Help will be appreciated.

    Is it a networked printer?... or maybe a USB printer? According to "Dir
    Help", you can use the following command to send a directory listing to a
    printer....

    dir > prn

    All printers connected here are networked. That command just causes the dos
    window to sit and spin since there's nothing connected to LPT1. It doesn't
    cause it to hang though.... depending on what your definition of "hangs the
    DOS window" is, I suppose <g>

    So.... you might try asking that customer to open a dos window and type the
    Dir > PRN command to see if anything shows up on the printer.

    --
    Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - http://www.vbsight.com
    DLL Hell problems? Try ComGuard - http://www.vbsight.com/ComGuard.htm

    "Stan Hilliard" <usenetreplyMS@samplingplansNOTSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
    > One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
    > just hangs the DOS window.
    >
    > The internal code is like
    > OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
    > PRINT #1, etc.
    >
    > It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
    > related?
    >
    > It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
    > well in XP otherwise.)
    >
    > What could be the problem?
    >
    > Help will be appreciated.

    You need to set up a "DOS Printer" or LPT1:
    For networked printers use...
    net use LPT1:\\My_Server\Printer
    There are various administrative setups that deny certain ports or config
    ability.
    Get more information from the XP help (Startup->Help).

    hth
    -ralph
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Stan Hilliard" <usenetreplyMS@samplingplansNOTSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
    > One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
    > just hangs the DOS window.
    >
    > The internal code is like
    > OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
    > PRINT #1, etc.
    >
    > It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
    > related?
    >
    > It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
    > well in XP otherwise.)
    >
    > What could be the problem?

    With every new version of Windows, you can expect less and less support for
    16 bit apps. You're talking about a DOS app (which WinXP probably suppports
    even less than a 16 bit Windows app). It wouldn't surprise me at all that a
    DOS app can't print, let alone "see" some printers, particularly newer
    printers that use USB. You say it has printed from Win98 and Win2000. On
    these systems, what kind of printer is installed? Is this a network printer
    and are these Win98 and Win2000 systems on the same network and using the
    same printer as the WinXP system that won't print?

    IMO, there's no reason to expect a DOS program to work 100% under WinXP. You
    might be able to work-around things, but it's probably trial and error and
    hacks at best.

    --
    Mike
    Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

    "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message

    > "Stan Hilliard" <usenetreplyMS@samplingplansNOTSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
    > > One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
    > > just hangs the DOS window.
    > >
    > > The internal code is like
    > > OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
    > > PRINT #1, etc.
    > >
    > > It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
    > > related?
    > >
    > > It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
    > > well in XP otherwise.)
    > >
    > > What could be the problem?
    >

    > With every new version of Windows, you can expect less and less support
    for
    > 16 bit apps. You're talking about a DOS app (which WinXP probably
    suppports
    > even less than a 16 bit Windows app). It wouldn't surprise me at all that
    > DOS app can't print, let alone "see" some printers, particularly newer
    > printers that use USB. You say it has printed from Win98 and Win2000. On
    > these systems, what kind of printer is installed? Is this a network
    printer
    > and are these Win98 and Win2000 systems on the same network and using the
    > same printer as the WinXP system that won't print?
    >
    > IMO, there's no reason to expect a DOS program to work 100% under WinXP.
    You
    > might be able to work-around things, but it's probably trial and error and
    > hacks at best.
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

    To amplify "DOS" command line commands are not even supported on 64-bit
    Windows. I don't know if this is just part of the 'prototype' or if it is a
    sign of things to come.

    -ralph
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:25:21 -0500, Stan Hilliard wrote:

    > I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
    > One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
    > just hangs the DOS window.
    >
    > The internal code is like
    > OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
    > PRINT #1, etc.
    >
    > It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
    > related?
    >
    > It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
    > well in XP otherwise.)
    >
    > What could be the problem?
    >
    > Help will be appreciated.

    It works for me, XP Home SP2, HPLJ1100 on network print server mapped as
    LPT1

    I'd be interested in exactly what printer this is going to. Perhaps it's
    more of a printer issue than an OS issue.

