SMC 7004WBR: internal machines can't all see each other

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: comp.networks,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have a DSL modem connected to an SMC 7004WBR (which SMC has discontinued
and no longer supports) with a few machines behind the 7004. The 7004 is
a DHCP server for those machines.

One machine is also aliased to an internal (192.168.123.x) address outside
the range of the DHCP pool. That alias is used to reference the target
machine as a "virtual server" in the wireless router's configuration.
This is so the server can provide services outside the router/firewall
(http, mail, etc). The router's external address provides access to these
services.

The server, though behind the firewall and having two internal addresses
(of the form 192.168.123.x), responds only to the router's external
address (which is actually assigned to the DSL-modem-facing side of the
SMC router).

So, for example, I see the following anomalies:

1. from inside the router/firewall, I can only access services on the
server using the external address of the router. I would expect that
I should be able to access them using the machine's internal
(192.168.123.x) address.

2. I can not ping the router from the cable-connected server, but can from
the wireless linked machines.

3. From inside, I can only access services on the server by opening the
port on the firewall and using the external address.

Can anyone give me a hint how I might access my behind-the-firewall-but-
publically-reachable server from behind the firewall?

Thanks very much.

Richard

On 10 Jun 2004 16:20:30 GMT, Richard <wmxszy@cs.bu.edu> uncorked the
following:

|>I have a DSL modem connected to an SMC 7004WBR (which SMC has discontinued
|>and no longer supports) with a few machines behind the 7004. The 7004 is
|>a DHCP server for those machines.
|>
|>One machine is also aliased to an internal (192.168.123.x) address outside
|>the range of the DHCP pool. That alias is used to reference the target
|>machine as a "virtual server" in the wireless router's configuration.
|>This is so the server can provide services outside the router/firewall
|>(http, mail, etc). The router's external address provides access to these
|>services.
|>
|>The server, though behind the firewall and having two internal addresses
|>(of the form 192.168.123.x), responds only to the router's external
|>address (which is actually assigned to the DSL-modem-facing side of the
|>SMC router).

You lose me here: your LAN-side server has two internal addresses?

<<snipped>>

Richard <wmxszy@cs.bu.edu> wrote:
> I have a DSL modem connected to an SMC 7004WBR (which SMC has discontinued
> and no longer supports) with a few machines behind the 7004. The 7004 is
> a DHCP server for those machines.

> One machine is also aliased to an internal (192.168.123.x) address outside
> the range of the DHCP pool. That alias is used to reference the target
> machine as a "virtual server" in the wireless router's configuration.
> This is so the server can provide services outside the router/firewall
> (http, mail, etc). The router's external address provides access to these
> services.

When you say aliased, are you referring to the DMZ configuration in the
SMC? I have an SMC7004BR that has one machine in the DMZ. I can access it
from outside by addressing the IP of the router. I can access it from
inside by its original address. I didn't do any aliasing in Windows.
I haven't tried accessing from the private network to the public address.

> 2. I can not ping the router from the cable-connected server, but can from
> the wireless linked machines.

You can't actually ping the router any more. That would be a ping of the
server that you have identified in the DMZ.

--
---

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:05:38 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , Will
Robinson <ô¿ô> wrote:

>You lose me here: your LAN-side server has two internal addresses?

Sure, if its on two network subnets and has two NICs, that makes some
sense. Effectively it would be a router. In this case tho it seems to be on
the same subnet (tho he didn't mention the netmask) so this might cause
some confusion.
--
Mark McIntyre