Dual Monitor Setup, automatic audio output switch how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmcintire

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I've scoured the internets looking for my answer but I've come up empty, so I turn to you. I have my plasma hooked up to my computer via HDMI and my monitor hooked up the same way. What I'm looking for is the ability to change the audio output automatically based on which monitor is showing the source program. For example, if I'm watching hulu, or using skype and I drag the program over to the HDTV, I'd like the audio for those programs to come out of the TV speakers automatically. (I know I can change the output source manually but my girlfriend isn't so savvy...) Something like this doesn't seem like it would be impossible to make happen and I can't be the first person to wish for this.. Please let me know if you know something I may have overlooked.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
I've pondered the same thing. I found nothing on the internet. I have an Asus g72 laptop. I have the default speakers set to the TV... so as soon as I plug it in it pumps out of that. But when I take myl aptop elsewehre, I have to go into control panel and tell it to use the laptop speakers.
I often wished there would be a program like you are talking about, but have never been able to find anything- almost like a software version of a router for sound.

ericmcintire

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
It really seems like it should be simple enough, I'm sure there is some code that indicates which source the audio is coming from and where that source is being displayed. There must be something that can just say *if output source = x then audio output = x*

Michael_p

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
did you ever get this addressed? I have a dual monitor setup, Analog and digital outputs on a HD4670 card, and a TV hooked up to HDMI. I want to be able to select HDMI or 2nd desktop monitor depending on use, and haev audio follow that selection without disconnecting cables or goign to control panels.
thanks

Mike Data

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
My set up works, however, every time I plug in a new monitor or set something up, I have to pay with it to get it working properly again, and up until now, I was never sure how I got it right.

My current set up is on the Intel Graphics and Media Control panel- or whatever similar set up interface you have. I have two modes, one for TV Time and one for Normal use.

Fist I set up option one, which is saved as "TV Time", I have the monitor set to clone displays at the TV's resolution. Under audio (Playback Devices), I have the TV set as the default device. So when "TV Time" mode is selected, video goes to HDMI and audio is going to TV automatically.

I set up my primary mode secondly and saved it as "Normal Mode". Normal use is set to single display, and the correct monitor resolution, and Monitor as Primary display. So when you switch to "Normal Mode" it shuts off the HDMI and then in Sound, it no longer has the TV as an audio option, so in Sound (Playback devices) options, "Speakers" are set to default audio device.

4ri

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Try going to your Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Sound (Manage Audio Devices) -> Click on the relevant speaker, you can test this by clicking 'test' -> Set Default

That's how I solved my issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.