    --
    HK
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:13:27 -0500, Ralph wrote:

    > "MikeD" <nobody@nowhere.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Stan Hilliard" <usenetreplyMS@samplingplansNOTSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a legacy program written in VBDOS that runs in a DOS window.
    >>> One of my customers using Windows XP can't print. The attempt to print
    >>> just hangs the DOS window.
    >>>
    >>> The internal code is like
    >>> OPEN "O", #1, "PRN"
    >>> PRINT #1, etc.
    >>>
    >>> It has printed from windows 98 and 2000. Could it be windows XP
    >>> related?
    >>>
    >>> It is not practical to change the program. (The program seems to work
    >>> well in XP otherwise.)
    >>>
    >>> What could be the problem?
    >>

    >> With every new version of Windows, you can expect less and less support
    > for
    >> 16 bit apps. You're talking about a DOS app (which WinXP probably
    > suppports
    >> even less than a 16 bit Windows app). It wouldn't surprise me at all that
    >> DOS app can't print, let alone "see" some printers, particularly newer
    >> printers that use USB. You say it has printed from Win98 and Win2000. On
    >> these systems, what kind of printer is installed? Is this a network
    > printer
    >> and are these Win98 and Win2000 systems on the same network and using the
    >> same printer as the WinXP system that won't print?
    >>
    >> IMO, there's no reason to expect a DOS program to work 100% under WinXP.
    > You
    >> might be able to work-around things, but it's probably trial and error and
    >> hacks at best.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike
    >> Microsoft MVP Visual Basic
    >>

    > To amplify "DOS" command line commands are not even supported on 64-bit
    > Windows. I don't know if this is just part of the 'prototype' or if it is a
    > sign of things to come.
    >
    > -ralph

    Currently XP (32bit) emmulates DOS, XP64 does not. I strongly suspect that
    this will not change. Solutions abound however with virtualization. Some
    time ago MS bought VirtualPC. I would not be at all surprised to find that
    in the future, DOS support will come through this scenario. It may require
    an additional purchase, or MS might just bundle a very lite version for
    legacy support.

    --
    HK
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Could you clarify what you mean by a "DOS" or "Window-Only" printer?

    Some printers, even printers that connect through a standard parallel port,
    (many of the HP Deskjet range, for example) will only work properly when
    addressed through their own printer drivers, which by and large means that
    they are effectively "page printers" that need the appropriate Windows (or
    other) printer driver to produce an output. There is nothing you can do to
    them (hardware wise) to get them to accept simple "old fashioned" Ascii
    codes and control codes to print text in the old fashioned way.

    Mike
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message
    > "Ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Could you clarify what you mean by a "DOS" or "Window-Only" printer?
    >
    > Some printers, even printers that connect through a standard parallel
    port,
    > (many of the HP Deskjet range, for example) will only work properly when
    > addressed through their own printer drivers, which by and large means that
    > they are effectively "page printers" that need the appropriate Windows (or
    > other) printer driver to produce an output. There is nothing you can do to
    > them (hardware wise) to get them to accept simple "old fashioned" Ascii
    > codes and control codes to print text in the old fashioned way.
    >
    > Mike

    OK. You mean USB Printers will have difficultiy in supporting some kinds of
    'direct' printing. But as the console inherently supports "Windows printing"
    this should ever be a problem in normal practice.

    thanks,
    -ralph
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Could you clarify what you mean by a "DOS" or "Window-Only" printer?

    Some printers, even printers that connect through a standard parallel port,
    (many of the HP Deskjet range, for example) will only work properly when
    addressed through their own printer drivers, which by and large means that
    they are effectively "page printers" that need the appropriate Windows (or
    other) printer driver to produce an output. There is nothing you can do to
    them (hardware wise) to get them to accept simple "old fashioned" Ascii
    codes and control codes to print text in the old fashioned way.

    Mike
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Could you clarify what you mean by a "DOS" or "Window-Only" printer?

    Some printers, even printers that connect through a standard parallel port,
    (many of the HP Deskjet range, for example) will only work properly when
    addressed through their own printer drivers, which by and large means that
    they are effectively "page printers" that need the appropriate Windows (or
    other) printer driver to produce an output. There is nothing you can do to
    them (hardware wise) to get them to accept simple "old fashioned" Ascii
    codes and control codes to print text in the old fashioned way.

    Mike
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Ralph" <nt_consulting64@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Could you clarify what you mean by a "DOS" or "Window-Only" printer?

    Some printers, even printers that connect through a standard parallel port,
    (many of the HP Deskjet range, for example) will only work properly when
    addressed through their own printer drivers, which by and large means that
    they are effectively "page printers" that need the appropriate Windows (or
    other) printer driver to produce an output. There is nothing you can do to
    them (hardware wise) to get them to accept simple "old fashioned" Ascii
    codes and control codes to print text in the old fashioned way.

    Mike
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,microsoft.public.vb.dos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Mike Williams" <Mike@WhiskyAndCoke.com> wrote in message

    .. . . sorry about the multiple postings. Bit of a hiccup this end :-(

    Mike

DOS Microsoft Windows XP