Sign in with
Your question

Core I5 and Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
September 16, 2009 3:31:45 PM

I just got a new PC with the Core I5 and simply a Ati Radeon 4850 video card Since my installer has a Handy copy of Windows 7 Beta release he put it in. I am happy with just about everything with this new PC. But since I started monitoring in Task Manager, I find a svchost.exe (Network Service) and SearchFilterHoast.exe (System) that are taking 10% -17% each (total of 28% - 35%) of my CPU usage at all time. IS this normal? Doesn't this eat up my processing power? And is there anything I can do to improve the situation?

More about : core windows

a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2009 4:24:57 PM

svchost.exe is a generic windows process used by other programs/drivers to perform routine tasks.

Open up the Task Manager (you may type taskmgr.exe in the Start Menu Search Bar, Ctrl+Alt+Delete or by Right-Clicking on the taskbar and selecting Start Task Manager)

On the Process tab select "Show Processes From All Users"

Scroll through the listing - there should be some number of svchost entries. Find the offending one, right click it and select 'Go To Service /s'

That will jump to the services tab - the services associated with that particular svchost.exe instance will be highlighted.

From that, you should be able to tell the source program/driver which is using svchost.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 16, 2009 4:44:15 PM

Scotteq said:
Scroll through the listing - there should be some number of svchost entries. Find the offending one, right click it and select 'Go To Service /s"
Now there's something I hadn't discovered yet. Great tip, thanks!
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2009 1:00:59 PM

Scotteq said:
svchost.exe is a generic windows process used by other programs/drivers to perform routine tasks.

Open up the Task Manager (you may type taskmgr.exe in the Start Menu Search Bar, Ctrl+Alt+Delete or by Right-Clicking on the taskbar and selecting Start Task Manager)

On the Process tab select "Show Processes From All Users"

Scroll through the listing - there should be some number of svchost entries. Find the offending one, right click it and select 'Go To Service /s'

That will jump to the services tab - the services associated with that particular svchost.exe instance will be highlighted.

From that, you should be able to tell the source program/driver which is using svchost.

HI Scotteg:

That's certainly helpful. What I got out of this svchost in the Service Tab is a "RpcSs - Remote Procedure Call - (rpcss group) & RpcEptMapper - RPC Endpoint Mapper - (RPCSS Group). I Googled it and saw it's for some kind of pc communicating with another. Do you have any idea what this is about?

As for the SearchFilterHost, with the same maneuver, I can't get a high lite on the Service Tab. Do you know what it is?

Any idea it's common for them to be sapping up 30% of my processing power at all time? Anything you can recommend I do?

Thanx!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 17, 2009 1:43:32 PM

30% of processor power? or 30% of memory?

The RPc stuff is part of the networking stack - First thing I would check is the device manager for any flags on your network adaptors. Did you install device specific drivers for these? Or (much more common) did you allow Win 7 to locate one for you?

m
l
September 18, 2009 4:16:27 PM

Scotteq said:
30% of processor power? or 30% of memory?

The RPc stuff is part of the networking stack - First thing I would check is the device manager for any flags on your network adaptors. Did you install device specific drivers for these? Or (much more common) did you allow Win 7 to locate one for you?

Hi Scotteg:

Actually it's 25% - 30+% CPU and 20+% RAM. It's the first time I'm using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. So that required a disk for driver. Other than that, my Gigabyte Mobo and ATI graphic card required installation disk and was done at the very beginning.

Devise Manger side is OK. ONe thing I noticed when I updated my Gigabyte mobo's software, my networking didn't work anymore. I lost ADSL model connection to PC even though modem indicated connection to ISP was OK. I had to use the Gigagyte installation disk to reinstall my network driver.
m
l
!