Is ATi rushing the R300 ?

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/12040207.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/12040207.htm</A>

Well there saying sooner then anyone thinks. Also work on the R400 and Rv450 ???

I invented ctrl-alt-del but Bill [Gates] made it famous - Dave Bradley IBM PC designer

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I hope not. I think they rushed the 8500 and pissed a lot of people off (myself included).

I think though they are going to take a lesson from Nvidia and provide drivers that are universal to all ATI based cards. This way there will be some maturity to their drivers unlike the 8500 which was released with crapola drivers which are only getting to be good now.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Doesn't ATi have unified drivers? And i agree with you. When ATi first came out with their 8500, they rushed it soo much that the drivers weren't "optimized" for anything. When the 8500 was compared with a GF3, it got whooped pretty badly. I remember reading about their new set of drivers that came out for it about 1-2 weeks after launch and we could already see a great performance boost. Now the drivers are great! I'm positive ATi won't try that again even if the GF4 is doing pretty well. They can't aford to lose any market share right now.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I think though they are going to take a lesson from Nvidia and provide drivers that are universal to all ATI based cards. This way there will be some maturity to their drivers unlike the 8500 which was released with crapola drivers which are only getting to be good now.
They have. The current Radeon drivers were based off the old Radeon drivers, and they do make improvements to the old Radeon chips.

ATI is finaly learning more about drivers, and begining to squeze everything they can from them. They're still not perfect, but they're getting better and better with each release. This means that the R300 will (Idealy) have more stable drivers.

The Windows Gods demand money to appease the BSOD! - Rev. Bill Gates