ATI's Excuses

TheRipper

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2002
I've been watching this forum for a long time (stalking you MUHAHAHA!) and notice every little Ati supporter constantly claims "Oh, but they didn't use the latest beta drivers!" Guess what- hardware sites use official because it's offical! Stop complaining, cause the R8500 isn't gonna get a magic speed increase from a damn little driver.

Every day, dreamers die. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
actually...there is a driver out there that can increase performance by around 10-40%...but they're obviously beta drivers...
anyways...nice to someone new here...but not the best way to get attention (or make your first post).

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, it is common to get "magic speed increases" from new drivers. Which kind of is the point of new drivers, isn't it? This applies to ATI products as well as Nvidia.

Of course, if you knew as much as you seem to think you do, you'd know this already, wouldn't you?

Thanks for dropping by.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I've been watching this forum for a long time (and posting good info and questions) and notice every little nVidia fanboy constantly claims "Oh, but you can't claim that cause those are beta drivers!" Guess what, so are most of the nvidia drivers we use. Stop complaining, cause the Graphics industry is competitive and your board might be the most uber out there for very long cause its in your damn little case.

Every day, dreamers dreams come true. If you have a great dream, work hard, it can happen. My family histry proves it right along with nearly everyone else's who lives in the USA.

"OOOOO Shiny things. I can make powerful equipment with shiny things!" - The imp Butler from BGII

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Of course they are using the official drivers, and untill ATI actualy releases the Beta drivers, sites will continue to use older ones.

Nvidia has claimed 30% speed increase with a single new release of their new Detonator drivers at times (First release of the D3s and the DXPs). ATI hasn't claimed any speed increases on their sites, but several ATI users, myself included, have had noticable performance increases in some instances (3 OpenGL tests at almost triple the FPS than an older driver).

Personaly, I just happen to see a lot of headroom left in the 8500 in their drivers that I don't see in the GF4 or GF3. But untill ATI releases one of the nicer driver sets (Probably late this month or early next month), most sites will test using the current ATI driver.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, let's see, the Detonator 3 drivers improved GF2 performance 10-25%. The Detonator XP drivers improved the GF3 30%. How did nVidia do it? Magic? No, OPTIMIZATION! There is no such thing as magic in the computer world but there will always be a better and faster way to accomplish the same thing. That what new drivers do! The code is streamlined to do the same thing in less time by avoiding memory leaks and by circumventing the horribly unoptimized Windows API, etc.

As an amateur programmer, I think what you just said is ignorant.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Great first impression, try being a little nicer though. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum and this post isn't going to help you make friends, unless you're looking for just the nVidia fanatics.

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
You baffled me with bullshit. lol
Nice to see someone new around but what exactly is your post about, the idea that ati fans complain.
I agree that the 8500 will not get a MAGIC increase in performance.

Just wondering, You a nvidia fan? :)
Next time post something with substance.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I agree that the 8500 will not get a MAGIC increase in performance.
Yup, no magic is involved, just some math and computer science. :tongue:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
ah, AMD_MAN you have to be one of my favorite posters.
I knew you were going to say something about my magic response. lol. Feels good to be back after taking a while off not using the computer.

eden

Champion
Worst nightmare ever?
Going to the countrylife for one weekend, with no electricity and NO LAPTOPS... try to sleep on THAT! Oh and add the fact that the neighbours have no clue what is a computer.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Your response flame led me to notice that the sig of the week did change since I was here last. I though that was a anual event. lol. About the not using my computer flame, I thought I needed a break to do other things like read, and other things I enjoy.

Too much of anything can be dangerous, even computers

Sig of week

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I suppose too much food, water, and tons of vegetables can be bad, but I'm so damn hungry today...must be growing or something....I'll see how tall I am tomorrow:) How about no using computer for 5 weeks straight and being out in teh forest for 2 weeks w/ only 6 people, and no other sitings of humans or anything like that. Just nature. Well, that actually was really cool, and I remember the 3rd day I was on that adventure, I found a place where this hermit had lived, and it was creepy cause there was still his old broken down rusty stove. I wanted to camp there but had to move on. Hehe, I;m doing it again this summer!

Sig of the week.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
How about no using computer for 5 weeks straight and being out in teh forest for 2 weeks w/ only 6 people
And one by one... we vote eachother out of the woods... oh wait, that's been done :wink:

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think what he was trying to say is that people complain that hard ware review sites don't use the ati beta drivers in there benchmarking and that is why the ATI cards are misrepresented. This does sound right that most sites would use the official drivers, but it goes both ways. I'm sure they don't use beta nvidia drivers in their reviews either. Then again they don't really need to do they :smile:

If my response is brief and vague its because the info you provided is too!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I use the old driver off the cd of my geforce, only because it's simple to switch from monitor to tv and back. While it's a total biotch doing the switch with the detonator driver.

Original driver: Ctrl+Alt+T for tv and back
Detonator: clicking around in Properties/Settings/Advanced

If anyone know a simple switch with the detonator please step forward. I had enough of yelling to wife asking where to click (tv is two rooms away from here so can't see anything), so not using detonator for a long time now

<font color=red>Computer upgraded, now need a place to live, and a good divorce lawyer.</font color=red>