Pentium 4/M?

ZeroX

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Hiya. I am new to this forum. I have two silly questions and I hope they can be answered by some of the experts here :)

1) What's the difference between Pentium M and Pentium 4 for notebook? Which one is more powerful?

2) I am planning to buy a new notebook which is good for both gaming and work. Currently I am using a Toshiba Satellite 5200. 60G HDD, 512mb ram, 64mb Nvidia Geforce4 460 Go w/ Harman/Kardon Speakers. Multi-DVD Drivers (DVD+/-RW,CD+/-RW) I am looking for something of similar quality.

Thanks everyone!!

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if I'm not mistaken the P4 and P4-M both have the same performance at a given speed. Its just that the P4M runs on lower voltage and has speed-step built into it so battery life is longer.

its better if u can give us a budget for your second question.

edit- I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5150 right now
specs are
P4M 3.06GHz with HT
512MB 333MHz RAM
32MB GeForceFX 5200go (sux but can run FarCry at low settings)
40GB 4200RPM HDD (a real bottleneck)

I'm quite happy with it but I have a few grouches
1)runs hot at full capacity
2)heavy when u gotta lug it around (abt 4 kilograms with power brick)
3)sucky video
4)slow HDD which runs very hot (abt 60 degrees C when playing farcry without airconditioning, 54degrees C with aircond set at 27 degrees C. makes me wonder what will happen if i fit a 5400 rpm drive or even worse 7200 rpm)
5)only 2 usb ports
6)no parallel port (I've got an old printer)

All in all i think you're better off with a Pentium M system. the Dell 8600 looks good though I'd probably get blasted for recommending a Dell
:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bigrat on 06/17/04 06:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ZeroX

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Thank you for your reply Bigrat.

My Pentium 4 Toshiba also has Speedstep technology as well. The reason that I am not very happy with my current notebook is because of the quality of it's combo drive, the DVD+/-RW is only 1x and the video card doesn't support Shader 1.0 which is required to play many up and coming 3D games. Budget is not too much of a problem, as I will most likely sell my current one and use the money to get a new one. Thanks!

akerman

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
"1) What's the difference between Pentium M and Pentium 4 for notebook? Which one is more powerful?"

Have you even considered just looking at another thread in this forum? Or even searched google? This question is so easily answered by yourself... what bigrat said is not correct at all btw.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe u didnt read my second post.
actually i misread the question and thought he was comparing the P4 and P4-M i guess i should correct it in the post itself.

edit- corrected it already. sorry for the confusion caused
:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bigrat on 06/17/04 06:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>