Dlink multiple Routers DHCP Stops Responding?

Dlink wasn't sure why I was having this problem and I am looking for
advice.

We have a 20,000 sq ft. facilty we are trying to make a free wireless
hotspot.

Using a Dlink DI-614+ (rev. B) acting as a central router gateway with
DHCP enabled.

We have three 514 wireless routers that are hard wired back to the
614. the 514's have DHCP disabled.

All routers are spaced through out the building using the same SSID
with different channel numbers. 6,1,11,1 all spread out so the two
using channel 1 do not over lap.

The problem we are expierecing is the 614 will stop reponding and will
need to be powered down. Once the power is cycled it will function
fine for a time and then again become unresponsive.

There seems to be no pattern to the time it stops responding. Some
time it will stop when it is in use (3 or 4 users) and other times
when no one is on.

We are using DNS redirector running on an XP Pro machine to offer the
welcome page. This is hard wired to one of the ports on the 614.

Any thoughts why this would happen or a way of correcting it?
4 answers Last reply
More about dlink multiple routers dhcp stops responding

    I accidentally sent this to Dan. Sorry about that, it's meant for the NG.

    On 10 Jun 2004 12:16:00 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless you wrote:

    > Dlink wasn't sure why I was having this problem and I am looking for
    > advice.
    >
    > We have a 20,000 sq ft. facilty we are trying to make a free wireless
    > hotspot.
    >
    > Using a Dlink DI-614+ (rev. B) acting as a central router gateway with
    > DHCP enabled.
    >
    > We have three 514 wireless routers that are hard wired back to the
    > 614. the 514's have DHCP disabled.
    >
    > All routers are spaced through out the building using the same SSID
    > with different channel numbers. 6,1,11,1 all spread out so the two
    > using channel 1 do not over lap.
    >
    > The problem we are expierecing is the 614 will stop reponding and will
    > need to be powered down. Once the power is cycled it will function
    > fine for a time and then again become unresponsive.
    >
    > There seems to be no pattern to the time it stops responding. Some
    > time it will stop when it is in use (3 or 4 users) and other times
    > when no one is on.
    >
    > We are using DNS redirector running on an XP Pro machine to offer the
    > welcome page. This is hard wired to one of the ports on the 614.
    >
    > Any thoughts why this would happen or a way of correcting it?

    I had the same problem, if I read you correctly. Wireless routers were set
    up as an access points on a wired router. Things would work for a few
    hours, then we would lose access to the internet. The laptops would still
    show the same IP, but an ipconfig /release . . . /renew would not work. I
    replaced the routers-as-access points with real access points, and the
    problem is solved.

    I haven't been able to trace the actual problem. It seems to occur for me
    on Win2K laptops (several brands) with several different wireless PCCards.
    My laptop with XP did not exhibit this behavior. I didn't want to demand
    that anyone wanting to use this wlan has to run XP, so I changed the
    hardware.

    I'd be curious if anyone has seen this, and perhaps traced it through.

    Barry

    Thanks Barry,

    Sounds like I need to replace the routers with access points.

    Can anyone tell me the difference between a wireless router and
    wireless access point?

    I am looking at replacing tht 514's with 3 DWL-700AP's.

    Here is my set up:

    DI-614 acting as the central wireless router with DHCP enabled.

    To that the 3 700AP's will be hard wired back. They use the same SSID
    and different channels.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=223

    Thanks, Dan

    On 12 Jun 2004 08:01:23 -0700, Dan wrote:

    > Thanks Barry,
    >
    > Sounds like I need to replace the routers with access points.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me the difference between a wireless router and
    > wireless access point?
    >
    > I am looking at replacing tht 514's with 3 DWL-700AP's.
    >
    > Here is my set up:
    >
    > DI-614 acting as the central wireless router with DHCP enabled.
    >
    > To that the 3 700AP's will be hard wired back. They use the same SSID
    > and different channels.
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=223
    >
    > Thanks, Dan

    Looks like a real straight forward approach to me. You can probably sell
    the routers on eBay. That's pretty straight forward too!

    --
    Barry

    "Dan" <docean@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me the difference between a wireless router and
    > wireless access point?

    A wired router in the SOHO category (sometimes called a Residential Gateway)
    is really two devices in one: a router with two interfaces (WAN and LAN)
    and an Ethernet switch. If you see 4 LAN jacks, then it really has a 5 port
    Ethernet switch with one of the port connected internally to the router LAN
    interface (which is not exposed externally).

    A wireless router has all of the above plus a wireless Access Point. An AP
    is basically a radio transmitter and receiver connected internally to an
    Ethernet jack. In the wireless router, another port on the Ethernet switch
    is internally connected to the Ethernet port on the AP.

    view this diagram in a Fixed-Pitch Font:

    broadband modem

    WAN interface (external)
    router
    LAN interface (internal)