andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

I have a new microphone (audio plug, not USB) that works some of the time,
and when it does, it works fine, but at other times, it doesn't work at all.
I have XP Pro, with the speech recognition software installed, and it has
worked fine some of the time, and not at all at other times. There is no
in-between, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. How can I verify that
XP is recognizing the mike? Is there some sort of set-up to do? I don't
have anything muted. This is frustrating and confusing.

This mic should work on any other audio product that takes a mic. You could
have a loose wire somewhere in the mic cable/jack/mic.

"AndyB" <AndyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new microphone (audio plug, not USB) that works some of the time,
> and when it does, it works fine, but at other times, it doesn't work at
> all.
> I have XP Pro, with the speech recognition software installed, and it has
> worked fine some of the time, and not at all at other times. There is no
> in-between, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. How can I verify
> that
> XP is recognizing the mike? Is there some sort of set-up to do? I don't
> have anything muted. This is frustrating and confusing.

andyb

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks for your response, but I really think it is not an intermittent wire.
Like I said, when it works (which sometimes happens after I restart the
computer, etc.), it then works solidly, and when it doesn't work, it doesn't
work at all, even with plugging and unplugging the mike... if it were an
intermittent, it would respond differently. Any other ideas?