i386 folder

Tags:
  • Support
  • Windows XP
September 14, 2005 8:15:05 PM

i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
file:windows\system32\config\system
I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"

can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

More about : i386 folder

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 10:06:07 PM

Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
Console. Type:

cd system32\config [enter]
ren system system.old [enter]
ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
exit

peterk

"SANMAN07" <SANMAN07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
> file:windows\system32\config\system
> I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
> problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
> It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"
>
> can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:43:53 PM

SANMAN07 wrote:
> i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
> file:windows\system32\config\system

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

> I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c.

Why? What were you trying to accomplish? This certainly won't help
fix your registry problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
September 15, 2005 11:56:07 AM

Hi Peterk. Sorry but it did not work. I also tried another option from
someone else which also did not work. When I try to type in the first line
"ren system system.old" it tells me "THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE OR
DIRECTORY SPECIFIED". Any other help? thanks again.

"peterk" wrote:

> Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
> error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
> Console. Type:
>
> cd system32\config [enter]
> ren system system.old [enter]
> ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
> copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
> copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
> exit
>
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "SANMAN07" <SANMAN07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
> > file:windows\system32\config\system
> > I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
> > problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
> > It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"
> >
> > can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:06:12 PM

Hi Perterk. Me again. I opened "Config" directory. 2 sytem files in there.
one is system.log & 1 is system.sav. Which am I supposed to rename? thanks
sanman07

"peterk" wrote:

> Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
> error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
> Console. Type:
>
> cd system32\config [enter]
> ren system system.old [enter]
> ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
> copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
> copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
> exit
>
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "SANMAN07" <SANMAN07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
> > file:windows\system32\config\system
> > I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
> > problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
> > It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"
> >
> > can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:56:06 PM

Your Missing the files.The file is named System........just System no
extensions.

I suggest a Repair Install

!