Question on Western Digital External Hard drive

September 15, 2005 8:36:16 AM

Question on WD External Drive

Hi all,
I just bought a WD 250 External HD for backup purposes. I just read in the
documentation that it "is preformatted as a single FAT 32 partition for
compatibility with all Windows operating systems..."
My XP Pro system is formatted in NTFS. Is this going to create a problem
with an image of my system backed up on this external drive?
Thanks for any info
Gary
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:08:33 PM

"msnews.microsoft.com" <boycefamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Question on WD External Drive
>
> Hi all,
> I just bought a WD 250 External HD for backup purposes. I just read in the
> documentation that it "is preformatted as a single FAT 32 partition for
> compatibility with all Windows operating systems..."
> My XP Pro system is formatted in NTFS. Is this going to create a problem
> with an image of my system backed up on this external drive?
> Thanks for any info
> Gary

Windows XP can utilize a FAT32 file system with no problem.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:10:42 PM

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:p qadnW00qO7SHbTeRVn-tQ@adelphia.com...

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <boycefamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> Question on WD External Drive
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I just bought a WD 250 External HD for backup purposes. I just read in
>> the documentation that it "is preformatted as a single FAT 32 partition
>> for compatibility with all Windows operating systems..."
>> My XP Pro system is formatted in NTFS. Is this going to create a problem
>> with an image of my system backed up on this external drive?
>> Thanks for any info
>> Gary
>
> Windows XP can utilize a FAT32 file system with no problem.

PS. If you want to use the external drive on other computer systems, DO
NOT convert it to NTFS.
Related resources
September 15, 2005 4:07:26 PM

It should NOT be a problem, once the HD is installed as the slave and
recognized by xp, go to the disk mgr and reformat in NFFS.

"msnews.microsoft.com" <boycefamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Question on WD External Drive
>
> Hi all,
> I just bought a WD 250 External HD for backup purposes. I just read in the
> documentation that it "is preformatted as a single FAT 32 partition for
> compatibility with all Windows operating systems..."
> My XP Pro system is formatted in NTFS. Is this going to create a problem
> with an image of my system backed up on this external drive?
> Thanks for any info
> Gary

September 15, 2005 4:07:27 PM

> "msnews.microsoft.com" <boycefamily@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>> I just bought a WD 250 External HD for backup purposes. I just read in
>> the documentation that it "is preformatted as a single FAT 32 partition
>> for compatibility with all Windows operating systems..."
>> My XP Pro system is formatted in NTFS. Is this going to create a problem
>> with an image of my system backed up on this external drive?
>> Thanks for any info
>> Gary

>Jerry" <jhuffman@triad.rr.com> wrote in message It should NOT be a problem,
>once the HD is installed as the slave and recognized by xp, go to the disk
>mgr and reformat in NFFS.

Gary:
There is *no* need to re:format your USBEHD from FAT32 to NTFS. As Jerry &
NOG (in another posting) have indicated, XP will have no problem in
recognizing a FAT32 file system. And since you'll be using that EHD for
backup purposes there's no particular advantage of a NTFS files system over
a FAT32 in that situation.

One other thing -- you indicate you plan to use a disk imaging program to,
in effect, "clone" the contents of your system to the EHD. When you do that,
your EHD will contain the file system used by your source disk, in this case
the NTFS file system. So there's no need to re:format your EHD NTFS *prior*
to the disk imaging operation.
Anna
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:30:17 PM

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote:

>> I just bought a WD 250 External HD for backup purposes. I just read in the
>> documentation that it "is preformatted as a single FAT 32 partition for
>> compatibility with all Windows operating systems..."
>> My XP Pro system is formatted in NTFS. Is this going to create a problem
>> with an image of my system backed up on this external drive?
>> Thanks for any info
>> Gary
>
>Windows XP can utilize a FAT32 file system with no problem.

I thought FAT32 had a file size limit of 4gb. If you are using it for
backups and your backup image is larger that that, you've got a
problem. My image backups are currently at 8gb and I have my external
Maxtor 250gb formatted NTFS. If you really have a need for a FAT32
partition, use something like PartitionMagic to create both an NTFS
and FAT32 on the large drive.
September 15, 2005 10:02:39 PM

"Zilbandy" <zil@zilbandyREMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
> I thought FAT32 had a file size limit of 4gb. If you are using it for
> backups and your backup image is larger that that, you've got a
> problem. My image backups are currently at 8gb and I have my external
> Maxtor 250gb formatted NTFS. If you really have a need for a FAT32
> partition, use something like PartitionMagic to create both an NTFS
> and FAT32 on the large drive.

Zilbandy:
The OP will be using a disk imaging program to "clone" the contents of his
XP OS (NTFS formatted) to a USB external HD presently formatted FAT32. When
he performs the cloning operation, the file system, in this case, NTFS, will
be cloned right along with the contents of his source disk. Thus, there is
no file size limit issue in this situation.
Anna
Anna
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:02:40 PM

"Anna" wrote:

>> "Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>>Windows XP can utilize a FAT32 file system with no problem.
>

> "Zilbandy" <zil@zilbandyREMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
>> I thought FAT32 had a file size limit of 4gb. If you are using it for
>> backups and your backup image is larger that that, you've got a
>> problem. My image backups are currently at 8gb and I have my external
>> Maxtor 250gb formatted NTFS. If you really have a need for a FAT32
>> partition, use something like PartitionMagic to create both an NTFS
>> and FAT32 on the large drive.
>

> Zilbandy:
> The OP will be using a disk imaging program to "clone" the contents of his
> XP OS (NTFS formatted) to a USB external HD presently formatted FAT32.
> When he performs the cloning operation, the file system, in this case, NTFS,
> will be cloned right along with the contents of his source disk. Thus, there is
> no file size limit issue in this situation.
> Anna

USB drives cannot contain a "clone", i.e. a bootable exact image,
because PCs don't have a way of boot-strap loading from a USB
device (that I know of). They *can* contain an "image" file, though,
which must be "restored" to a partition on an IDE hard drive (which
*can* then be booted) in order to function as an OS.

*TimDaniels*
August 18, 2009 7:10:57 AM

Files more that 4 GB cannot transfer on Hard disk / External Hard disk .

This is the general problem with the video editors , Well the problem is not so big as you are thinking . . . simply format the Hard drive HDD to NTFS format, don't use quick format in that case use full format , this will help you to solve your problem , but remember the HDD may not work with Apple / Mac machines.

Abhinav Bajpai
bajpaiabihnav@hotmail.com
!