BSOD, Is it my new RADEON 8500

G

I've had my new computer for about a month now without even a hiccup from XP. Early this evening (3 hours ago) I install and additional 256MB of DDR RAM (kingston) and a RADEON 8500 video card. I followed very cautious procedures in uprgrading the video card as well. In addition, I upgraded the drivers to the most recent OFFICIAL ones from ATI.

After about 2.5 hours after getting everything going I get a BSOD. After the ONE incident it hasn't occurred in over an hour. Anyways, it stated something like this:

----------------------------------------------------
STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XBF836C89, 0XB67F4FC, 0X00000000)

Win32k.sys - address BF836C89 base at BF800000, Datestamp 367de698

--------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody help? Is it the RADEON???? Any suggestiond is greatly appreicated!

Thanks,
J

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Could be bad RAM too. Since you replaced both the RAM and video card, it's hard to tell which it is. I was having similar wacky errors and it turned out that one of my sticks of DDR RAM went bad.

Take out the new RAM and see if the problems go away?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
It's likely either Ram, or just the occasional chance that the Windows Gods frowned on you on this night.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

G

So it's possible that it was a fluke? Maybe since I was installing, rebooting anc changing things around could have caused the BSOD at the time?????

I hope so, I really don't want to send the Kingston RAM or the Radeon back. I'm enjoying them too much! :)

This afternoon I'm going to run MemTest86 and see if it comes up with anything.

As I stated earlier, the BSOD appeared after the computer was on for awhile but I rebooted and everything has been fine since. It's just seems too SPOOKY that it occurs shortly after upgrading the RAM and video card.

Thanks so far!
J

TRENDING THREADS