i386 folder

i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
file:windows\system32\config\system
I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"

can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?
5 answers Last reply
More about i386 folder

    Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
    error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
    Console. Type:

    cd system32\config [enter]
    ren system system.old [enter]
    ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
    copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
    copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
    exit

    peterk

    SANMAN07 wrote:
    > i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
    > file:windows\system32\config\system

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    > I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c.

    Why? What were you trying to accomplish? This certainly won't help
    fix your registry problem.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Peterk. Sorry but it did not work. I also tried another option from
    someone else which also did not work. When I try to type in the first line
    "ren system system.old" it tells me "THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE OR
    DIRECTORY SPECIFIED". Any other help? thanks again.

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
    > error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
    > Console. Type:
    >
    > cd system32\config [enter]
    > ren system system.old [enter]
    > ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
    > copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
    > copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
    > exit
    >
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "SANMAN07" <SANMAN07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
    > > file:windows\system32\config\system
    > > I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
    > > problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
    > > It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"
    > >
    > > can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

    Hi Perterk. Me again. I opened "Config" directory. 2 sytem files in there.
    one is system.log & 1 is system.sav. Which am I supposed to rename? thanks
    sanman07

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
    > error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
    > Console. Type:
    >
    > cd system32\config [enter]
    > ren system system.old [enter]
    > ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
    > copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
    > copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
    > exit
    >
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "SANMAN07" <SANMAN07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
    > > file:windows\system32\config\system
    > > I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think the
    > > problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
    > > It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"
    > >
    > > can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

    Your Missing the files.The file is named System........just System no
    extensions.

    I suggest a Repair Install

    > Hi Perterk. Me again. I opened "Config" directory. 2 sytem files in there.
    > one is system.log & 1 is system.sav. Which am I supposed to rename? thanks
    > sanman07
    >
    > "peterk" wrote:
    >
    >> Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
    >> error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
    >> Console. Type:
    >>
    >> cd system32\config [enter]
    >> ren system system.old [enter]
    >> ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
    >> copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
    >> exit
    >>
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    >> "SANMAN07" <SANMAN07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >i get the error "windows cannot start because of a missing or corrupt
    >> > file:windows\system32\config\system
    >> > I tried copying the i386 folder from cd to c. But to no avail. I think
    >> > the
    >> > problem is me: i don't know how to do it exactly.
    >> > It tells me that "copy" does not support wildcards or directory copies"
    >> >
    >> > can someone tell how to do this please and thanks?

Support Windows XP