How do I upgrade GF2 to GF4?

gtlam

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I am currently running a GeForce2 MX. I am already using the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website. I ordered my Leadtek GeForce4 Ti 4400 and it should be here tomorrow. My question is should I continue to use the drivers from the Nvidia website or use the drivers from Leadtek? If I continue to use the drivers from Nvidia website, can I just take out the GF2, put in the GF4 and start it up without uninstalling/reinstalling drivers? The Leadtek driver is version 2750 released on 3/4/2002 and Nvidia is 28.32 dated 3/21/2002. Thanks.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Usually the latest drivers from Nvidia are the way to go. Sometimes people have reported problems with stability with certain hardware/driver combinations. The only way to find out which is best for you is run it for a while and see what happens.

You can switch back and forth between the GF2 and GF4 without installing/uninstalling the drivers. That is the beauty of Nvidia. All their drivers dating back to the TNT based cards use the same drivers.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You should be able to simply swap out the card, and Windows should autodetect the new card.

You may want to try the Leadtek drivers out simply because they sometimes have some special tweeks for the card, but unlikely. Do check the CD for other usefull utilities though.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates